Master and Commander DVD - poor sound? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

this may be a little off topic - but i wasn't sure where else to post this.

can anyone else confirm that the DVD version of Master and Commander has weak audio? like the first 10 minutes of the movie there is a sea battle with cannons etc, and the sound is just kind of anemic. it's like they did a crappy job recording it when they did the audio for the movie.

i've got lots of other movies on the same system and they sound great - but this particular DVD sounds like crap. it's an ISO rip running on my dune max, if anyone think that matters. again, all other movies i play (including lots of ISO rips from my dvd collection) sound really good.

can anyone else confirm that this is a movie with weak sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I dont even know where to begin :-)

This link should suffice:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311113/awards
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch View Post

can anyone else confirm that this is a movie with weak sound?

Since this is one of my favorite movies (and I do have the DVD version), I can attest that the movie definitely do NOT have weak sound. smile.gif Maybe your ISO rip didn't copy correctly?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch View Post

can anyone else confirm that the DVD version of Master and Commander has weak audio?

Actually, I can confirm quite the opposite. The DVD release of Master and Commander has long been considered among the very best in the area of audio. In fact, the year it was first released, it was hailed in many reviews especially for its audio tracks. It is often referred to as a "reference quality" DVD, and it usually ends up being praised more for its excellent audio than its video transfer (which was also considered quite good.)

A typical example, from a review I just found:

"Master and Commander on DVD was a disc I was impressed with for the quality of the 768 Mbps DTS track. I continue to be impressed by the sound quality on Fox's discs, including Independence Day, I, Robot, The Day After Tomorrow, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and now Master and Commander. This is what home theatre is about! All speakers are in use here and the directionality is spot on. I truly believe I have cannons beside my sofa, powerful, heavy cannons. Not for the faint of heart is this one, at reference level volumes."

So, I would suggest the following...

1) Is your set-up / equipment capable of DTS? If it is not, and you are listening to the DTS track, then the audio will definitely appear barely audible, and "weak." I have seen this on a few occasions. There are DVDs where the default track that plays automatically is the DTS track, and if you play it through (as an example) an older TV using older stereo phono jack connections, then you would barely hear the audio track. A faint, weak soundtrack, throughout. The solution, is to simply go into the DVD menu, and switch to one of the other audio tracks. Try the 5.1 DD track, and even the stereo track. Compare. (I know this is true of the "Last of the Mohicans" DVD - and the default track on that disc was also the DTS track.)

2.) If the above is not the reason, then I suggest you post a rundown of your entire set-up, and maybe someone here can help you trace this through.

I can promise, it is not a "weak audio track" on that disc. It is one of the strongest ever, and one of the most robust ever.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Okay, but does the DVD also sound weak...technically is shouldn't matter if all you did was create an ISO.. Also the sound is weak if you're not listening to it in 5.1 surround sound and it's being downmixed to 2.0. I know that volume gets lowered when this happens although I'm not sure what the technical reasons are.

Personally that's the movie I use when showing off the home theater system, that first battle sounds awesome...that or the shoot up fest scene from Matrix!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

ah ha!

okay - so the default audio track is track #1: "Dolby Digital EN multichannel" and well, it's kind of weak.

i switched the audio track to track #2: "DTS EN multichannel" and it's awesome.

thanks guys - mystery solved. i'm surprised my .iso defaults to the weak audio. if i get curious enough, i'll try the physical dvd and see what it defaults to.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
That cannon battle is what I use to show off my home theater. Prior to the battle, the creaking of the ship sets the mood. Then cannon balls sizzle through the air in various directions between the speakers. The cannon shots themselves are awe inspiring demonstrations of subsonic sound, causing the furniture in the room to seemingly bounce above the floor. When the cannon balls strike a ship, I swear I can taste each splintering fiber as wood is shredded into a million pieces.

Actual quote from an innocent bystander:
"I thought your house was going to fall down. Aren't you worried about the foundation"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page