What devices can stream Showtime and HBO Go? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got Showtime and I'm looking for a new tv -- what devices will stream these services? I've been digging through every smart tv review I can find and haven't found anything about what I need. I'm also looking for a set top box that will stream these for the other tvs around the house. Is Roku my best bet? I REALLY don't care for the Roku interface but of course Apple TV won't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post

Just got Showtime and I'm looking for a new tv -- what devices will stream these services? I've been digging through every smart tv review I can find and haven't found anything about what I need. I'm also looking for a set top box that will stream these for the other tvs around the house. Is Roku my best bet? I REALLY don't care for the Roku interface but of course Apple TV won't do it.
I have the Roku so can't speak to other streamers. However, I suggest you determine that your Showtime and HBO provider participates. I have Comcast and they don't allow HBOGO.
J

"If wishes was horses we'd all be eatin' steak." -- Jayne Cobb
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM

I have Comcast as well and HBO Go works fine here. I'm in Boston, MA.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Currently, HBO GO streams to Samsung Smart TVs, Xbox 360, Roku, phones, tablets, Kindle, web browsers, and is likely coming to the Apple TV shortly.

Showtime Anytime streams to phones, tablets, and web browsers. There are no dedicated devices, consoles, or televisions that stream it yet.

Time Warner Cable NEO
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgee View Post

I have the Roku so can't speak to other streamers. However, I suggest you determine that your Showtime and HBO provider participates. I have Comcast and they don't allow HBOGO.
J

Some providers don't like Roku specifically. I know Directv allows HBOGO on just about any device EXCEPT Roku. They block it on Roku because they feel it is a threat to people cord cutting(why they single out Roku is a bit silly IMO tho).

This may be why it doesn't work for you. I think Time Warner or one of the other big ones does this too.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Please also remember that many companies (for instance Cox) operate differently depending on what part of the country you live in, what may be OK for one cusotmer may not be for another......As its been said though the ONLY device youd be able to do both on is an HTPC with a full browser, other devices will do HBOGO, but then you need to make sure your provider allows it...
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgee View Post

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Some providers don't like Roku specifically. I know Directv allows HBOGO on just about any device EXCEPT Roku. They block it on Roku because they feel it is a threat to people cord cutting(why they single out Roku is a bit silly IMO tho).

This may be why it doesn't work for you. I think Time Warner or one of the other big ones does this too.

This is correct.

As a Comcast customer, HBOGo works for me on my XBox 360, but not my Roku. RoKu has an HBOGo App, I have an HBO subscription through Comcast, but Comcast won't allow HBO subscribers to use HBOGo on Roku.

Why Comcast allows customers to use it on Xbox360, but not Roku, I do not know...

Information is very sparse on what devices are/aren't approved for Comcast subscribers. I just called customer support and didn't get an answer.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 12
That is bullcrap. That is actually driving more people to piracy, that actually want to pay for the content!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page