Building a media server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone suggest a place or places online that sell components like motherboards, CPUs, cases, drives, cards, etc. I'd like to build my own with four 3 Terabyte drives.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
any compute place neweegg,amazon,mwave,frys would have what you need. a cheap solution for you us get one of the micro atx or mini itx boards Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303 that comes with 6 onboard sata ports.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

any compute place neweegg,amazon,mwave,frys would have what you need. a cheap solution for you us get one of the micro atx or mini itx boards Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303 that comes with 6 onboard sata ports.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. I need at least 4 SATA connections, 6 would really be nice! Do you have any preference for server operating system software?

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #4 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are just going to be serving files over your network, using FreeNAS might be a good option. This is a dedicated OS for network attached storage functionality with reasonably low hardware requirements and has data redundancy built in via ZFS and RAID-Z. Also keep in mind that you can always expand the number of SATA ports with an expansion card. Doing so would probably be cheaper than trying to find a cheap mobo with lots of ports.

On the other hand, if you're building a machine for downloading/streaming media, watching, recording and distributing live TV etc, then Windows 7 will be the way to go. That way you can use Windows Media Center for TV and the media library and distribute it over the network with extenders like the Ceton Echo or Xbox 360. Head over to the HTPC forum for more info.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

What I'd like to do is use 12 TB of storage for BR discs, other things like you mentioned. After looking roughly at the math, 12 TB = about 737 BR discs.To me that is a lot of reusable storage. I know that I have to add one 3T disc for RAID and another smaller disc fort he operating system and data controlling software. Also, I will need a database to retrieve. I also would need a program to feed a value for the location of the material to be played. It's easy enough to build a form driven database (I'm a retired programmer). The software to play the selection, I'd like some advice about.

Hardware would be:

1.The server case
2. A large enough power supply
3. A motherboard, CPU, RAM, 5 three TB drives. One of these is needed for RAID. a 6th would hold the software, and needn't be that large.
4. A card to output HDMI 1.4 from a card to my TV
5. A fiber optic output for sound.
6. Misc. other items, like a small laptop to operate the server from the theater room.

That's about as far as I have thought. I don't know if streaming can be captured to disc, since it is encrypted. I guess I could step out of the box and pay for the privilege. Novel idea for me.

Any suggestions , such as an interface that would use a remote control would be helpful. I was glancing at some of the available out of the box media servers and gagged when I saw $10,000 and more for some of them. Part of my career I worked for AST a computer manufacturer that was actually controlled by Samsung. As a programmer in the engineering department, I learned a lot about the then current hardware (1990 would be the time frame).

Software and hardware have changed a huge amount at an astonishing pace.

Thanks again,

Floyd

tb

post #6 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sounds like you are trying to build a Blu-ray movie server, not a media server. Are you planning on storing music, photos and home movies as well? What resolution are you going to use for video and audio? If you will use audio also, what formats will you play? What are your Video/audio components? Will you be also doing any home automation such as lighting, blinds, cameras, door locks, etc?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

What I'd like to do is use 12 TB of storage for BR discs, other things like you mentioned. After looking roughly at the math, 12 TB = about 737 BR discs.To me that is a lot of reusable storage. I know that I have to add one 3T disc for RAID and another smaller disc fort he operating system and data controlling software. Also, I will need a database to retrieve. I also would need a program to feed a value for the location of the material to be played. It's easy enough to build a form driven database (I'm a retired programmer). The software to play the selection, I'd like some advice about.
Hardware would be:
1.The server case
2. A large enough power supply
3. A motherboard, CPU, RAM, 5 three TB drives. One of these is needed for RAID. a 6th would hold the software, and needn't be that large.
4. A card to output HDMI 1.4 from a card to my TV
5. A fiber optic output for sound.
6. Misc. other items, like a small laptop to operate the server from the theater room.
That's about as far as I have thought. I don't know if streaming can be captured to disc, since it is encrypted. I guess I could step out of the box and pay for the privilege. Novel idea for me.
Any suggestions , such as an interface that would use a remote control would be helpful. I was glancing at some of the available out of the box media servers and gagged when I saw $10,000 and more for some of them. Part of my career I worked for AST a computer manufacturer that was actually controlled by Samsung. As a programmer in the engineering department, I learned a lot about the then current hardware (1990 would be the time frame).
Software and hardware have changed a huge amount at an astonishing pace.
Thanks again,
Floyd
tb

My 1500+ BD ISOs have an average file size of around 31GB. With 12TB of storage that would get you around 387 titles. I am also doing full BD rips, so if you only ripped the movie the average file size would be smaller.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page