I need a recommendation on a new STB for the living room to do streaming.
My current setup is:
- Linux server running in my wiring closet, currently sharing media via SMB
- Xtreamer Sidewinder (original, not Sidewinder 2 or Sidewinder 3) in the living room plugged into a Sharp Aquos 46" via HDMI
- XBMC running on all our PCs in the house, in case the kids want to watch something in their bedroom
I have CAT5 throughout my house, so I don't need any WiFi or anything. The media is mostly MKVs in either 720p or 1080p, but at some point I would like to upgrade my living room tv to a larger 3D-capable TV. I also have some BluRay rips and other misc formats, but not many. In addition I have some MP3s and photos, mostly JPGs, but the main concern is watching the video content.
The Xtreamer has served me pretty well over its many years of use. I do have an HDD installed in it, but I never put anything on it...all content is streamed over SMB right now. The driving factor for changing is that we just bought a new TV for the bedroom, so the current Xtreamer Sidewinder will go there.
- Would like it to be 3D-capable...as mentioned I would like to get a new TV for the living room at some point, and I would like to future-proof the purchase as much as possible.
- I don't care about Netflix, Hulu, Amazon VOD, or other such apps. I have an XBox 360 and it does all of that now. If I had one device that did it all, and did it well, that would be a plus, but my understanding is said device does not exist, at least in my price range.
- It needs to be pretty simple to use. I already sort out all my TV and Movies into logical dir structures, and my wife and kids know how to navigate that structure. I do like the XBMC interface, but I have never been able to figure out how to delete stuff from it, which we do often (especially in the living room)
- WiFi is not needed, I have CAT5 strung all over my house.
- An attached BluRay player is not necessary, as I have one in the living room already, but it would be nice to replace two devices with one.
- I would like to keep the price under $300.
I was looking at the Xtreamer Prodigy HD as an option, but I read some reviews out there that make it sound as if its playback is buggy. I had hopes that someone would jailbrake the AppleTV 3, and I could just run XBMC on that, but I have been waiting for that for some time, and it doesn't appear to be happening any time soon.
Thanks for any advice, and I apologize for the lengthy post. I just wanted to make sure I got all of the relavent info into it.