Can I stream from PC via Blu Ray player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I was hoping someone can help me figure out whether what I am trying to achieve is doable.

I have a Samsung 6500 blu ray player. I have it set up so that it can access Windows Media Player playlists on my computer and play them through my AVR (a Denon 2112).

However what Id like to do is have the music stream from Windows Media Player on my PC with the PC controlling what happens. In other words, instead of being able to use my Samsung interface to browse and select music, Id like to use my WMP software (or my android remote control for WMP) to select the songs or playlists and then have it sent to / played out through the Blu Ray player.

Should this be achievable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Hi I was hoping someone can help me figure out whether what I am trying to achieve is doable.
I have a Samsung 6500 blu ray player. I have it set up so that it can access Windows Media Player playlists on my computer and play them through my AVR (a Denon 2112).
However what Id like to do is have the music stream from Windows Media Player on my PC with the PC controlling what happens. In other words, instead of being able to use my Samsung interface to browse and select music, Id like to use my WMP software (or my android remote control for WMP) to select the songs or playlists and then have it sent to / played out through the Blu Ray player.
Should this be achievable?

That blueray player is DLNA compliant so you will have to use that to. I do not use DLNA so I've got no idea how that works since DLNA is limited.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 15 Old 12-25-2012, 07:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
WMP can serve as a Digital Media Controller via its "Play To" function: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/using-the-play-to-feature-to-stream-media, so you are good on that end.

Your player would have to be a Digital Media Renderer to accept the input, though. If it is, you're good. If it isn't, it won't work.

DMC and DMR are additional DLNA functions. Most players with DLNA serve as Digital Media Players (DMP), where control has to be initiated from the player itself.

-Bill
post #4 of 15 Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bill: to make sure I understand, the fact that the player is DLNA compliant is NOT enough correct? For me to stream using PLAY TO through WMP as opposed to streaming from the blu ray...it needs additional capability "Digital Media Renderer" to accept a PLAY TO feed?
post #5 of 15 Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirong View Post

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bill: to make sure I understand, the fact that the player is DLNA compliant is NOT enough correct? For me to stream using PLAY TO through WMP as opposed to streaming from the blu ray...it needs additional capability "Digital Media Renderer" to accept a PLAY TO feed?

Correct. DLNA covers several different capabilities. The first generation of BR players were Digital Media Players but not Digital Media Renderers. The new OPPO BDP-103 and -105 are DMR, but I haven't kept up with other models. The older OPPOs weren't.

-Bill
post #6 of 15 Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM

I hope this is relevant to the thread. I have a sony bluray player and i had it set up so that i could access my video files from my pc via the bluray player and play those files on the bluray/tv combo. we moved and switched internet providers (century link to xfinity) and now i can see the files i can access the files i can push play but nothing happen. it just loads. any ideas?

post #7 of 15 Old 05-17-2014, 08:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfassassin View Post

I hope this is relevant to the thread. I have a sony bluray player and i had it set up so that i could access my video files from my pc via the bluray player and play those files on the bluray/tv combo. we moved and switched internet providers (century link to xfinity) and now i can see the files i can access the files i can push play but nothing happen. it just loads. any ideas?

Welcome to AVSForum.

Your PC and Blu-ray player are on your local area network, right? Your service provider shouldn't make a difference unless they provide the router you are using, Is that the case?

-Bill
post #8 of 15 Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 PM

Thank you. Xfinity did provide the router and yes it is a local network
post #9 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 AM
One-Man Content Creator

I'm guessing you were using a DLNA server on the old router, and that the DLNA server on the new router doesn't work the same way, or needs to be configured.

It might be better to run a server of your choice on the PC itself.

What specific Blu-ray player do you have? What specific PC operating system?

-Bill
post #10 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 09:23 AM

The bluray is a Sony BD- something. Sorry I'm at work now. The operating system is windows 7 home premium. How would I configure the new routers DLNA. The blurays are all the same. These new Sony ones. Except two are brand new.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfassassin View Post

How would I configure the new routers DLNA.

You would need to find online help or a forum for your specific router.
Quote:
The blurays are all the same. These new Sony ones. Except two are brand new.

You lost me. You are talking about media files made from these Blu-rays? What format are they?

It is possible your router doesn't have a DLNA server at all and instead you are seeing the default server on Windows, which doesn't support everything. No MKV for example.

You can install other DLNA servers on the PC and see if they work better for you. oShare is free and often recommended.

-Bill
post #12 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 PM

I apologize I may not be clear about the problem. I have a Sony bluray player. 3 of them. They all can connect wirelessly to my PC which runs windows 7. I add them as devices seen by the computer and can access movies from my personal PC files through the bluray. I used to be able to sit in a completely different room. Get into the shared folders on my PC using the bluray player and pull up movies and watch them. Now. I can still do all that. Except watch the movies. Nothing changed except we bought 2 brand new blurays of the same model which gave us three and we switched internet providers which switched our router. I can still access the shared files that are on my pc from the bluray player but now they won't actually play. These are movies either in avi format or mp4. We did this so the kids could have their movies but no DVDs because they just get ruined. The bluray operation I use while on the bluray player is media/PC/folders/shared folders/kids movies then pick a movie and it should play. But no matter which bluray player I use even the old one which played them just fine all it does is load and load. Does that help? *winces* I'm trying to explain it but it's a weird situation. There has to be something I'm missing. Drivers? Firmware? A checked box. Something.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

I'm guessing something has changed on the DLNA server you are using. It might be in the router or it might be on your PC.

Installing an alternative server might be instructive.

Find your Blu-ray model number. There is probably a dedicated thread for it here: http://www.avsforum.com/f/149/blu-ray-players. Inquire there if anyone else has had this problem.

-Bill
post #14 of 15 Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your help
post #15 of 15 Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Liked: 0
Its possible but complicated

I have windows 8 so I'll instruct accordingly, First you have to turn on streaming while in you're media player library. A little setup process should start. complete to youre preferences Secondly , you search PC settings > Then clicked on PC and devices> then devices> Clicked add a device> youre own pc should pop up while searching. but then you click next to it in the white area. (Just to get it out of the way)> youre device that youre trying to stream to should pop up below if it doesnt then its probably not compatible.> then. you go back to media library and click on play to, in the top left corner, and click on youre devices. I have full control over which songs play on my blu-ray player and can even control the volume. I hope this helped i've been trying to get this to work for like 2 years and I got really frustrated i hope this is on topic.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page