Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
From Dune:

please note that our new models TV-102, TV-102AW, TV-303D and Base 3D are manufactured
for the first time by now.

Here are the details on the new models:

Dune HD Base 3D
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/37
(new product on the latest Sigma Designs 8672 chip with 3D video (including MVC format of
Blu-ray discs) and 3D graphics (OpenGL) support, with 3.5" HDD compartment and display)

Dune HD TV-303D
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/36
(next generation after TV-301 on new Sigma Designs 8672 chip
with 3D video (including MVC format of Blu-ray discs) and 3D graphics (OpenGL) support)

Dune HD TV-102/102AW
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/34
(next generation after TV-101 on new Sigma Designs 8674 chip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
glad to see it does not say anything about crippled audio like the zappitti box Time to compare the two sigma boxes again to see how they pan out.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no usb3 port for dune base 3d?
post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

glad to see it does not say anything about crippled audio like the zappitti box Time to compare the two sigma boxes again to see how they pan out.

Hdland already confirmed that the zappiti player will suffer almost the same problems than a400 : hd audio crippled, subtitles problems, 3d compatibility. But they said that sigma is working hard to correct it and that by the time the player will be available those problem should be solved with a new firmware. They should have said a big thank you to pch to be guinea pigs for sigma biggrin.gif

I also guess that this is true for any other new players based on 8672 (which are ll new dune models in fact).
post #5 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The Base 3D looks very nice and it decodes Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio!!! Is the DNLA support as a player or does it also function as a renderer? Hopefully it will be relatively bug free when finally released. Any pricing info?
post #6 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Man......I don't understand these media player companies........where's a functional, attractive GUI? Apple gets it done with a $99 unit and XBMC does it for free. Smarten up guys.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post

Man......I don't understand these media player companies........where's a functional, attractive GUI? Apple gets it done with a $99 unit and XBMC does it for free. Smarten up guys.

The Apple product is very limited in local media functionality and file type support. XBMC is generally installed on a machine with a powerful, general purpose processor and with other chips and chipsets for various functions. XBMC does not support full menus like some of the media products and does not support audio via multiple concurrent interfaces like many of the media player products do. There are positives and negatives of each. The only way around that is to build your own and choose your own functionality.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Traditionally these kinds of companies never got the idea of good UI development it was always about video support and everything else was a second thought.

Sigma Designs knows which way the wind is blowing as XBMC has moved down to Arm chips and boxes like the Pivos XIOS have come on the market so they have ported XBMC to some of their line up (with DVD/BD menu support). Unfortunately I get the sense Dune are like Syabas and wont use the Sigma XBMC port as a platform to build on for the long term future and are sticking to their own software stack which is incredibly short sighted as they are already behind features and UI wise with little chance of keeping pace with almost a decade of work put into XBMC.

An increasingly small clique of users are going to be Dune's customer base, they don't do BD menus any more, they don't have anywhere hear as good UI or the features of XBMC.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Is this what the streaming community wants......a library full of files in different formats and containers with a piss poor way to access them? Seems like catering to the pirate ships to me. No wonder the streaming platform is still in no mans land after years of trying.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Traditionally these kinds of companies never got the idea of good UI development it was always about video support and everything else was a second thought.
Sigma Designs knows which way the wind is blowing as XBMC has moved down to Arm chips and boxes like the Pivos XIOS have come on the market so they have ported XBMC to some of their line up (with DVD/BD menu support). Unfortunately I get the sense Dune are like Syabas and wont use the Sigma XBMC port as a platform to build on for the long term future and are sticking to their own software stack which is incredibly short sighted as they are already behind features and UI wise with little chance of keeping pace with almost a decade of work put into XBMC.
An increasingly small clique of users are going to be Dune's customer base, they don't do BD menus any more, they don't have anywhere hear as good UI or the features of XBMC.

You are a little mistaken, the sigma/xbmc build is not a platform you build off of, When it comes to retail it will be a turnkey solution, as in you get basic level access to make changes and that is it. its the same model that realtek used were only thing people could really change is the UI, And given sigma's track record would you put faith in a product from them when the only updates can come from them?
post #11 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this what the streaming community wants......a library full of files in different formats and containers with a piss poor way to access them? Seems like catering to the pirate ships to me. No wonder the streaming platform is still in no mans land after years of trying.

Yes and no, But who is the one that picks what format to go with, You have the apple houses going MP4, you have most other houses going MKV or bdmv/iso, So in order to claim as much market as they can they have to support a wide variety of formats, If you were in the place of DUNE or PCH would you be able to pick which format would net you a good amount of people as well as get people to transition from the other formats? Just look at these threads in here for the people that dont download, You have a big makemkv camp you have a big dvdfab camp and a big handbrake camp.

You cant pick MP4 as then you lose out on packed frame 3d, you cant just pick MKV as then you lose all the apple households, and you just cant pick bdmv/iso as even most of the people that run that also run makemkv.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Point taken........thank you.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

From Dune:
please note that our new models TV-102, TV-102AW, TV-303D and Base 3D are manufactured
for the first time by now.
Here are the details on the new models:
Dune HD Base 3D
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/37
(new product on the latest Sigma Designs 8672 chip with 3D video (including MVC format of
Blu-ray discs) and 3D graphics (OpenGL) support, with 3.5" HDD compartment and display)
Dune HD TV-303D
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/36
(next generation after TV-301 on new Sigma Designs 8672 chip
with 3D video (including MVC format of Blu-ray discs) and 3D graphics (OpenGL) support)
Dune HD TV-102/102AW
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/34
(next generation after TV-101 on new Sigma Designs 8674 chip)

In the Dune HD Base 3D spec sheet it says it handles bitrates greater than 50Mb/s. But will it handle the 90Mb/s+ bit rates that the 3D BD ISOs can have? I'm thinking about picking up another media player capable of 3D playback. It really depends how well my A400 works with 3D playback with a Mitsubishi DLP set that I have arriving next week.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #14 of 17 Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't see anything about 3d frame packed....
post #15 of 17 Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I don't see anything about 3d frame packed....

MVC in the specs is packed frame
post #16 of 17 Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 11
Was waiting for this...but I need the 7.1 analog outs that the Max has. I guess the analog outs are on the way out....
post #17 of 17 Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Liked: 11
I enjoy my Dune Smart H1. When will the new Dune HD TV-102 and Dune HD TV-303D be released? MSRP?

Ok, Some updated info

Dune HD TV-303D MSRP $199 USD

Dune HD Base 3D MSRP $349 USD

February Release....

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Tv303d Wifi 3d Streamer
Gear in this thread - Tv303d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page