Media player roundup: What are today's recommendations? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 56 Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You're welcome! Let us know what you think.
This morning I was watching Castle In The Sky with the kids. It's a DVD rip. Something different happened: For the movies titles and end-titles, a little "camera" icon showed up in the upper left hand of the screen and the title chapter's words (the credits, basically) were all in Japanese; like somehow the DVD was playing an alternate scene based on my DVD player location... which I could find no place to modify. I couldn't find any setting that described this behavior; maybe it's familiar to some of you?

I actually enjoyed watching the Japanese credits! But, it would be nice to know how to "unset" this setting.

-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been using the PCH A200 and A210 for a while now and they are perfect for my needs. I use them to stream both recorded TV shows and movies I have backed up to my server.

I keep all my content on USB drives attached to a server. BD's I normally just rip the title (don't care about extras) and will retain the HD audio but sometimes recompress the video to save some space. I view things normally on a 1080P projector on 100" screen.

For menus, cover art I use yamj which scans all the content, extracts the media information and presents all the information in a nice cover art display with movie info (genre, actors, plot synopsis etc.) in a HTML format that the PCH displays fine. I usually keep all my content in m2ts format (there is no need to use mkv for content you have created yourself).

yamj can produce some quite nice cover art displays as you can see from here

http://mediaplayersite.com/skins

I don't have any hard drives in either PCH and I have not ever been required to have one. The content is all streamed over the network, either over 100Mbs hard wired or for the other PCH, over Powerline.
post #33 of 56 Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for updating. Your experience has convinced me to give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post

Update to my own post about the HD700 from KDLinks.
This morning I got up and decided I needed to clean up my own video library. WIth a bit of programming, I wrote some code to scrub my directories, rename files, remove all but subtitles, movie files and thumbnails and even update the thumbnails. It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. The results are that the HD700 now shows nice thumbnails for all the movies, my file names are consistent and the user interface is nicer to use. IE, I should have done this a while ago.
-Pete

Can you share some detail on how you executed this clean up? I am in need on similar maintenance for my library, but have not found a good way to do it (especially updating thumbnails).

Thanks.
post #34 of 56 Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM

I am also curious if you have tested any 3d blu ray isos? I am about to pull the trigger on this one to play my 3d isos.
post #35 of 56 Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a six month update:
Well, get this: This machine hasn't crashed once. The only time I've rebooted it is when I had to change settings on my router.
And, also: This machine still has never studdered once. I mean, jezz, the playback is still really perfect.

Now, here's the funny thing: I've ended up basically going back to the old 2004 approach to displaying my content as a directory listing of files. Sometimes if I have guests, I'll go to the pretty thumbnail view. But you know, when it comes right down to it, I'm glad I didn't pay extra for a machine with "juke box" types of functionality because in all honesty it's just not important to me.

So, not a moment's of buyer's remorse. It was a relatively cheap piece of hardware that has worked flawlessly for what I wanted it to do. Yes, the interface is still a joke.

-Pete
post #36 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the review.

Can you clarify 2 functionality for me.

1. Is 7.1 DTS master audio and Dolby TrueHD bitstream passthrough supported.

2. Can it handle full sbs 3d blu ray mkv playback.

Many thanks.
post #37 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know the answer to either of your questions. I have my unit plugged into a vanilla TV that only has a left and right speaker.
I'm considering moving the unit to my home theater downstairs. If I do, I'll be able to check more features; but for now I don't have answers.
post #38 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwz38 View Post

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the review.

Can you clarify 2 functionality for me.

1. Is 7.1 DTS master audio and Dolby TrueHD bitstream passthrough supported.

2. Can it handle full sbs 3d blu ray mkv playback.

Many thanks.

From their website and specification it states that it handles the following:

Key Features

HD700 can truly decodes, playback and outputs High Definition 3D/2D 1080p videos through HDMI 1.4 interface. It can play almost any media files.
- Video Files - BDMV, BD-ISO, MKV, MOV, WMV, TS, M2TS, MTS, FLV, AVI, DVD-ISO, VOB, M2P, MP4, MPG, DAT, ASF, TP TRP, SWF
- Video Codecs - H.264/AVC, MPEG1/2/4, DivX/Xvid, VC-1, and RMVB
- Audio Formats - DTS/DTS-HD MA, Dolby AC3/True-HD, LPCM, ADPCM, FLAC, APE, LC-AAC, HE-AAC, MP3, OGG, WAM, WAV
- Image Formats - JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, and TIF
- 4 USB, 1 SATA & LCD Front Panel
- Video Output: RCA, YPbPr and HDMI
- Support 2D/3D* (*Require 3D TV and Glasses)

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #39 of 56 Old 07-04-2013, 12:01 AM

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2
post #40 of 56 Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Following up on my on post:
This week I decided I'd "reopen" my home theater. I was shocked at the amount of s-video and component cables I had running everywhere. My pioneer receiver is so old that it doesn't handle audio through HDMI, but my DVDO Edge will pass audio through my SPDIF, so I was ok. My JVC RS1 still looks great as it has a new bulb and the room is 100% light controlled with a blacked out ceiling.

I decided to go all HDMI for video sources; dusting off my component shelves and populating them with a new gigabit switch, and my PS-3, Apple TV, Roku-3 and a new (second) KDLinks HD700.

Now I'm seeing the KDLinks performance on a big 1080p screen. I'm trying out the 24hz settings as well as testing the audio capabilities. My receiver is 7.1, but I only use 5.1, by the way.

The KDLinks continues to shine. I will say that I had it crash on me once now; it was when I decided to use the wireless streaming capabilities instead of wired.

I've only found one problem with my system at this moment and it's how my system is (incapable of) handling aac audio, which some of my content uses. When I pass this audio using "raw" from my HD700 through to my receiver, I get no sound. I'm a complete novice when it comes to understanding all the various audio formats and their transport mechanisms, but I seem to recall the aac audio is rarely supported by receivers. So, I have to tell the HD700 to output LPCM, which is "for 2.1 systems" (according to the KDLinks manual.) Sure enough, if I output RAW, I get great sound for formats my system supports, but nothing if it's ACC. If I select LPCM, my files with great audio get down-converted to just 2.1. Thus, unless I'm missing something I have to change audio settings in a menu depending upon the format of the audio in my video file. That's annoying...

Other than that, since I just bought another KDLinks HD700 for my theater room, I guess I give it two thumbs up... both as an initial unit and a long-term unit.

-Pete
post #41 of 56 Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So, I just received my kdlinks HD700 from Amazon today. I plugged it into the TV and went through the menus.

My initial impression is mixed. Most importantly, it immediately saw my attached network devices and let me browse them. It showed the directories and files fine and the response time for browsing the directories was acceptable. I started to play video files and have been sitting here for over an hour trying out everything from DVD ISOs to very large 1080p files in MKV containers. Not a single hiccup. The video playback is this player's strong point.

Some of my videos have multiple audio tracks and subtitles. With files that have SRT files with them, it gives some nice options for subtitle resizing, colors and placement; a nice touch.

Another nice feature is that while browsing your directories, you have three options for displaying the content. A simple file list with sorting options, a thumbnail view that shows the first image file found in that subdirectory as its thumbnail and finally a "preview" view that shows a truncated file name list and as you select it, starts to play the video in a small file. (This is my favorite.)

The downside of the browsing is that my file names are large and only the standard file list display shows the whole name. That list is limited to 8 files, and you have to "page up or down" to see the next 8. It's definitely like going back in time to my, well, Popcorn Hour A-100, but a bit worse as I think the Popcorn Hour could display 10 to 12 files on the screen.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any capability for bookmarking a favorite network location... which means you have to hit the back button through your entire directory structure if you want to pick another location. There's a favorites screen, but it seems to be for RSS feeds. (Huh?)

The machine is solidly built and I rather like the old-school LED-looking panel on the front. Wait, it IS an LED panel. Ha ha. But, it's better than the traditional blue power button.

The saddest aspect of this machine is its "Premium Apps" menu choice. Selecting it brings up a couple of pages of Chinese web sites that don't work. Seriously, none of them do anything but give you a "The system time/date is not synchronized with NTP server yet. Possible connection error might happen." Now, I happen to know what a Network Time Protocol is, but pity the person who either doesn't or would like to do something about this error. Wait, I'm that second guy! Needless to say, if you buy this machine, you're best to pretend the "Premium Apps" menu choice isn't there. Be Zen about it.

Other menu choices make sense and work fine. There is a nice selection of configurations, including what I would consider a mandatory 24hz mode for 1080P.

Funny thing about the menu: When you're playing a video, you can hit the "home" button and you get a very nice inset menu down below your screen with everything found in the master menu screen... it works great and feels like they added it later (it uses color icons instead of the goofy metallic looking ones in the main menu) throughout the product development cycle.

I haven't tried to directly plug in any of my storage devices to it (I don't want to use it that way), but it looks to be very easy to do with many input ports available.

Oh, I should mention that I have it wired through my gigabit network.

For the playback, it has some nice aspect ratio, zoom and playback speed features. They all work fine. Did I mention fast forwarding works well? I get some studders at fast rates, but I'm pretty sure that's my harddrive, not my network or the device.

One thing that I like is the remote control. It's a nice medium size. Oh, the menu button requires you to shift your hand location to hit it... but you are mostly hitting just the center button and the back button. Like lots of other system, it has four mystery buttons of various colors. Hit one and you'll see system information with lots of chinese characters. Ha ha.

So, in a nutshell, this ain't no Apple device when it comes to the polish of the user interface. But, I've been playing with it for close to 3 hours now (I'm watching The Watchmen as I type) and it has not had a single problem with playback. Not a studder, pause or video glitch. No audio pops either, but I'm just playing it back through my cheap "upstairs" TV. So, to summarize: It does what I needed quite well Unfortunately, I have no way of saying how it would compare with any of the other devices mentioned here.

Cheers,
-Pete

Pete

A few questions:

Optical out?

Netflix?

skip forward or reverse, 30 sec jumps?

thx

bob
post #42 of 56 Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Bob,
It has optical out and I've used it without a problem. But, like with the HDMI, if you chose "RAW" as the output format, and your files is ACC encoded, you better be passing it to something that can decode it.
The onboard decoder seems to be capable of only turning it into stereo... That's a weak link I'd like to see them fix.

As for fast forward, I don't recall it having a 30 second skip, but the fast forward works very well. It's rewind that is the problem. It's slow. I've never seen any kind of streaming device handle rewind well. (I have no idea what I'm talking about, but my guess is that it's an artifact of video compression using forward video frame change analysis.)

I'm curious if anyone else has used the KDLinks machine and has had an experience similar to mine?

-Pete
post #43 of 56 Old 08-19-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bob,
It has optical out and I've used it without a problem. But, like with the HDMI, if you chose "RAW" as the output format, and your files is ACC encoded, you better be passing it to something that can decode it.
The onboard decoder seems to be capable of only turning it into stereo... That's a weak link I'd like to see them fix.

As for fast forward, I don't recall it having a 30 second skip, but the fast forward works very well. It's rewind that is the problem. It's slow. I've never seen any kind of streaming device handle rewind well. (I have no idea what I'm talking about, but my guess is that it's an artifact of video compression using forward video frame change analysis.)

I'm curious if anyone else has used the KDLinks machine and has had an experience similar to mine?

-Pete

Thanks, Pete

On it's way from Amazon!

bob
post #44 of 56 Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked: 16
Pete:

I don't have a KDlinks but I have an ASUS O!play and it acts similarly. My Yamaha receiver doesn't apparently decode AAC 5.1. I have a Western Digital SMP (gen3) and it does play AAC but yes only in stereo. Any AAC from either machine encoded in
stereo works fine, such as youtube mp4s. What I do with the WD SMP is just have the movie play stereo and then have the Yamaha fake 5.1 or 7.1 surround -- it works okay. Sometimes the O!play works and I can hear stereo, but sometimes almost all
of the sound is gone. I'm not sure if the newest receivers support AAC 5.1 -- hopefully they do. Otherwise I just look for stuff encoded in DTS or AC3 5.1.
post #45 of 56 Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inajaro View Post
I have a Logitech Revue, which provided everything I was looking for in a smart box (got it with the 1080p panning webcam which sealed the deal). Problem was, the unit couldn't process video web content because of lack of internal storage. So I have been doing some research on smart media boxes that would hopefully deliver a smooth experience at a reasonable price. I was reviewing posts on this forum to get feed back on one device in particular. Has anyone looked at or considered the "AIOS HD Media Center, Full HD 1080p, Gigabit Network, USB 3.0 data, Flash Reader, 3.5" SATA 2? I know it has been on the market for at least a year, but, at $89.00 on Amazon, it sounded to me like (after all of the refinements to date) it delivers everything that has been discussed in this forum segment and I didn't see it anywhere else on AVS? any thoughts?
The AIOS HD Media Center is a FANTASTIC media player! I have enjoyed its usage for 2 years now and I'm very satisfied. What lead me to purchasing it is the good people over on the DVDFab forums highly recommended it (maineman, GregiBoy & Jonatan) as there were many threads about how to defeat or circumvent the latest audio watermark protection scheme called Cinavia. Media players are the only tried and true way to enjoy your movies YOUR WAY without being imposed upon by the movie industry's draconian restrictions.

The reason I chose this particular media player over all of the others are a few attributes that make it stand out beyond all of the rest as far as I'm concerned:

Internal HDD Support - There aren't many capable, affordable media players that offer the option to insert your own 3.5" internal HDD inside the device. I installed a 3TB Seagate HDD and it recognizes it seamlessly. This is extremely beneficial for movie afficionados like myself who prefer to archive all of my films in their original form with the audio and video intact with high bitrates as streaming such large-sized files isn't an option on many wireless networks.

USB 3.0 - There aren't a slew of media players that offer this high speed option, especially back in 2011 when this player debuted. This is tremendously useful as it would take HOURS to transfer the movie files back and forth from this drive otherwise. I connect the 3TB HDD inside the media player to my PC with this port.

HD Audio Support - Many media players are unable to passthrough lossless audio formats like DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. If they do, it isn't reliable with some files working and others not. For those who had the same issue with this player as I did with intermittent HD audio dropouts, try turning OFF 1080p Hz.

Plays Blu-ray Folders - Granted, it will merely play the largest files inside the BDMV > STREAM folder but it's better than not being able to do this at all as many media players can't. It does not, however, support playlists which would basically make this player complete.

Fantastic Support - In terms of support, you will never find any other product's tech dept. more helpful or friendly than aasoror (on Amazon as well as on the Pivos Forums). He is in charge of updating the firmware for the AIOS and he's not only very knowledgeable and informative, but also extremely helpful and won't give up unless you understand his explanations and instructions. He has created marvelous firmware alternates that have a beautiful UI and he has left instructions on how to add your own background skins, not to mention many other tweaks and customizations as well. For anyone who's interested, here is the official AIOS forum where you can converse with aasoror: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Disc Drive Support - I was able to connect an internal Blu-ray drive to this unit with the help of a USB 2.0 to IDE SATA Converter Cable with Power Adapter for 2.5 3.5 inch Hard Drive DVD Drive CD Drive. I cannot tell you how handy this is as even the eject function can be operated via the AIOS remote. This is also a proven way to bypass Cinavia on backed up discs played through drives connected to media players. It works great!

Last edited by SuperFist; 07-19-2014 at 03:53 AM.
post #46 of 56 Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
The AIOS HD Media Center is a FANTASTIC media player! I have enjoyed its usage for 2 years now and I'm very satisfied. What lead me to purchasing it is the good people over on the DVDFab forums highly recommended it (maineman, GregiBoy & Jonatan) as there were many threads about how to defeat or circumvent the latest audio watermark protection scheme called Cinavia. Media players are the only tried and true way to enjoy your movies YOUR WAY without being imposed upon by the movie industry's draconian restrictions.

The reason I chose this particular media player over all of the others are a few attributes that make it stand out beyond all of the rest as far as I'm concerned:

Internal HDD Support - There aren't many capable, affordable media players that offer the option to insert your own 3.5" internal HDD inside the device. I installed a 3TB Seagate HDD and it recognizes it seamlessly. This is extremely beneficial for movie afficionados like myself who prefer to archive all of my films in their original form with the audio and video intact with high bitrates as streaming such large-sized files isn't an option on many wireless networks.

USB 3.0 - There aren't a slew of media players that offer this high speed option, especially back in 2011 when this player debuted. This is tremendously useful as it would take HOURS to transfer the movie files back and forth from this drive otherwise. I connect the 3TB HDD inside the media player to my PC with this port.

HD Audio Support - Many media players are unable to passthrough lossless audio formats like DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD. If they do, it isn't reliable with some files working and others not. For those who had the same issue with this player as I did with intermittent HD audio dropouts, try turning OFF 1080p Hz.

Plays Blu-ray Folders - Granted, it will merely play the largest files inside the BDMV > STREAM folder but it's better than not being able to do this at all as many media players can't. It does not, however, support playlists which would basically make this player complete.

Fantastic Support - In terms of support, you will never find any other product's tech dept. more helpful or friendly than aasoror (on Amazon as well as on the Pivos Forums). He is in charge of updating the firmware for the AIOS and he's not only very knowledgeable and informative, but also extremely helpful and won't give up unless you understand his explanations and instructions. He has created marvelous firmware alternates that have a beautiful UI and he has left instructions on how to add your own background skins, not to mention many other tweaks and customizations as well. For anyone who's interested, here is the official AIOS forum where you can converse with aasoror: http://www.pivosforums.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Disc Drive Support - I was able to connect an internal Blu-ray drive to this unit with the help of a USB 2.0 to IDE SATA Converter Cable with Power Adapter for 2.5 3.5 inch Hard Drive DVD Drive CD Drive. I cannot tell you how handy this is as even the eject function can be operated via the AIOS remote. This is also a proven way to bypass Cinavia on backed up discs played through drives connected to media players. It works great!
This device has been discontinued. Pivos has just released the XS at $99.00. Pivos certainly has come a long way and aasoror has done a great job as you stated. Their version of XBMC may be a compelling alternative to an HTPC or other media players. I'm actually interested to see how this player turns out.
SuperFist likes this.

Looky here!

Last edited by robnix; 07-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #47 of 56 Old 07-21-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
This device has been discontinued. Pivos has just released the XS at $99.00. Pivos certainly has come a long way and aasoror has done a great job as you stated. Their version of XBMC may be a compelling alternative to an HTPC or other media players. I'm actually interested to see how this player turns out.
Here is the bit of aasoror's review on Amazon that caught my eye and why I will stick with my AIOS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror
XIOS vs. AIOS
------------------
Android is what makes this box shine (and similar boxes), for example when you capture a picture/video with you Android phone while doing your grocery it gets automatically uploaded to your dropbox accounts which is then immediately accessible on your TV with your android media box.

Its not meant to be a power horse (thus lacking with higher bit rate files that the AIOS plays it without a problem), but its meant to offer a way better overall experience. Not to mention I was able to hit 13 mbps MKVs without a problem (which isn't even half bad).

So its a better device all around, but what can the AIOS do that the XIOS can't do ?..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a nut shell ?
- Not enough power to process high bitrate MKVs (over the network XIOS panic at > 13 mbps while AIOS panic at > 25mbps)
- No ISO playback support (Android thing).
- No BDMV playback support (Android thing).
- No DTS/DD/DTS-MA/DD-TrueHD passthrough/bitstreaming (Android kernel thing).
- No output A/V outputs beside HDMI.
http://www.amazon.com/review/RM3T0V3...re=electronics
post #48 of 56 Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Here is the bit of aasoror's review on Amazon that caught my eye and why I will stick with my AIOS...

http://www.amazon.com/review/RM3T0V3...re=electronics
Just to clear up that part and bring it up to date.

- ISO/BDMV/DTS/DD can be played back using the XBMC port (be it Android or Linux).

As I said back in 2012, AIOS lacks big time when it comes to presentation compared to the XBMC based XIOS (though you can make it look good if you invest time into it), yet its still the same workhorse it was back in 2012 (with its bitstreaming capabilities that DS/XS lacks).

That said, AIOS has been discontinued for some time already, same for almost every notable Realtek based solution. DS and XS are amlogic based solutions while leaves some to be desired yet are certainly steps in the right direction and brings so many on the table compared to the AIOS.

my 2 cents
SuperFist likes this.
post #49 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have tried most, the best to me is the new nuc celeron, openelec build.
Awesome! Built in ir, 24p, hd audio, great looking interface. If no 3d , local media, I have not used a better solution. I have used , Apple TV, wdtv, htpc, ntv500, mede8er, popcorn hour, roku, etc. openelec rocks!
post #50 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Guys, I hope you realize this thread was necro bumped. last post was from Aug 2013 and 1st was 1/2013
post #51 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpump View Post
I have tried most, the best to me is the new nuc celeron, openelec build.
Awesome! Built in ir, 24p, hd audio, great looking interface. If no 3d , local media, I have not used a better solution. I have used , Apple TV, wdtv, htpc, ntv500, mede8er, popcorn hour, roku, etc. openelec rocks!
What the heck are you referring to?

bob
post #52 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
What the heck are you referring to?

bob
A NUC is an itty bitty Intel PC that is not necessarily cheap. It doesn't have much horsepower but it has enough to act as a media player -- it is small and cute and doesn't take up much room in an AV rack. Everyone should have a pet NUC.

openelec is a very stripped down version of Linux designed to run on these mini-PC boxes with a minimal footprint and basically run XBMC.

See:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/05/in...cbuntu-how-to/
and
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #53 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
A NUC is an itty bitty Intel PC that is not necessarily cheap. It doesn't have much horsepower but it has enough to act as a media player -- it is small and cute and doesn't take up much room in an AV rack. Everyone should have a pet NUC.

openelec is a very stripped down version of Linux designed to run on these mini-PC boxes with a minimal footprint and basically run XBMC.

See:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2014/05/in...cbuntu-how-to/
and
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Intel_NUC
Cool stuff, Had no idea. Do you know if any have optical digital audio out? I have to have that. How much are they?

thx

bob
post #54 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I don't have that info off the top of my head. Check the links I cited for hardware specs and look them up on Amazon.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #55 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Guys, I hope you realize this thread was necro bumped. last post was from Aug 2013 and 1st was 1/2013
Yes, we do, but that doesn't make it any less relevant with information that will benefit many people looking for media playing solutions today. With the brief mentioning of the AIOS as a possibility last year and no one backing up its efficaciousness, I thought it prudent to offer my experience with it for 2 years along with aasoror, the main Pivos tech support person, chiming in as well on the new Pivos XIOS model.

Old threads ofttimes offer very helpful information to present consumers and its a pity websites either close or frown upon added insight many months or years after the original post.

Last edited by SuperFist; 07-22-2014 at 06:24 PM.
post #56 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Yes, we do, but that doesn't make it any less relevant with information that will benefit many people looking for media playing solutions today. With the brief mentioning of the AIOS as a possibility last year and no one backing up its efficaciousness, I thought it prudent to offer my experience with it for 2 years along with aasoror, the main Pivos tech support person, chiming in as well on the new Pivos XIOS model.

Old threads ofttimes offer very helpful information to present consumers and its a pity websites either close or frown upon added insight many months or years after the original post.

One might start a new thread and link to the old one then. Sometimes people don't look at dates and start replying to years old posts. Normally necrobumping is frowned upon if a thread hasn't had activity in a year. There is a search function that is very useful for getting old information.

I understand why you did it however and appreciate your contribution.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page