dune hd max freeze ups - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

whenever i put a bluray disk in it, sometime in the middle of watching the movie, it'll just freeze up. the movie is like it's paused, and the box stops responding to the remote. the only way to fix it is to unplug the box. i've watched 5 different blurays, and it has happened to every one of them - sometimes 5 minutes in, sometimes after an hour.

this happens about 10% of the time on digital content (MKVs, .iso etc.)

anyone else experience this kind of crap? i'm ready to throw it away and try a different kind of player. i've owned it for about 30 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM

I am having the same issue with HD Base. I have had the unit for over a year and has worked pretty well in the past. This issue seems to be in the last few weeks. I am streaming movies when I have this issue but only on new movies. Movies that I have ripped in the past work fine.

Are the movies that are freezing new released? If so, perhaps try an older release and see what happens.

Anyone else having this issue?
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberone View Post

I am having the same issue with HD Base. I have had the unit for over a year and has worked pretty well in the past. This issue seems to be in the last few weeks. I am streaming movies when I have this issue but only on new movies. Movies that I have ripped in the past work fine.
Are the movies that are freezing new released? If so, perhaps try an older release and see what happens.
Anyone else having this issue?

What movies are you streaming that you have problems with?

What is your set up(streaming from NAS, wired or powerline etc etc)?
post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM

Promethius is one of the movies that kept locking up at the exact same point of the movie. I even tried FF past the lock up point and tried using the scene selection past the lock point and RR to just before it and the movie would still lock. Very annoying since it was in the last chapter and never did see the end of it:mad:

I am streaming from a PC running W7. My network is set up as a Domain (not workgroup) and have been trying to find info on setting up the share with a Domain. From the Dune Network Browser, the share does not display, however setting up a shortcut to the share works. I can see all the movies and folders. Not sure if this is part of the issue, but things did work pretty well before with about 90% of movies working but now only about 20% work.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just tried Promethius. Streaming from a Synology nas via smb. Tried both wired and streaming thru a powerline. I didn't get any lock ups. Maybe someone else who is streaming from a pc can help.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-31-2012, 07:41 PM

Promethius locked up on the last chapter on mine (just before the credit chapter). I just tried playing Wrath of the Titans and it locks up after the 2nd preview. When it locks up, pressing stop or return does nothing and have to use the power button to reboot the unit.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 PM

I think the issue might be corrupted files. I tried copying the movie in issue to another drive on the same server and it is locking up the server also to the point where I have to hard boot the computer. There are a least a couple of newer BD ISO files that are doing this. I can copy older rips fine, it is just the newer rips. Anyone have any ideas what is going on w/ the newer movies?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, you are describing a very different issue. works fine with streaming movies - it's the bluray player that barfs - and it's not the same place every time, it's random.

ever seen that issue?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberone View Post

I think the issue might be corrupted files. I tried copying the movie in issue to another drive on the same server and it is locking up the server also to the point where I have to hard boot the computer. There are a least a couple of newer BD ISO files that are doing this. I can copy older rips fine, it is just the newer rips. Anyone have any ideas what is going on w/ the newer movies?

Sounds like you might have a failing HDD, bad sectors or the like. Try running chkdisc on the drive to look for errors.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch View Post

yeah, you are describing a very different issue. works fine with streaming movies - it's the bluray player that barfs - and it's not the same place every time, it's random.
ever seen that issue?

Dirty laser in the disc player is one possibility, dirty disc is another possibility. But a dirty laser will make it more likely to barf on a marginal disc.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Looks like I may have a bad HD
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page