Denon 1611ud video streaming from media server does not support most formats - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Denon 1611ud Blueray player a while ago ... have owned Denon equipment for several years and wanted to stay within the brand.

The Blueray disc player is very nice. However the DLNA player is not able to play most formats of video files when streamed from my home Synology server.

AVCHD videos seem to play fine, but I have had extreme difficulty getting WMV, MP4, MKV, and AVI to play. When I open a video file I get the green progress indicator for a while in the upper right corner of the screen, then either an alert "This format unsupported!", or sometimes I'll get video with no audio, or audio with no video, or the player hangs and I have to reboot it.

My $99 Sony Blueray player will play all of these formats just fine, but the Denon won't. I took the Denon into service shortly after I bought it -- they kept it for a couple of weeks and then told me nothing was wrong with it.

Is there a trick to getting the video decoder chipset to work properly on this unit, or do I have a broken unit?

Thanks. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Most BD players are typically terrible digital media players and more obscure ones like Denon are still in the operating with the mindset of physical media. If your looking for a more competent digital media player which is also a brand name BD player then LG or Samsung are the ones to go for.

They only way to make that Denon play anything is with a PC that can run a transcoding DLNA server with a profile specific to Denon. Thats not possible with the Synology as it does not have the CPU power to transcode video.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my Synology media server package does have a transcoder for FLAC/AAPE, AAC, OGG, and AIFF formats. But the Denon is having issues with some AVI and MP4 formats, both of which it supports. Apparently there are nuances in the video and/or container formats that the Denon gets very specific with. In some cases i have been able to convert my video files to work, but in some cases not.

It would be nice if the player had a more specific list of supported and unsupported formats ... the user guide is not very specific and claims formats that don't work in some cases.

I am going to look for a better video file inspector program (currently I use FreeMake converter which tells me some level of detail) so I can tell more specifically what works and doesn't work on the player.

My Synology server does have a transcoder, but does not have a profile specific to the Denon (it does have a Sony Blueray player profile). Maybe if Synology comes up with a Denon Blueray player profile things will work better ...

In the meantime, if you know of any good video file encoding inspectors and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks. John
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page