TVIX S1 and 6640 streaming from XP PC and from each other.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have 4 - 2TB hard drives connected to my Windows XP laptop that use to stream Blu-ray rips to both my 6640 and S1 TVIX. The 6640 has hard drive installed that I use for SBS 3D movies and I just installed a 2TB into the S1 as I have problems streaming BR with HD audio enabled on the S1 (using Bluecore patch) with studder which I have no issues with the internal hard drives or the 4 - 2TB drives connected direct to the S1.

I have no issues with streaming to the 6640 as I did not install the Bluecore patch to it as I think it will only do PCM audio and I am only really needing HD audio to the S1 which is in my Theater (130" with 7.1 SS) and the 6640 is in my living room (55" simple 5.1 3D system).

Question 1: Can the two TVIX devices see each other on the network and stream to each other from the internal hard drives? When I browse uPnP devices it does not seem to show up on either.

Question 2: Is there media server software that I can install that will show the Blu-ray rips on all 4 - 2TB drives as just one large folder? I have tried Serviio, XBMC and PLEX but non of them seem to want to show the movies in their native BR rip format which is all I do with my Blu-rays is pop the disc in and select "movie only" in DVDFab and stores the files in a "Stream" folder with .m2ts files which I then use tvixie to get all the cover art etc so that when I browse all my 4 discs it shows all the nice cover art and movie info. I feel there has to be a better (easy) way then what I am currently trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Question 1: Can the two TVIX devices see each other on the network and stream to each other from the internal hard drives? When I browse uPnP devices it does not seem to show up on either.

No, they do not have UPnP servers present in them. They might have Samba file servers though it's been a long time since I have seen a Tvix box I cannot recall if they have this feature.
Quote:
Question 2: Is there media server software that I can install that will show the Blu-ray rips on all 4 - 2TB drives as just one large folder? I have tried Serviio, XBMC and PLEX but non of them seem to want to show the movies in their native BR rip format which is all I do with my Blu-rays is pop the disc in and select "movie only" in DVDFab and stores the files in a "Stream" folder with .m2ts files which I then use tvixie to get all the cover art etc so that when I browse all my 4 discs it shows all the nice cover art and movie info. I feel there has to be a better (easy) way then what I am currently trying.

Software RAID might combine the drives into one but not sure about USB drives. Symlinks might also do it free from RAID but these can be complicated to set up in Windows, switching over to linux like Ubuntu might be more reliable where it's better supported.

You cannot stream BDMV native disc structure through UPnP/DLNA, only standalone digital video files. Use MakeMKV to extract the video from the BD disc in native format and they will play that way. Ripping to BDMV is a waste of space if the player cant play menus or view the extra content on the disc, maybe the Tvix cant handle BD/MKV files if so you go to stick with network shares.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

No, they do not have UPnP servers present in them. They might have Samba file servers though it's been a long time since I have seen a Tvix box I cannot recall if they have this feature.
Software RAID might combine the drives into one but not sure about USB drives. Symlinks might also do it free from RAID but these can be complicated to set up in Windows, switching over to linux like Ubuntu might be more reliable where it's better supported.
You cannot stream BDMV native disc structure through UPnP/DLNA, only standalone digital video files. Use MakeMKV to extract the video from the BD disc in native format and they will play that way. Ripping to BDMV is a waste of space if the player cant play menus or view the extra content on the disc, maybe the Tvix cant handle BD/MKV files if so you go to stick with network shares.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I think they do have Samba installed on both. I am able to see the internal hard drives in both units from my mac and PC but I can not see them from one and other. Perhaps if I map the drives from the XP laptop I can then get to see each other... I will keep messing with it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page