Help with search....audio to toslink or coax digital??? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize in advance for the newbie questions - I've searched and read so much I'm now completely confused.

I'm wanting a device I can stream video with, including Netflix obviously and it's my understanding that Netflix audio is mostly DD+ now.

My Yamaha HTR-5640 receiver has only toslink and coax digital in, I'd like to keep this box if possible. I looked at Roku but only hdmi out there so I assume they're out. Not interested in Apple TV. So I'm focused on PS3 because of the optical out. I don't mind paying more for the PS3 if I can get what I need, then get blue ray and gaming as bonuses. I'm open to other options however, if there are any.

So, my main questions are, will I be able to get "surround sound" through my audio set-up with PS3? Will there be any limitations? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

fwiw my receiver "provides DTS ES Discrete 6.1, Neo:6, and DTS ES Matrix 6.1 decoding as well as Dolby Digital EX and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding"

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry but all I can add is nix the Yamaha receiver.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Look at the WD Live, i believe it has optical out, does Netflix 1080 too.