Time to update to a better media server... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love advice from everyone here to confirm whether I am thinking along the right lines...

Right now I am using my PS3 to stream movies. PS3 is hardwired to a Dlink switch (DGS-2208) which is connected via category 6 cable in the walls to a comcast modem in another room (SMCD3G0). Movies are on a WHS machine which is connected to another Dlink switch (DGS-1008G). This Dlink switch is also connected to the Comcast modem.

Issue I am running into is trying to stream HD movies from the WHS to the PS3 (mainly large mpg and mp4 files). Since I have a PS3 I end up converting all my mkv files to mpg. I constantly will have lag and stuttering issues. What I end up doing is just transferring the movies over to the PS3 hard drive. The hard drive is only so large so I am considering buying a home media server (primarily for the ability to stream movies). Based on what I have read on this forum, it seems like I should purchase a Dune series player. Would this solve my issues?

Thought is I would just copy the movies onto the Dune HD Duo player and not have to worry about any of my current issues.

If I go with this player is it a pretty simple GUI to transfer a file from the server to the player?

Thanks for reading this.

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by augie428 View Post

I would love advice from everyone here to confirm whether I am thinking along the right lines...
Right now I am using my PS3 to stream movies. PS3 is hardwired to a Dlink switch (DGS-2208) which is connected via category 6 cable in the walls to a comcast modem in another room (SMCD3G0). Movies are on a WHS machine which is connected to another Dlink switch (DGS-1008G). This Dlink switch is also connected to the Comcast modem.
Issue I am running into is trying to stream HD movies from the WHS to the PS3 (mainly large mpg and mp4 files). Since I have a PS3 I end up converting all my mkv files to mpg. I constantly will have lag and stuttering issues. What I end up doing is just transferring the movies over to the PS3 hard drive. The hard drive is only so large so I am considering buying a home media server (primarily for the ability to stream movies). Based on what I have read on this forum, it seems like I should purchase a Dune series player. Would this solve my issues?
Thought is I would just copy the movies onto the Dune HD Duo player and not have to worry about any of my current issues.
If I go with this player is it a pretty simple GUI to transfer a file from the server to the player?
Thanks for reading this.
-Greg

You could just stream from your whs to the dune. why would you need to transfer the movie to the dune?
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being used to the ps3 streaming large files directly always seemed to go poorly. Dune should be able to handle that with no stuttering issues?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page