Build or buy a HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I have a few external drives full of uncompressed. Mkv files of my blurry collection is ripped. I also have two WDTVs hooked to two separate tvs. My house have cat6 run throughout which I plan on terminating and utilizing soon. Right now I just plug the external into the wdtv I want to watch movies on.

What would be the best option for me to have my movies centrally stored somewhere and be able to stream to my WDTVs?

Do I need a pc with windows server and then hook the externals to it? What are the advantages to a HTPC at my tv over a wdtv?

Saw this

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/5727706-Dell-Inspiron-660-desktop-3rd-gen-i5-3330-8GB-RAM-2TB-7200-rpm-HD-Nvidia-GT620-Windows-8-Free-ship-449-99?&page=5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 592
HTPC has more flexibility, but it requires more work. I went with stand alone media players (Dune D1 and PCH-A210), which has worked well for several years now. I also built an unRaid server which has 6 2TB drives. 1 drive is used for parity (backup in case of drive failure) the other 5 are used for storage.

It was pretty simple and inexpensive to build an unRaid server. You don't have to use expensive or new parts. You can use an old computer to build one. With that said, unRaid OS still in beta, but works well with streaming and storing movies.

I'm currently thinking of building another server and using Flexraid with WHS, but I am not sure yet!!!

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

HTPC has more flexibility, but it requires more work. I went with stand alone media players (Dune D1 and PCH-A210), which has worked well for several years now. I also built an unRaid server which has 6 2TB drives. 1 drive is used for parity (backup in case of drive failure) the other 5 are used for storage.
It was pretty simple and inexpensive to build an unRaid server. You don't have to use expensive or new parts. You can use an old computer to build one. With that said, unRaid OS still in beta, but works well with streaming and storing movies.
I'm currently thinking of building another server and using Flexraid with WHS, but I am not sure yet!!!

What is unRaid. I will have to check it out. What type of Chassis or NAS Box do you use? I have access to all of Microsofts latest Software through work so I can use Windows Server 2012 I think it is.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffactoryxx View Post

What is unRaid. I will have to check it out. What type of Chassis or NAS Box do you use? I have access to all of Microsofts latest Software through work so I can use Windows Server 2012 I think it is.

Windows 8 storage pools will do the same thing as unraid and more. The only issue is that you will have to temporarily move your movies to something else because setting up a windows 8 storage pool will first wipe any drives that you add to the pool.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

http://lime-technology.com/

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Wiki

If you have access to Windows Server, then I would use that instead.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

So I have a few external drives full of uncompressed. Mkv files of my blurry collection is ripped. I also have two WDTVs hooked to two separate tvs. My house have cat6 run throughout which I plan on terminating and utilizing soon. Right now I just plug the external into the wdtv I want to watch movies on.

What would be the best option for me to have my movies centrally stored somewhere and be able to stream to my WDTVs?

Do I need a pc with windows server and then hook the externals to it? What are the advantages to a HTPC at my tv over a wdtv?

I don't think there are any media players that have the overall capabilities of XBMC. If playing back your large Blu-ray collection is your main goal then certainly the usual PCH and Dune suggestions would be the way to go. Their interfaces however have been really primitive and maintaining a jukebox is as much of a pain as running a small HTPC. There is also the question of pricing when it comes to Dune and how well these players can do without access to premium streaming content.

Small HTPC's are getting very interesting and are really simple to maintain provided you restrict their use to browsing and XBMC or Plex. I would also imagine that getting into the whole recording aspect of an HTPC would also raise its maintenance level.

You can find HTPC's from Zotac, Shuttle, Acer and others that cost less than a PCH A400 and are probably friendlier (am not too familiar with their new built in GUI). The Zotac nano line has ir built in and comes with the remote. It has wifi and gigabit networking and is smaller than many media players. Provided you already have an OS then that would work out to be cheaper than a PCH A400 with wifi. I am factoring in 4gigs ram and a 60gig SSD. There is a dedicated forum for HTPC's and more information over at the XBMC forums.

If a PCH/Dune works for you then that's great. Their interfaces are no worse than that found in the WDTV line.

Philip
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If you go the HTPC route check out OpenELEC. It will make your HTPC feel like an appliance like a popcorn hour. I recommend building your own. It will be cheaper and give you more flexibility. Lots of hardware info on the HTPC forum.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page