Advice needed - best way to cover wifi dead spots - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all. I've got a few weak spots in my home's wireless coverage and am looking to extend my existing router's range somehow. I have a medium amount of experience with home networking and can generally figure things out once pointed in the right direction. Can anyone help on distinguishing between a wifi bridge and a repeater and the pros/cons of each method? I'm a little shaky on what bridge mode means etc.

Current setup:
- Router: Asus RT N16 running DD-WRT. This is in the basement and runs two virtual WLAN networks in order to keep guest access out of network shares on the main WLAN. Surprisingly, I'm able to get wifi access on my phones and tablet from anywhere in the house, including two floors up from the router. The problem is that I can sometimes get very weak signals upstairs and dropped connections.
- Wired network: Every room has gigabit wired links back to the router via a pair of ethernet switches.

Ideally, I'd like to add a cheap 2nd router that would be wired to the main router but would be located on the top floor. This router would provide wifi access to the existing WLAN. I thought this would be better than a repeater as from what I've seen of the latter, they are connected to the main router via wifi, thus could suffer the same weak connection I'm trying to eradicate.

Questions:
1. Is the 2nd router in bridge mode solution viable?
2. Can the router operate on the same WLAN (same SSID, WPA key etc with seamless wifi coverage)
3. Would this monoprice router work for this setup: Wireless 802.11N Router w/ WPS & WISP Function (300Mbps) ? If not, can you suggest something?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Mmmm nothing yet. Anyway an update - I think I'm going to add a cheap router and try to figure it out. I'm looking at the belkin F7D7302 (only $18 at Amazon) which can load DD-WRT or Tomato and has a USB port so I can share a printer. Has anyone used this router? Only a few bad (mostly bad) reviews online but from what I've seen, not many of the reviewers tested it with custom firmware.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page