New Netgear Centria WNDR4700 All in One Router and NAS Review - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 67 Old 12-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

I actually purchased the 8000. My thought was to keep the old 4700 (4720 essentially since it has a drive in it) and just use it as a NAS only. I figured converting it to an AP would be the best option. This way the setup would use the 4720 to stream NAS files only, while the 8000 would handle everything else to maximize their processors and spread out the load.

Is this worth the trouble do you even think? Should I just pull the drive in the 4720 and put it into a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it to the 8000, then sell the 4720 or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 12-10-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybombs View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

I actually purchased the 8000. My thought was to keep the old 4700 (4720 essentially since it has a drive in it) and just use it as a NAS only. I figured converting it to an AP would be the best option. This way the setup would use the 4720 to stream NAS files only, while the 8000 would handle everything else to maximize their processors and spread out the load.

Is this worth the trouble do you even think? Should I just pull the drive in the 4720 and put it into a USB 3.0 enclosure and connect it to the 8000, then sell the 4720 or something?
If you don't need the increase wifi coverage of an Access Point then using the 8000 by itself would be best. To use the 4720 as a NAS only is not something I would do. Using it as a router like I do is something it is fine for. But to shut down all the routing functions gains nothing. The 8000 is even faster then the 7000. It is significantly faster then the 4720. So again if you don't need added wireless range of the AP then just use the 8000. Simpler is always better.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant
post #63 of 67 Old 12-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
If you don't need the increase wifi coverage of an Access Point then using the 8000 by itself would be best. To use the 4720 as a NAS only is not something I would do. Using it as a router like I do is something it is fine for. But to shut down all the routing functions gains nothing. The 8000 is even faster then the 7000. It is significantly faster then the 4720. So again if you don't need added wireless range of the AP then just use the 8000. Simpler is always better.

Bob Silver
Sounds good, thanks again!
post #64 of 67 Old 12-12-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Sounds good, thanks again!
Maybe a little off topic for this thread, but you did say you had an 8000 as well, correct? I was curious if you utilize the 'smart connect' for the two 5GHz bands, or turn that off and designate exactly which devices you want on each band?
post #65 of 67 Old 12-12-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe a little off topic for this thread, but you did say you had an 8000 as well, correct? I was curious if you utilize the 'smart connect' for the two 5GHz bands, or turn that off and designate exactly which devices you want on each band?
I use the Smart Connect on the 8000. This is easiest if you want 1 SSID. Using it without is fine too. Know that the lower 5ghz channels have lower performance then the higher. So if you use it separately then put your slower devices on the lower channel.

Bob Silver
post #66 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 AM

I've had the 8000 for 3 months now. Absolutely love it! Saw a video Netgear posted about the 7000 recently about its Airtime Fairness feature, thought it was awesome. Checked my settings/features, not in my admin. Tried to update firmware, says I have the newest version.

So I reach out to Netgear support. My mistake is identifying that I already own the product. The support agent replies with and I quote...

"The R8000 does not have the Airtime Fairness feature. There are no documentation stating why the Airtime Fairness is not part of the feature of R8000. The R8000 only have the Beamforming feature."

The worst customer service/support I think I've ever received, except for maybe Comcast. This after being a very loyal customer and owning numerous Netgear products.

Bob, would you mind reaching out to your Netgear people? I'm just curious as to why it's not available. Could it be available in the future through a firmware update or is it hardware related, and just simply impossible.

I mean I'm a little bummed that I purchased the highest end Nighthawk, but a lower model has more features. lol I wouldn't trade the 8k for the 7k. It would be nice to know why though.

Thanks!
post #67 of 67 Old 03-06-2015, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've had the 8000 for 3 months now. Absolutely love it! Saw a video Netgear posted about the 7000 recently about its Airtime Fairness feature, thought it was awesome. Checked my settings/features, not in my admin. Tried to update firmware, says I have the newest version.

So I reach out to Netgear support. My mistake is identifying that I already own the product. The support agent replies with and I quote...

"The R8000 does not have the Airtime Fairness feature. There are no documentation stating why the Airtime Fairness is not part of the feature of R8000. The R8000 only have the Beamforming feature."

The worst customer service/support I think I've ever received, except for maybe Comcast. This after being a very loyal customer and owning numerous Netgear products.

Bob, would you mind reaching out to your Netgear people? I'm just curious as to why it's not available. Could it be available in the future through a firmware update or is it hardware related, and just simply impossible.

I mean I'm a little bummed that I purchased the highest end Nighthawk, but a lower model has more features. lol I wouldn't trade the 8k for the 7k. It would be nice to know why though.

Thanks!
Actually the R8000 is getting the update that will provide the Dynamic QOS which was rolled out in the 7500. This I will tell you is the best feature for managing QOS on both wired and wireless.

The airtime fairness in the 8000 is not needed. In fact with the 8000 its built in smarts will populate the various devices in the 5ghz band to the appropriate fast and slower bands. Thats the Smart Connect feature.

But back to the firmware update. Netgear has told me that this should be ready by end of March. I am using a 7500 as a router only and for me this QOS capability has been a a real solution to an ongoing issue I was having.

I will make no excuses for the support experience. Unfortunately its off shore like most and is average for the industry. To supplement it thats why Netgear employs me and a few others worldwide to help users get answers to questions and keep the user base informed as well as provide feedback to Netgear product team.

But be assured that the R8000 is getting all the love it deserves and I believe you will be very happy with this latest update.

Bob Silver
Netgear Advisor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Centria Wndr4700 Wireless Router 4 Port Switch
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page