AVS Forum banner

What is the best format to convert a Blu ray disc to? MKV?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  comicguy 
#1 ·
I have always used .iso files but some of the new dvd players cannot play back .iso files from a disc (new OPPO). They can play other formats.

I have an oppo 93 which can play .iso files (the older firmware).

Can it play mkv files also?

What is the best or the most convenient digital file format to use, to build my video library from my blue ray discs?

I downloaded makemkv program.

I used it to make a digital file of my blue ray disc. It made a directory with various files, I assume one of which is mkv.

I tried to play that file using my oppo 93 but it would not play.

there were two options, while converting BD to mkv file.

Check or uncheck "Decode". I tried both.

When unchecked. it actually came to the main menu of the movie but I couldnot go beyond that. The menu was very slow to interact with but it would not play.

See less See more
#2 ·
MakeMKV is not a converter, it extracts the movie from the disc structure and copies it into a mkv container, it is the exact same video/audio on the disc. As such any player must be capable of decoding Blu-ray video streams in mkv for that to work, I don't know of the Oppo is but from the sounds of it, it isn't & Oppo's are not very good digital media players they are primarily disc players.

Make sure the firmware is up to date on the Oppo 93 in case they made any improvements in this area that might unlock playback of the files from MakeMKV.

The web page for Oppo states it supports mkv, probably H.264 video at least. So run the file generated by MakeMKV through Handbrake (H.264 encoder) using the high profile preset and that will probably give you usable video on the Oppo. If you want to retain the original audio use the mkv container in Handbrake and on the audio tab set it to AC3 or DTS pass-through depending upon whats in the original mkv file.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330  /t/1446644/what-is-the-best-format-to-convert-a-blu-ray-disc-to-mkv#post_22733662

MakeMKV is not a converter, it extracts the movie from the disc structure and copies it into a mkv container, it is the exact same video/audio on the disc. As such any player must be capable of decoding Blu-ray video streams in mkv for that to work, I don't know of the Oppo is but from the sounds of it, it isn't & Oppo's are not very good digital media players they are primarily disc players.

Make sure the firmware is up to date on the Oppo 93 in case they made any improvements in this area that might unlock playback of the files from MakeMKV.

The web page for Oppo states it supports mkv, probably H.264 video at least. So run the file generated by MakeMKV through Handbrake (H.264 encoder) using the high profile preset and that will probably give you usable video on the Oppo. If you want to retain the original audio use the mkv container in Handbrake and on the audio tab set it to AC3 or DTS pass-through depending upon whats in the original mkv file.
New oppo players no longer support .iso files. Therefore, I am considering alternate file formats, which can be used to play back my file.

I don't understand the need to run handbrake on a mkv file made by makemkv.

What does handbrake do to that file? Just curious to know.. the h.264 is another encoding process? Handbrake does not work with copy protected files, they say on their website. So, I have to use makemkv first and then handbrake?

Anyway, I don't want to go through two programs - makemkv and handbrake.. I saw that there are other threads about ripping blu rays. They have gotten long.. but I did find useful information there..

I will not update my oppo 93 to latest rev. Mine is the final rev, which supports .iso file. I want to rip future discs into mkv or other formats so that future oppo or other media players would support it.

My question now is, what is the best format for the output file, other than .iso to rip blu rays to?

Thank you

#4 ·
If you were to update that Oppo I would come over to your house with a baseball bat!

While everyone has been scrambling with all of the latest media players to get decent playback, I too, have been using a an ISO capable Oppo to get flawless playback of all of my rips. 3D iso files? no problems at all! Yes, it sucks that you can't stream from a server and have to use local attached hard drives but such is the price for excellent picture and flawless playback!

I suggest buying another oppo with ISO!

#6 ·
right now, I use dvd fab to create .iso files of dvd and bd discs. Most of my collection has already been converted to .iso files but I am wondering if I should start my future library with a different file format, which the new oppos could play back.. because, for me, OPPO is the preferred way to play back files..

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid  /t/1446644/what-is-the-best-format-to-convert-a-blu-ray-disc-to-mkv#post_22731502

I have always used .iso files but some of the new dvd players cannot play back .iso files from a disc (new OPPO). They can play other formats.

I have an oppo 93 which can play .iso files (the older firmware).

Can it play mkv files also?

What is the best or the most convenient digital file format to use, to build my video library from my blue ray discs?

I downloaded makemkv program.

I used it to make a digital file of my blue ray disc. It made a directory with various files, I assume one of which is mkv.

I tried to play that file using my oppo 93 but it would not play.

there were two options, while converting BD to mkv file.

Check or uncheck "Decode". I tried both.

When unchecked. it actually came to the main menu of the movie but I couldnot go beyond that. The menu was very slow to interact with but it would not play.

I've been thinking about this as well, but for the sake of quality and simplicity I plan on going with H.264 MKV's. Cinavia is going to make it harder and harder to play full Blu-Ray rips on commercial players, so MKV's (combined with non-licensed players) may end up being a better solution.

BTW. I had to update the firmware on my Oppo-93 in order to get correct playback on some MKV's. I lost ISO functionality in the process, but now have no problems with any MKV I make.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer  /t/1446644/what-is-the-best-format-to-convert-a-blu-ray-disc-to-mkv#post_22753685

I've been thinking about this as well, but for the sake of quality and simplicity I plan on going with H.264 MKV's. Cinavia is going to make it harder and harder to play full Blu-Ray rips on commercial players, so MKV's (combined with non-licensed players) may end up being a better solution.

BTW. I had to update the firmware on my Oppo-93 in order to get correct playback on some MKV's. I lost ISO functionality in the process, but now have no problems with any MKV I make.
audvid and I are on our way over to your house. We each have our baseball bats!

You would have been better off buying any other media player than updating your oppo! Hell, you could have sold it for more than you paid for it and bought a 103 which would play your sissy mkv files. I know you do NOT have a 3D system or you would have never updated that oppo as it is still the only device that plays back 3D iso's properly! Also the 93 does not and will never have Cinavia so why update and lose that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.