What's the best DNS provider to access BBC iPlayer, Netflix & Sky Go, on my PS3, XBOX & AppleTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I've been looking into this as I'm currently living in Denmark miss British TV, and would like to have a broader film/TV on demand choice that services such as Netflix USA and Latin America offer.

I own a PS3, X-Box, MacBook Pro and Apple TV.

I would like to get the following services on these devices:

PS3: Netflix, BBC iPlayer
X-Box: Sky Go
Apple TV: Netflix
MacBook: All of the above

I understand that, to access services such as Netflix USA and BBC iPlayer, you can access them via a Proxy or, via a DNS provider.

1) Is there one single DNS provider that will cover all these content providers and devices?
2) The 3 main providers I've come across are Overplay Smart DNS, Unblock-us and UnoDNS. Anyone have any feedback on these, and if they work with all of the mentioned content providers?
3) Would any of these (or other) DNS providers, allow me to access their servers outside my home address? I've heard that when you connect to their servers, they log your ip address, and check to see you're connecting from your main address. I ask this because I travel a lot and wouldn't go for a service that doesn't allow me to log in from 1-2 different locations simultaneously.
4) I also often tether my 3g/4g phone to my Mac when I'm outside the house, so I would like to access a DNS provider via my phone's data connection. Is this possible?
5) For the PS3, will changing the DNS info in my system settings to an alternative DNS provider have any detrimental effect to online gaming? Could it cause latency/slow ping issues?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page