New Netgear Centria WNDR4700 All in One Router and NAS Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've passed you comments on to the PM. He is running this by engineering. Ill post back when I get his reply.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On a related note, do you know if I can use a 3TB or 4TB external hard drive with this router? The HDD and USB Compatibility List states that it works with the Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB HDD (WDBACW0020HBK-NESN) but I'd prefer to get the bigger 3TB variant (WDBACW0030HBK-NESN) or 4TB variant (WDBACW0040HBK-NESN) if possible. Thanks.
post #33 of 53 Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You should be fine with those drives. Be sure they are USB 3.0 to gain best performance. I havent used anything larger then a 2tb myself but Netgear claims compatibility with drives up to 4tb. That said there is a user who has had issues with drives larger then that internally. I am still waiting to hear from Netgear regarding that issue, But a USB drive should be OK.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #34 of 53 Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 PM

Great. Thanks Bob. I'll report back if I have any issues.
post #35 of 53 Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 12
I have a 2tb drive attached to a R6300 and read, write speeds range from upper 50's to low 70's

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #36 of 53 Old 07-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Hey Bob,

Just thought I'd give you an update. I put the 4TB Black in my tower as more of a backup/archive and it's working great. I was temporarily using a 1.5TB Green in the Centria and it worked great, since then I've replaced it with a 3TB Red that I won and it still works great. Definitely something up with the Black series, I'm guessing maybe power consumption.

I actually have an unrelated question that I was hoping you could help me with? Do you know anyone in sales at Netgear? I am interested in a product, but I'm having a very hard time finding it, and their support hasn't been able to help.

I'd really like to get my hands on a Netgear Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point XWN5001, and have been for about a year now. On their site all it's said is "Coming Soon". I do see the Powerline 500 WiFi Access Point XWNB5201 (includes — XWN5001 + XAV5201) has been available for months, but since I bought the Universal Internet Adapter for Home Entertainment XAVB5004 last summer, the WWN5001 would fit best for my needs. Please let me know if you can somehow help me special order one.

I've used Netgear networking products for years, and don't want to substitute a different extender in its place.

Thanks!
post #37 of 53 Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just emailed my sales contact about status. Be back to you when I get an answer.

Glad the 4700 is working out. Love mine. Could also be the specific black drive you have. Since that is the only one that you had issues with could be. But you have a working solution so thats what counts.

Bob
post #38 of 53 Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Heard back from Netgear's VP Sales on this. You are not going to like the answer. Powerline usage in the US is a niche. It does not have a high adoption rate. Unlike Europe which has a very high adoption rate. As such Netgear has decided to only offer the kit which includes the XWN5201 and the XWN5001. The cost of adding another sku in the US didnt make sense since retailers dont like adding additional sku's if they can avoid it. So the decision was made to not offer the stand alone XWN5001 in the US and only offer it in Europe.

So what can you do? Well you can sell off the XWN5201 on Ebay. Or try and get a european version with 110v which might be difficult. And since you have a 500mbs powerline system already having a backup node is always a good thing so getting the kit may not be bad afterall.

Bob
post #39 of 53 Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM

That's a bummer, but thanks for following up!
post #40 of 53 Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Hey Bob,

You seem to be a good source for all things Netgear, so I have a new one for ya. I just bought a Netgear Push2TV - Wireless Display Adapter - PTV3000 to use with my new phone that utilizes MiraCast. It also works with WiDi enabled devices, although I don't have any of those. (Netgear should think about making a USB Stick/Dongle for all computers, as of now it's only built into Intel chips)

So, the question is, does a Netgear NeoTV MAX Streaming Player - NTV300SL, work with MiraCast? I know it is WiDi compatible, so I'm curious if that can be taken as somewhat synonymous? From my understanding, WiDi is Intel's invention and MiraCast is more of a standard like DLNA.

Any info or knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #41 of 53 Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybombs View Post

Hey Bob,

You seem to be a good source for all things Netgear, so I have a new one for ya. I just bought a Netgear Push2TV - Wireless Display Adapter - PTV3000 to use with my new phone that utilizes MiraCast. It also works with WiDi enabled devices, although I don't have any of those. (Netgear should think about making a USB Stick/Dongle for all computers, as of now it's only built into Intel chips)

So, the question is, does a Netgear NeoTV MAX Streaming Player - NTV300SL, work with MiraCast? I know it is WiDi compatible, so I'm curious if that can be taken as somewhat synonymous? From my understanding, WiDi is Intel's invention and MiraCast is more of a standard like DLNA.

Any info or knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Currently only the Psuh2TV works with Miracast although Netgear plans to add Miracast to the NeoTV MAX. I asked the product manager about this and he confirmed it but couldnt give me a timeline on when that was going to happen. And Netgear is planning a Push2TV dongle as well. But again no dates on its release.

Bob Silver
post #42 of 53 Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Great info as always, thanks!

So would Miracast addition to NeoTV MAX be a firmware update, or only on newer devices?
post #43 of 53 Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybombs View Post

Great info as always, thanks!

So would Miracast addition to NeoTV MAX be a firmware update, or only on newer devices?

Would be a firmware (usually). But until I see it I cant be certain.

Bob
post #44 of 53 Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 AM

First off, great review and thank you for your time in doing so.

I have a few questions;

Q1) Just out of curiosity, what Netgear wireless adapter are people using with this? Wanting to buy this, but I'd like to order it all at the same time.

Q2) The SATA port in the router; is it SATA II or SATA III?

Q3) Reason for Q2 is can the drive bay hold an SSD? I know not to format SSD's so not going to do that, but has anyone tried an SSD? I have a few just laying around doing nothing so I want to see if I can use them; 256GB and 512GB in size. If not, no loss.

Q4) With the back up feature, are there any issues when the software wants to back up a file and at the same time an antivirus program is running scans on the same file. I have seen Norton do this; scans files when they are added. Just wondering if there are any issues.

For myself the back up feature seems great and in my case I already have a NAS box. But scheduling time to do back ups with the wife and kids, this is ideal. Mostly pictures and documents, everything else is imaged to the NAS.
post #45 of 53 Old 12-08-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbat2142 View Post

First off, great review and thank you for your time in doing so.

I have a few questions;

Q1) Just out of curiosity, what Netgear wireless adapter are people using with this? Wanting to buy this, but I'd like to order it all at the same time.

This is an N based router. If you have wireless no adapter needed.

Q2) The SATA port in the router; is it SATA II or SATA III?

It is Sata 2 I believe. The drive bay is set for a 3.5" drive. With a drive adapter that usually comes with a notebook drive will allow it to fit in the bay.

Q3) Reason for Q2 is can the drive bay hold an SSD? I know not to format SSD's so not going to do that, but has anyone tried an SSD? I have a few just laying around doing nothing so I want to see if I can use them; 256GB and 512GB in size. If not, no loss.

Again should be no issue using the ssd with an adapter.

Q4) With the back up feature, are there any issues when the software wants to back up a file and at the same time an antivirus program is running scans on the same file. I have seen Norton do this; scans files when they are added. Just wondering if there are any issues.

I have not had any issues. It has been the best backup until I have used. Never a locked file issue. It also is fast. Usually within a minute of adding new files they are backed up.

For myself the back up feature seems great and in my case I already have a NAS box. But scheduling time to do back ups with the wife and kids, this is ideal. Mostly pictures and documents, everything else is imaged to the NAS.

I think you will be happy with it

Good luck

Bob Silver
post #46 of 53 Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Hey Bob, thanks for the detailed review! I'm wondering more specifically about running Plex on the WNDR4700. You mention that you were running Plex on it, but were you running that from a connected PC? Can you run Plex from the WNDR4700 by itself? Does it have an OS like a dedicated NAS?

Also, I see that it can accommodate large internal drives, but can you partition those drives? For instance, can I make two partitions and use one as a Time Machine backup and another as a media server?

Thanks,
Travis
post #47 of 53 Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the 2012 review. I'm a bit behind the times - I picked one of these up at Staples this weekend for <$70. Any idea if I can install the Logitech Media Server (LMS) to serve my Squeezebox Radio? I've seen that other Netgear NAS devices support LMS but can't find any mention of support on the Centria.

post #48 of 53 Old 03-09-2014, 05:47 AM

Hello, I've recently purchased WNDR4700 and WD Red 3TB HDD. I got it all setup and the HDD is formatted via the internal default formatting scheme of the router - ext4. However the R/W speeds I am getting (via mapped drive OR FTP) are ~ 7/10 MBPS. I tried formatting it in NTFS outside the router but the speeds remains the same. What is the issue? I have the latest firmware x.52

post #49 of 53 Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You cannot loaded software on the 4700 like Plex or other. But the 4700 is fast enough for moderate media server duties. Running Plex or other on a PC and then you can point to the 4700 as you would a NAS. Mist and devices do not have adequate horsepower to run media servers effectively. They may work on low demand loads but that is it.

Bob Silver Netgear AV Consultant
post #50 of 53 Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I could not get a WDD RED 3 TB to be recognized by this router when I formatted it NFTS in a windows 7 or 8 system. When I formatted it EXT4 with the built in tool of the router it was recognized. I really wanted to use the NFTS format as network writes and copies are much faster when NFTS format is used compared to EXT4 format. Anyone else ran into this problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 53 Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 PM

I know this is a pretty quiet post, but hoping for some input. I just got one of these and have two Seagate external usb3 3TB drives. Both formatted NTFS. When I plug them into the 4700, it only recognizes one drive. I played around by plugging in a flash drive and seem to have the same problem - only one USB storage device recognized at a time. Port didn't matter - sometimes it saw the rear port, other times it saw the side port. One time it recognized the HD, but reported the wrong amount of free space and wouldn't let me access files on it.

Is the USB on these just flaky? I've updated the firmware...
post #52 of 53 Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evancg View Post

I know this is a pretty quiet post, but hoping for some input. I just got one of these and have two Seagate external usb3 3TB drives. Both formatted NTFS. When I plug them into the 4700, it only recognizes one drive. I played around by plugging in a flash drive and seem to have the same problem - only one USB storage device recognized at a time. Port didn't matter - sometimes it saw the rear port, other times it saw the side port. One time it recognized the HD, but reported the wrong amount of free space and wouldn't let me access files on it.

Is the USB on these just flaky? I've updated the firmware...

I have only used 1 drive. The USB has been fine. I use the drive internally. But I have used it externally too with no issues. The normal use case is a drive installed internally and a printer on the USB port.

Bob Silver Netgear AV Consultant
post #53 of 53 Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdJags View Post

I could not get a WDD RED 3 TB to be recognized by this router when I formatted it NFTS in a windows 7 or 8 system. When I formatted it EXT4 with the built in tool of the router it was recognized. I really wanted to use the NFTS format as network writes and copies are much faster when NFTS format is used compared to EXT4 format. Anyone else ran into this problem?

I got this product back in January and I'm experiencing the same issue. I initially used the router tools to format a WD 2TB Red NAS HDD and it would work, but rather sporadically. Sometimes the HDD would be visible on the network, but oftentimes not. And even if it was accessible on the network, sometimes files/folders would be missing. And even when everything was working properly, write speeds would be very slow.

Hoping to solve this problem, I recently tried reformatting the drive to NTFS using a Windows 8.1 laptop and a USB/SATA adapter. Now the drive is not accessible at all with the front indicator light showing a solid red and it saying the drive needs to be formatted.

I have a support ticket open on the issue right now and they have suggested reformatting it again using the router tools. I'll do whatever I need to do to get it up and running, but by all accounts NTFS formatted drives are supposed to work. The drive is fine because it functioned attached to the laptop using the USB adapter. Maybe before resigning myself to using the slow EXT4 formatted drive, I'll try reformatting using another laptop to see if that gets it up and running.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Centria Wndr4700 Wireless Router 4 Port Switch
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page