Advice for Watching Movies on TV from NAS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all:

I'm hoping you can give me some advise. I recently setup a Synology DS413j NAS and have a small, but growing collection of movies that I would like to be able to watch on my TV. In my previous setup I have used an ATV2 with XBMC that works wonderfully for the task. As ATV2 devices are no longer available, and ATV3 doesn't currently support XBMC I'm at a crossroads as to how I should proceed. I could get something like a Roku that supports plex, but since my NAS doesn't have a very powerful processor I'm concerned I'll have playback issues on any of my movies that would require transcoding. I've done a little looking at the Pivos device, but that looks a little un-proven as of now. I really don't want to build an HTPC b/c of cost, and I'll have a few users that need a very simple, no maintenance solution. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmiller22 View Post

Hi all:
I'm hoping you can give me some advise. I recently setup a Synology DS413j NAS and have a small, but growing collection of movies that I would like to be able to watch on my TV. In my previous setup I have used an ATV2 with XBMC that works wonderfully for the task. As ATV2 devices are no longer available, and ATV3 doesn't currently support XBMC I'm at a crossroads as to how I should proceed. I could get something like a Roku that supports plex, but since my NAS doesn't have a very powerful processor I'm concerned I'll have playback issues on any of my movies that would require transcoding. I've done a little looking at the Pivos device, but that looks a little un-proven as of now. I really don't want to build an HTPC b/c of cost, and I'll have a few users that need a very simple, no maintenance solution. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks!

The Roku2 has a pretty good Plex client. It should Direct Play or Direct Stream most of the files off the Synology. A Sony Google TV box ( 2nd gen) would be even better as a Plex client and it handles other things as well. The Pivos DS is pretty neat when used as an XBMC-Linux box. I have an 1812+ Synology and all the players mentioned. It really depends on what You will be streaming. I am not streaming DTS audio so I have yet to run into problems with the Sony. There is a Plex Media Server distribution for the Arm based Synology and ReadyNas units. I guess you have to decide if you want to run Plex or XBMC. If Plex then Sony or Roku. If XBMC then Pivos at this point.

The problem with the Sony is the price. It is getting up to PCH-A400 levels. The problem with the Pivos is that it's still in beta though Davilla who worked on the ATV XBMC port now works for them so it will only get better. Sony and Roku give you premium streaming options.

If you don't have a lot of videos thn why now just use the ATV? mkv is not the only container around.

philip
post #3 of 4 Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Phillip.

Perhaps the roku2 and plex would be the best setup for assuming no xbmc for atv3 in the near future. Ultimately, I think I like xbmc better, but I don't think it's worth the increased cost or complexity for the streaming device. I other thing I really enjoyed on my atv2 was the ability to use airplay which I don't think I will get with the roku2/plex solution.

Another question related to your point on direct stream with Roku. Is there a way to scan all my my movies and identify any that wouldn't be supported natively by Roku? I could then batch convert them to make sure I never encounter an unplayable movie.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I also noticed the WD TV Live device out there. Any thoughts about how this compares against the others?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page