Bluray to MKV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Here is my own stupidly long way of getting those darned discs onto my hdd. I've been doing it this way for years now so I know it works and I know the software isn't malicious. I know that I have a couple items that I paid for, but they are pay once with lifetime updates and are well worth it. Unfortunately, my guide requires you to have an nvidia card due to one piece of software that I make use of for frame serving.

This is going to be one long and painfully thorough guide. Hope I don't have to go back and make too many edits.

Software needed:
AnyDVD HD
I bought this when they still offered unlimited updates.

DGDecNV
Going to have to be patient and wait for Neuron2 to email you the license key after the purchase. Very nice piece of software this one is and the developer is very hands on if you have any problems.

Avisynth
1. Grab the link titled "AVS 2.6.0 Alpha 3 [110525]"
2. Install it.
3. This isn't necessary, but if you want just a tad bit more speed on your encoding time I suggest picking up the

Avisynth 2.6 MT. The link will take you to doom9 forum.

Click on the current version link at the top of the post. Download it, extract it and copy "avisynth.dll" to your "system32" folder if you are running 32 bit windows or your "syswow64" folder if on 64 bit windows.

BdEdit
Going to be used to look for the correct play list on some BD titles.

SupRip
I really only use this for movies that have forced subs that aren't hard subbed.

Megui
1. Extract the files and put them into a folder where you want the program to reside. example: c:\megui
2. Run "megui.exe" and go to "Options > Settings".
3. Click on the "Extra Configuration" tab and look for where it says "Auto Update". Make sure there is a check mark on "UseAutoUpdate". Select the drop down box below it and choose "use development update server". Click on the save button at the bottom. Just this one time, go ahead and selection "Options > update" and let it do its thing.

This part is going to be the most difficult part of setting up megui for max convenience later on.
1. I don't know what version of windows you are using so I will just go with the control panel route: Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System. On the left side of the window click on "Advanced system settings".
2. Click on the button labeled "Environment Variables"
3. Under the area called "System variables", scroll down until you see one called "Path"
4. Highlight "Path" and click the Edit button.
5. Select the "Variable value" field and then go to the end of the line by either using your right arrow key several times or your "end" key. Once your cursor is at the end, type out ";c:\megui\tools\eac3to\" without the quotes, and that is a semicolon, not a colon at the start.
6. I'm going to assume that you put megui in c:\megui but if you put it elsewhere you will have to adjust what you type into the variable value line accordingly
7. Hit the OK button on all the succeeding windows and you're done.

That concludes the arduous software install part of my dumb guide.


AnyDVD Part
1. Launch AnyDVD. It will end up in your taskbar.
2. Right click the AnyDVD icon in the taskbar and select "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk"
3. A window will pop up. Choose a location where you want the ripped files to go to by clicking on the folder button and selecting a folder. example: c:\source files\
4. Click the "Copy Disc" button and go make a snack.

After AnyDVD has done its thing we are going to check to see if the studio was kind enough to give us a single m2ts file for the movie. Open up the folder the movie was ripped into and then go further into the structure by selecting \BDMV\STREAM\. Sort files by size. If you see one that is 15+ gb in size (tv episodes will be smaller in size) then you hit gold my friend as this is most likely the whole movie, which you can confirm by playing the file and checking the start and end to see if it has the intro and credits respectively. Anyway, go ahead and skip to the DGindex part if you got lucky otherwise head on over to the BDedit section.

BDedit
This part just sucks and I have a hard time explaining the process but I will try my best.
1. Start up BDedit. Select the BDMV tab. At the top right side click on the folder button.
2. Select the folder our movie was ripped to. The top-most folder, not the bdmv\stream folder.
3. Select the PLAYLIST tab.
I am going to refer to certain things as ".mpls" and "PlayList area" and "file" according to what you see in the BDedit app so I hopefully don't confuse you too much.
4. Below and to the left of the PLAYLIST tab will be a dropdown titled xxxxx.mpls, go ahead and click on the dropdown arrow
5. Using your keyboards down arrow go ahead and look through each of the .mpls Notice that as you step through each different .mpls the area below called "PlayList" also changes. What you are looking for usually is a .mpls number that has alot of PlayList files in it.
6. Once you find a .mpls number with lots of PlayList files go ahead and check to see if it is the correct sequence by playing those files in the sequence shown under the PlayList area.

TsMuxer
Now we are going to put those files together in the order BDedit is showing.
1. Open up TsMuxer. It came with Megui so you can find it at megui\tools\tsmuxer\
2. Click on the add button and select the begining file told us by BDedit.
3. After that first file is added you will notice all the tracks that are inside the file. We are going to trim the fat and remove any tracks we aren't going to be using in our final file, for example I normally only include one audio file in mine.
4. Once you've removed the tracks you don't want you are going to finish adding all the files in sequence in accordance to BDedit's PlayList order. You do that by hitting the join button and adding those files one at a time.
5. After you are done adding all the files click on the M2TS muxing check box, click on the browse button to select a location you want to put the final file at and then clicking on the start muxing button.

DGindexNV
1. Open up DGindexNV located at megui\tools\dgindexnv\
2. Click on Options and put a check mark on "always crop 1088 -> 1080"
3. Drag and Drop your movie file (it is the .m2ts file) into dgindexnv and click "File > Save Project"
After it is done working you will see the audio files it ripped out and also a few other files. On to the next part!

eac3to
This is where we look to see there are any subs or not. I am usually only looking for forced subs so that is what I am going to go over.
1. Go to the folder containing our .m2ts file. Put your cursor into an empty part of the file explorer window and hold down shift then right click and select "open command window here"
2. Now to see what tracks are in this .m2ts file by typing in: eac3to "name of file.m2ts"
3. Yes please type in the quotes for the above step just in case your file name has spaces in it
4. After running that command you will see some stuff there that shows subtitle or pgs or both. I don't want to go much further in how eac3to works so go read up on it yourself smile.gif
5. If you do see subtitle/pgs files then we are going to rip those out by typing in: eac3to "file name.m2ts" (number associated with the subtitle along with the smile.gif (name we want to give the subtitle file). Damn that's confusing. Ok say eac3to spit out something that looks like this:
1: 1080 vid track
2: audio track
3: audio track
4: subtitle track
5: subtitle track

In the example above you would then use this command to rip out only the subtitles which are located in tracks 4 and 5
eac3to 4: sub1.sup 5: sub2.sup

How this works is like this: eac3to is the program, 4: is the track, sub1.sup is what we are naming the sub file. Since there are two sub tracks we are going to keep going on the same command line by adding in 5: which is track 5 and then sub2.sup which is what we are naming the 2nd sub track. Good lord sorry for all that confusion.

After eac3to is done extracting the sub tracks, look to see what it says is inside those tracks. If the file contains thousands of captions then most likely it is not forced subs so just skip the SupRip portion of this guide. If on the other hand you see a file with only a few captions inside or if it clearly states "x forced subs" then we head on to the SupRip part.

SupRip
Finally something easy!
1. Open up the subtitle file you suspect has forced subs. If the file in question is one that contains lots of captions but eac3to told us that it contains forced subs then click on SRT tab of SupRip and put a check mark on "only forced subtitles"
2. Click the OCR button if this truly is a forced subtitle file (depends on your language of choice) and proceed to OCR manually. Don't worry, SupRip learns the more it is used.
3. When you are done with the OCR process click on the SRT tab and save the file as an .srt file.

Too much time on my hands? Yea, probably haha I'll get to the final part of this guide tomorrow since I've run out of time or maybe I won't since the more I look at it the more it looks like a jumble of mess that no one wants to read.
DotJun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 66 Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
That's a lot of work. If I want an MKV file I just run MakeMKV, and it usually works 99.99% of the time. Or I use ClownBD and create folder structure with M2TS file.
jdanforth likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #3 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

That's a lot of work. If I want an MKV file I just run MakeMKV, and it usually works 99.99% of the time. Or I use ClownBD and create folder structure with M2TS file.

Yep, I have too much time on my hands haha the only part that bothers me is the audio is normally larger than the video after I'm done compressing the video that is.
DotJun is offline  
post #4 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
You should just get DVD rather than BD. I still don't understand why people waste time in compressing BD's audio and video.
cocoon likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #5 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You should just get DVD rather than BD. I still don't understand why people waste time in compressing BD's audio and video.
+100!
comicguy is offline  
post #6 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
NavySeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You should just get DVD rather than BD. I still don't understand why people waste time in compressing BD's audio and video.
1080p compressed properly >>>>>> 480p
NavySeal is offline  
post #7 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

1080p compressed properly >>>>>> 480p

Ok. Again waste of time.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #8 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I never said I compress the audio. Why would compressing 1080 = 480? That makes no sense.
DotJun is offline  
post #9 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Ok. Again waste of time.
again... +1! :-)
comicguy is offline  
post #10 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Ok. Again waste of time.
again... +1! :-)

If you can compress the video and end up with one that is visually transparent from the source then why would it be a waste of time? Obviously transparency is subjective.
DotJun is offline  
post #11 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

If you can compress the video and end up with one that is visually transparent from the source then why would it be a waste of time? Obviously transparency is subjective.

I suppose it works for you, but I stopped doing any compression to any of my BD movies. If I don't really care about the movie, but my kids or wife want it then I get the DVD, which has the same quality and sound of a compressed BD.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #12 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

If you can compress the video and end up with one that is visually transparent from the source then why would it be a waste of time? Obviously transparency is subjective.
Agreed! If you are happy with the result, go for it. I can easily see artifacts when using just about ANY level of compression of blu rays on my system so I don't do it! I did not spend tens of thousands of dollars on my system to save a few gigs of storage and then have to look at compromised video. This same philosophy also applies to stripping out the HD audio as some do. If you can't hear a difference, go for it! I can easily tell the difference between the formats..
comicguy is offline  
post #13 of 66 Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

If you can compress the video and end up with one that is visually transparent from the source then why would it be a waste of time? Obviously transparency is subjective.

Then why do we bother with Blu Ray disks? If 480p looks as good as 1080p let's simply get rid of all those junky BD players and those ridiculous disks.

It MIGHT look "transparent" to you on a 10" tablet, but most of us here have a decent display to watch movies on. Seems like an awful lot of work and time to save a little disk space, Hard Drives are cheap. I drop my BD in my computer run MakeMKV and in an hour have a nice file sitting there ready for me to watch, no muss , no fuss. But, whatever floats your boat...
Matt L is offline  
post #14 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
 
chadsdsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm gonna come out and say that I do not believe you guys that say they can see noticeable differences on bd's compressed down. I mean, of course a bd cut down to fit on a 9gb disc is gonna look worse (much better than dvd though), but a 35ish gb bd movie file cut down to fit a bd25 looks indistinguishable to my 30 year old eyes on my 65" plasma in just about all instances. I don't have experience with viewing them on anything larger, but suspect you would need to be pretty close to see a difference even on a projector setup. I mean, you really have to pixel peep to see it on a paused frame, let alone when in motion. I think that most people that believe there is a noticeable difference either have super vision ala clark kent, used poor compression software (I use bd rebuilder), or are simply basing their judgement on their past dvd experience or simply assuming that compressing a movie down by XX% means it will look XX% worse. That is just wrong. With the low cost of hard drives nowadays, I rarely take the time to compress my disks, but I would be lying if I said it was because I want to prevent my bd's from looking like dvd's rolleyes.gif I actually tested this once. I took t2 screenshots of the girl with the dragon tattoo. No, they are not the same exact frame but very close. Just fyi, this movie file was originally over 40gb, which many know is actually very rare as most of the movie files out there are only about 30ish gb to begin with. Anyways, I compressed the movie down to 22gb. I have not posted many pics on this site so I don't know whether the pics come out clear or not, but you tell me if you can tell a difference. One thing we can all agree on, one does not look "the same as dvd" compared to the other.I realize these are not the best frames to compare, but you get the point. vlcsnap-2012-03-27-22h40m31s157.png 2736k .png file vlcsnap-2012-03-27-22h37m58s156.png 2379k .png file
Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2012-03-27-22h40m31s157.png (2.67 MB, 33 views)
File Type: png vlcsnap-2012-03-27-22h37m58s156.png (2.32 MB, 30 views)
chadsdsmith is offline  
post #15 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post

I'm gonna come out and say that I do not believe you guys that say they can see noticeable differences on bd's compressed down. I mean, of course a bd cut down to fit on a 9gb disc is gonna look worse (much better than dvd though), but a 35ish gb bd movie file cut down to fit a bd25 looks indistinguishable to my 30 year old eyes on my 65" plasma in just about all instances. I don't have experience with viewing them on anything larger, but suspect you would need to be pretty close to see a difference even on a projector setup. I mean, you really have to pixel peep to see it on a paused frame, let alone when in motion. I think that most people that believe there is a noticeable difference either have super vision ala clark kent, used poor compression software (I use bd rebuilder), or are simply basing their judgement on their past dvd experience or simply assuming that compressing a movie down by XX% means it will look XX% worse. That is just wrong. With the low cost of hard drives nowadays, I rarely take the time to compress my disks, but I would be lying if I said it was because I want to prevent my bd's from looking like dvd's rolleyes.gif I actually tested this once. I took t2 screenshots of the girl with the dragon tattoo. No, they are not the same exact frame but very close. Just fyi, this movie file was originally over 40gb, which many know is actually very rare as most of the movie files out there are only about 30ish gb to begin with. Anyways, I compressed the movie down to 22gb. I have not posted many pics on this site so I don't know whether the pics come out clear or not, but you tell me if you can tell a difference. One thing we can all agree on, one does not look "the same as dvd" compared to the other.I realize these are not the best frames to compare, but you get the point. vlcsnap-2012-03-27-22h40m31s157.png 2736k .png file vlcsnap-2012-03-27-22h37m58s156.png 2379k .png file
a 65" screen??? Are we in the stone age? Who in the world watches movies on such a puny screen (other than casual viewing and the news)biggrin.gif
Again, I have no axe to grind with people who want to compress bd's down and strip out high def audio if that works for you! Just don't tell ME I can't tell a difference!:eek:My current rip to iso time is under 30 minutes and two clicks of a mouse. If you guys want to use your time to shrink bd's down, that is absolutely your right to do so!
Oh, and screen shots are a worthless way yo try and do a comparison, imo...
comicguy is offline  
post #16 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
jaymalya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I almost regularly use makemkv/mkvmerge/handbrake for ripping. Using constant quality in handbrake with 16.5 or 16.25 , I don't see any difference in quality . The file size becomes around 60 to 75% of the original size ( depends on how much fast moving action scenes are in the content).

jaymalya is offline  
post #17 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
chadsdsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

a 65" screen??? Are we in the stone age? Who in the world watches movies on such a puny screen (other than casual viewing and the news)biggrin.gif
Again, I have no axe to grind with people who want to compress bd's down and strip out high def audio if that works for you! Just don't tell ME I can't tell a difference!:eek:My current rip to iso time is under 30 minutes and two clicks of a mouse. If you guys want to use your time to shrink bd's down, that is absolutely your right to do so!
Oh, and screen shots are a worthless way yo try and do a comparison, imo...


Is that a sarcastic way of saying you watch your movies on a large projector setup? I ask because there have been a couple of comments on this thread where people have stated that compressed bd of any kind might as well be dvd, which you responded with +100! to. None of you have said how you view your movies, but do you all really feel that even on your system (which we can all agree based on your comment is far superior to my gt50 rolleyes.gif) that a compressed bd looks like dvd to you? I only bother to respond because I use this forum to gather information and I don't think that some of these comments are very helpful and greatly exaggerate things. The poster took the time to give his directions for making mkvs of his disks and the only comments some of these posters have are implying it is a complete waste of time because "compressed bd movies look like dvds" Btw, I agree that screenshots are not the best way to compare, but "worthless"? I don't think so
chadsdsmith is offline  
post #18 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 AM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Perhaps you mised the smilie face, or perhaps you are just mad you have to watch movies on a puny 65" screen. Either way, my answer is the same.. If you like watching compressed Blu rays.. More power to you! Just don't tell me I can't see the difference on my system! I think it is stupid to compress bd's, but I also don't like chocolate which many people do. It's called "an opinion". And yes, for the record, I do watch on a large screen projection system and my system is better than your! wink.gif
comicguy is offline  
post #19 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Agreed! If you are happy with the result, go for it. I can easily see artifacts when using just about ANY level of compression of blu rays on my system so I don't do it! I did not spend tens of thousands of dollars on my system to save a few gigs of storage and then have to look at compromised video. This same philosophy also applies to stripping out the HD audio as some do. If you can't hear a difference, go for it! I can easily tell the difference between the formats..
To all:
I agree with comicguy's above statement as applied to just about all things video and audio. It's entirely subjective as to what you, the individual, hears and sees, so if it is good for you and the future of your kit then go for it. Many people will readily see a difference if they view the original and compressed versions side-by-side, but that is not how we compare. Those same people may not "see" a difference if they first play the original version then switch to play the compressed versions. When viewed in isolation, it becomes difficult to see what you have lost by compression. The same goes for audio. Some people can readily hear a difference between AC3 and DTS but not between DTS and DTS-HD -- I put myself in that camp. However, I retain the HD audio in my rips because someday I may significantly upgrade my audio system and that may change my perception of DTS vs. DTS-HD.

When we talk about "compressing" a BD, what we really mean is that we are retaining the original 1080p resolution and recoding the video to decrease the bitrate. Most BD are encoded with H.264/AVC. The nature of H.264 is that the PQ degrades slowly as the video is starved for bitrate. The PQ gradually gets softer and you lose fine detail -- but you have to have a display that can reproduce the fine detail and you have to be looking for it to notice. If you are just looking at actors faces and bright things blowing up, you may not notice. You have to substantially starve H.264 before you start seeing gross artifacts and most people stay well above that threshold. So if you reduce the bitrate of the original BD transfer, you are losing fine detail -- you may not notice it because you are not looking for it or your display is not showing it to you so you conclude that it looks indistinguishable from the original.

As comicguy has stated, "If you are happy with the result, go for it." Just don't fool yourself into thinking you are not degrading the picture by lowering the bitrate and don't tell those of us who are anal enough to look for it that we don't see a difference. As you may have guessed, I don't decrease the bitrate of anything I rip -- BD or DVD. I would rather buy more HDD's or simply store less on-line.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #20 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Just don't fool yourself into thinking you are not degrading the picture by lowering the bitrate and don't tell those of us who are anal enough to look for it that we don't see a difference.

 

I happen to use a JVC projector with a 120 inch image and would guess the typical difference (reasonable compression) would be less than the focus variation one sees as the projector warms up. Is there a difference I'm sure there is... however it's more in your mind than on the screen. Unless you let your projector warm up for an hour (have seen this with a dozen or so projectors over the years) or refocus during the movie you have bigger issues to be anal about. :) 

Charles R is offline  
post #21 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,283
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I happen to use a JVC projector with a 120 inch image and would guess the typical difference (reasonable compression) would be less than the focus variation one sees as the projector warms up. Is there a difference I'm sure there is... however it's more in your mind than on the screen. Unless you let your projector warm up for an hour (have seen this with a dozen or so projectors over the years) or refocus during the movie you have bigger issues to be anal about. smile.gif 
Wonderful -- you are going to state you don't see the difference in fine detail when viewing an out-of-focus projector and tell me it's all in my head? Seriously?

So basically you don't see the difference because your equipment doesn't allow you to see it -- which is precisely what I said above. With my plasma in my viewing setup and distance, the difference is not in my mind. My equipment shows it and I see it -- period.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #22 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
chadsdsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
One thing I made sure to address in my first reply here was that I don't pretend to know what difference there was on a large screen setup, only that on my setup the difference was next to nothing. The only comments here that are , in my opinion, exaggarative are those that say compressed bd looks like dvd. Thats just not the truth. Its not even really a matter of opinion. Resolution is a tangeable thing that is not as open to opinion as you think. Yes, maybe on a large screen setup you can see a difference, but to say it looks like dvd is taking it too far.
chadsdsmith is offline  
post #23 of 66 Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
It looks like DVD. biggrin.gif

The most important thing is this:

FOR YOU TO BE HAPPY WITH YOUR RESULTS. I apologize if I didn't make this clear. I am very anal about picture and sound quality, but not everyone is like me! Another thing, is that your process seems to take a lot of time and work. Why not just use Handbrake with their batch option.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #24 of 66 Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
NavySeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Perhaps you mised the smilie face, or perhaps you are just mad you have to watch movies on a puny 65" screen. Either way, my answer is the same.. If you like watching compressed Blu rays.. More power to you! Just don't tell me I can't see the difference on my system! I think it is stupid to compress bd's, but I also don't like chocolate which many people do. It's called "an opinion". And yes, for the record, I do watch on a large screen projection system and my system is better than your! wink.gif
I watch my compressed 1080p BR's on a puny 65" like the other 94.5% of the population who watch their media on a TV. When some videophile friends come over they never mention anything being out of the ordinary.. That is enough for me.

in all seriousness though it's whatever works for the individual. Happy New Year!!!!!! smile.gif
NavySeal is offline  
post #25 of 66 Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Agreed! (and I never argue with a navyseal) biggrin.gif
When I go to my moms she watches her dinky Mitsubishi 65" tv on "dynamic" with the brightness and contrast cranked! She loves it! I can feel my retinas burning after watching the tv for about 5 minutes..I once tried to calibrate her tv for her and she DESPISED it! So back to "dynamic" with overblown whites and no contrast it went! Just don't tell ME that it looks good!
If you like it, that's all that matters!
comicguy is offline  
post #26 of 66 Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

Agreed! (and I never argue with a navyseal) biggrin.gif
When I go to my moms she watches her dinky Mitsubishi 65" tv on "dynamic" with the brightness and contrast cranked! She loves it! I can feel my retinas burning after watching the tv for about 5 minutes..I once tried to calibrate her tv for her and she DESPISED it! So back to "dynamic" with overblown whites and no contrast it went! Just don't tell ME that it looks good!
If you like it, that's all that matters!

I got mine on Dynamic too, but customized all the settings. I tried doing a custom setting and changing the settings on the other presets, but for some reason or another Dynamic looks better to me even though all the settings are the same on all of them.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

 

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

GusGus748s is offline  
post #27 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I started out building an htpc due to my kids not putting the discs away or destroying them or just can't plain reach them on the shelf.

Storage space is cheap as someone noted but if you can compress a file then you can have that much more content before running out of space.

When I say I compress them I am not talking about cutting them down by 80%, I normally only get about 40% reduction due to the crf value I choose.

Of course it isn't going to be transparent if you compare it frame by frame but that is not how you are supposed to watch movies, or maybe you do. X264 makes intelligent choices when compressing so of course it will dump bit rate in fast scenes since the developers never thought you would be pausing it frame by frame to compare it with the source.

Bluray is compressed and also does not look like the master. I have available to me the masters from sony studio and I can guarantee you that most blurays are not transparent when compared to the masters which are hundreds of terabytes in size.

Yes I choose pretty ridiculous almost placebo switches in my encodings to get the maximum amount of compression without sacrificing as much quality but that is because I have the hardware to run 24/7 at work to do so.

I never said I compress the audio but even if I did, I would compress to flac which is bit identical right? In fact, I used to compress the audio to flac but I found that sometimes the channels would get screwed up from their order and I couldn't be bothered to re-align them.

I know the process I do takes time but I have been doing this since x264 came out some years ago so I am very comfortable with my process.

As I said above, if a 3tb drive with an averaged size bd movie of 30gb can hold 100 movies then with my modestly compressed files that same hdd can hold 166 files. Yes I know you are going to say that is only 66 more files but my raid card only has so many ports.
DotJun is offline  
post #28 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Also, I never said I watch these movies on a tablet though I'm sure you said that just trying to make a point of how bad my movies must look even though you've never even seen them.

Encoding in 10 bit also helps.
DotJun is offline  
post #29 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
 
comicguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I started out building an htpc due to my kids not putting the discs away or destroying them or just can't plain reach them on the shelf.
Storage space is cheap as someone noted but if you can compress a file then you can have that much more content before running out of space.
When I say I compress them I am not talking about cutting them down by 80%, I normally only get about 40% reduction due to the crf value I choose.
Of course it isn't going to be transparent if you compare it frame by frame but that is not how you are supposed to watch movies, or maybe you do. X264 makes intelligent choices when compressing so of course it will dump bit rate in fast scenes since the developers never thought you would be pausing it frame by frame to compare it with the source.
Bluray is compressed and also does not look like the master. I have available to me the masters from sony studio and I can guarantee you that most blurays are not transparent when compared to the masters which are hundreds of terabytes in size.
Yes I choose pretty ridiculous almost placebo switches in my encodings to get the maximum amount of compression without sacrificing as much quality but that is because I have the hardware to run 24/7 at work to do so.
I never said I compress the audio but even if I did, I would compress to flac which is bit identical right? In fact, I used to compress the audio to flac but I found that sometimes the channels would get screwed up from their order and I couldn't be bothered to re-align them.
I know the process I do takes time but I have been doing this since x264 came out some years ago so I am very comfortable with my process.
As I said above, if a 3tb drive with an averaged size bd movie of 30gb can hold 100 movies then with my modestly compressed files that same hdd can hold 166 files. Yes I know you are going to say that is only 66 more files but my raid card only has so many ports.
no reason to get all defensive! if it works for you, great! Personally I prefer to dop a disc in, rip to Iso in 20-30 minutes and call it a day! Although some tv series are a complete pain in the ass and take forever to load (homeland comes to mind) so I may go MKV for those at some point!
comicguy is offline  
post #30 of 66 Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Seems some people are confusing bit rate vs resolution. 1920z1080 at a lower bit rate it still far superior to a 720x480 dvd - and you really think an old movie with grainy source looks better at 50mbps bs 20mbps? no.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Metric is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off