Is there a media player for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a media player that I can connect to my network that either has local storage/ports for storage and/or the capability to stream off a NAS. I want to be able to wirelessly upload media to the device from my laptop. What options do I have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1406 View Post

I am looking for a media player that I can connect to my network that either has local storage/ports for storage and/or the capability to stream off a NAS. I want to be able to wirelessly upload media to the device from my laptop. What options do I have?

Lots!

To narrow things down a bit, describe your playback equipment, your media file types, and resolutions
post #3 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Lots!
To narrow things down a bit, describe your playback equipment, your media file types, and resolutions

Currently I'm just using a thumb drive to play xvids on my Xbox360. It's really annoying to constantly transfer files and the Xbox360 is too limited in what it can play. I would like to be able to play as many of the popular file types as possible. Definitely want x264 and MKV. Maybe MPEG. Looking for as much flexibility with file types/resolution as possible I guess.

I've looked at some of the popular streamers (Roku, Boxee) and they both look like they would work fine as far as file type support, but I am not sure what device would be best as far as networking goes.

Thanks!
post #4 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #5 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Roku is for primarily playing internet based files. Boxee was for playing primarily local files, but it has many issues and has been unimproved in a long time. For reliability and flexibility in playing local files, Go with a Dune Smart series player.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Even the lowest model Dune is more than I was intending to pay, considering it even still needs an HDD. If the Dune is my single best option, then so be it, but is there another streamer that would suit me? Perhaps the Mede8er series?
post #7 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Dont pay the over rated price for the DUNE. If you are not playing ISO files with menus no need, The WDTV, popbox v8, any of the mede8er or any other play based off the 1186 will be fine, popcorn A210 would work. For simple mkv/avi playback you can get something decent in the 80$-150$ range.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Dont pay the over rated price for the DUNE. If you are not playing ISO files with menus no need, The WDTV, popbox v8, any of the mede8er or any other play based off the 1186 will be fine, popcorn A210 would work. For simple mkv/avi playback you can get something decent in the 80$-150$ range.

Great, thanks. All of these are networkable in the way I described? I don't know what the 1186 is. Would you mind providing a few links and pros/cons of each unit? I'm not familiar with any of those (other than just recently coming across the mede8er). Thanks!

Another function I'd like to have (but not necessary if it's too much trouble/money) would be streaming from the box to laptops/ipads.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11
1186 refers to the Realtek RTD1186 SoC (System on a Chip") chipset used in many media streamers. There are other chipsets such as the ARM family.

Here's the WDTV Streaming Media Player, highly recommended, costs around $100:
www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
post #10 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

What I like about the Mede8er is that it has a large local HDD. Can I access the HDD just like any shared drive on my network and just drag/drop files onto it?
post #11 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
WDTV Live, or.... If you need 1TB of add'l, local storage in the device and/or could use a built-in DLNA server, opt for the WDTV Live Hub. Has its software quirks but has been a great piece of hardware for me in the year that I've owned it.

I lust after the Dune boxes, but I just can't justify the price on them.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post

WDTV Live, or.... If you need 1TB of add'l, local storage in the device and/or could use a built-in DLNA server, opt for the WDTV Live Hub. Has its software quirks but has been a great piece of hardware for me in the year that I've owned it.
I lust after the Dune boxes, but I just can't justify the price on them.

Is the WDTV Live Hub HDD expandable/upgradable? 1TB isn't much space these days.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:

Is the WDTV Live Hub HDD expandable/upgradable? 1TB isn't much space these days.
You can always plug a drive array into the USB port. The Lives support GPT partitions.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #14 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 11
I have been really happy with my Dune Smart. Eventually I added a hard drive to it to store Blu-Ray images. It plays everything you throw at it and is easy enough for everyone to use. Getting zappiti setup on it makes it even better. I was sick of trying to use my PS3 to play files and it not always working right.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You can always plug a drive array into the USB port. The Lives support GPT partitions.

GPT partitions?
post #16 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GPT partitions?
Traditional MFT partitions only support volumes up to 2TB. Starting with Win Vista, support for GPT partitions was added to allow volumes >2TB. Using GPT partitions you could put a pair of 3TB drives in a suitable external enclosure that supports JBOD and format them as a single 6TB volume which could then be plugged into the WD Live.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha, thanks for the info. What is the main advantage of the WD TV over the Mede8er series? Pros vs. cons of both?
post #18 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

You would be best served looking at the respective threads for those players. You mentioned the desire for wireless. The WD Live-SMP has built in wireless. I have the WD players and know nothing about the mede8er players other than they have been getting a lot of favorable posts in their threads. If I was looking for something different, I would certainly give their line a good look. I personally don't have much value for players that support internal HDD. 1 or 2 TB internal HDD are just too small these days. I would have much more value for the ability to attach a substantially larger drive array via USB.

The most frequently voiced negatives for the WD Live are that it doesn't support full BD menus and it doesn't support DTS-HD. Well, what $80 player (that is still current) does support full BD menus. To get that you have to double the price point and go from there. As to DTS-HD support, one should first establish whether or not they can actually hear the difference between DTS and DTS-HD with their equipment. I cannot so it is not an issue for me.

- kelson h

post #19 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You would be best served looking at the respective threads for those players. You mentioned the desire for wireless. The WD Live-SMP has built in wireless. I have the WD players and know nothing about the mede8er players other than they have been getting a lot of favorable posts in their threads. If I was looking for something different, I would certainly give their line a good look. I personally don't have much value for players that support internal HDD. 1 or 2 TB internal HDD are just too small these days. I would have much more value for the ability to attach a substantially larger drive array via USB.

The most frequently voiced negatives for the WD Live are that it doesn't support full BD menus and it doesn't support DTS-HD. Well, what $80 player (that is still current) does support full BD menus. To get that you have to double the price point and go from there. As to DTS-HD support, one should first establish whether or not they can actually hear the difference between DTS and DTS-HD with their equipment. I cannot so it is not an issue for me.

I understand. Thanks for the advice, Kelson. My aim was to come away with a couple models to research further and I think I now have what I need.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page