Need Advice on Media Streamer Gift - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
dst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to purchase a holiday gift for someone that has 2 TB of movies stored on an external USB drive, but currently no way to play them to a TV. The keys are being able to directly attach the USB drive, having a good UI/remote, and high quality playback. Popcorn Hour or Dune would be ideal, but probably overkill for the gift. I think there may be some reasonable options under $100 (e.g., WD TV Live, Micca, etc.), but potentially willing to go up to $200 if there is a major bump in functionality or ease of use. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post

Looking to purchase a holiday gift for someone that has 2 TB of movies stored on an external USB drive, but currently no way to play them to a TV. The keys are being able to directly attach the USB drive, having a good UI/remote, and high quality playback. Popcorn Hour or Dune would be ideal, but probably overkill for the gift. I think there may be some reasonable options under $100 (e.g., WD TV Live, Micca, etc.), but potentially willing to go up to $200 if there is a major bump in functionality or ease of use. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

My choices would be at $100 would be depending on the type of files (you didn't mention on that 2tb drive)

Here is a pretty good reference of all media players on the market - past - present - http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php

My choices............

1. WD TV LIVE latest generation
2. Boxee Box if you can find it cheap - might be $150 or (used)
3. Dune HD TV series
4. Netgear NeoTV 550 if you can find it...

$200 or above....

1. Dune Smart series - plays anything
2. Mede8er MD1000X3D - has a few issues but a better gui interface then dune, plays 3d allegedly..
3. New Dune Premium series - not yet release yet...

Vincent Hanna: "It keeps me sharp on the edge where I gotta be."
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
You're best bet would be the new Mede8er MED600x3D, I believe is $190 dollars. Dune Smart Series are over $300, PCH-A300 and A400 have annoying bugs. WDTV doesn't support BD ISO branching. Also, none of these media players support force subs correctly either. With some movies you will have to turn on the forced subs manually.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page