Cheap NAS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there such thing as a cheap NAS? I just want something to play music from with a networking receiver and maybe video, id only need 500GB at most and no dual back up stuff.

Is there such thing? If not what comes close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post

Is there such thing as a cheap NAS? I just want something to play music from with a networking receiver and maybe video, id only need 500GB at most and no dual back up stuff.
Is there such thing? If not what comes close?

What is your price range?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Why not jsut get a USB HDD and plug it into your Router? I know my Wireless router (Linksys) I can plug a USB HDD into it and share it over my network.....
post #4 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
This was posted in deals over on the HTPC forum. Hook up an external drive and you are up and running for under $100. I am not a big fan of leaving external drives on continuously, but it might meet your needs.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Why not jsut get a USB HDD and plug it into your Router? I know my Wireless router (Linksys) I can plug a USB HDD into it and share it over my network.....

IDK what I was thinking or why google wasn't cooperating all I was finding was $500 and up RAID back up things but now that I look theres stuff like the Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 to the western digital mybook live, back up would be nice but I don't really have anything to back up and certainly not important to redundantly back up.

So can you just plug any USB HDD in or does it have to say NAS on it? I think I'm going to get the WD Mybook live its only $100 for 1T or $140 for 2. Could I stream video off this with a networking receiver or just audio? I basically want this so I can steam from something like sonos when my computers off and so I can put in lossless files but I don't want to spend the money on sonos and I just want to get a receiver with dual zone for now.

What does the apple time capsule offer that a regular drive doesn't?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 269
when I did it, I just plugged the USB HDD (it was a 2TB) and set up the share in my routers web console. You need to make sure you Router has this capability though 1st, if it does you should be able to stream whatever content you have on the drive, youll also be able to access from a local computer as it will be set up as a share on the network.......

YOu should really decide what you want, RAID is good for having "failure" protection, but remember that youll be getting at least half as much space as what you put in.....You can get USB HDD enclosures for much cheeapre that are non raid (or external HDDs pre assembeld) put a few Hard Drives in there connect it to your router and voilla you have network storage.......That is only if your router suports this function though, not all do.....

As long as your receiver has netowrk capability it should be able to see the network share of the HDD plugged into the router and play\browse the music on there.....
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page