Vulkano flow vs slingbox pro-hd/350 for international hd streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, i want to send one of these devices to south america to my parents house so I can view it from here. I am planing on viewing it from different devices, but the main factor that I am worried about is which one looks better on a bigscreen TV. From other threads it seems that vulkano flow does not really do HD and has a "cap" on streaming speed so even if you have very high uploads speeds it does not do more than 2.5 mbps/sec, I think slingbox proHD/350/500 does not have that problem. I have also seen reviews saying despite of this vulkano image quality is better than slingbox. In my case specifically, the upload speed from where I want to stream is just 1.8 mbps, so paying more for a slingbox device would not really make a difference, but if If the picture is considerably better might consider upgrading internet there. Of course there is also the advantage of the slingbox connected devices like boxee or wd tv live to watch slingbox on tv without needing a computer, but that would be extra money too. Anyways what do u guys think? Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 678
I have the Vulkano Flow predecessor, the Hava Platinum HD, and a Slingbox 350. The Hava, just like the flow, doesn't send out HD. It does look good for SD but my SlingBox350 easily produces a better picture than my HavaHD. It will send out an HD image and on a large screen it makes a big difference. As long as you have the bandwidth to upload and to download the streaming video, The SlingBox 350 easily has the better picture.

But price is also a factor. I only paid $60 or $70 for my Hava HD around 3.5 years ago. While I paid $180 for my SlingBox 350 a few months ago when they were first available.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Aaron for tour reply. Do you think I could get the same HD with a cheaper Slingbox pro-HD? And more importantly, since the upload speeds from where I want to stream is 1.8 Mbps tops, would it be better just to get the vulkano flow since its cheaper? Thanks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page