Dune Max HD 3D at CES - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 142 Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'am crossing my fingers as well, because if they base it on an Intel Chip there could be chances to just run a full XBMC installation.
Honestly for me it does not make sense to use XBMC only as a frontend instead of also utilizing its playback engine. Its no rocket science to implement a propper ASS support - but Dune failed so miserably that it hurts mad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 142 Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any indication of a release date? I can't find any info anywhere, which leads me to believe it's probably many months away.
post #93 of 142 Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any indication of a release date? I can't find any info anywhere, which leads me to believe it's probably many months away.

With HDi's history of announcing and showing off conceptual products and then never releasing them... My best guess is the day after never.
post #94 of 142 Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

They said the target was CEDIA (late summer), but it could easily be later than that.
post #95 of 142 Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 11
Ahh, thanks.
post #96 of 142 Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Hmmm. Full 3d support mean MVC mkv files? Does it include xbmc overlay while whatever video is playing? Mythtv DVR plugging support? Only Netflix support would be needed then. I'd get 3, though I would only need one 3d model. Even then I could probably get away with no bluray drive on the other two units. But xbmc interface with live TV,Netflix, and full codec support (including 3d files as 2d for non 3d TVs) are necessary.
post #97 of 142 Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

Hmmm. Full 3d support mean MVC mkv files? Does it include xbmc overlay while whatever video is playing? Mythtv DVR plugging support? Only Netflix support would be needed then. I'd get 3, though I would only need one 3d model. Even then I could probably get away with no bluray drive on the other two units. But xbmc interface with live TV,Netflix, and full codec support (including 3d files as 2d for non 3d TVs) are necessary.

I would be surprised if it had all that as really XBMC is being used more for the UI (not saying plugins won't work, just not sure how much of XBMC will get stripped out)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #98 of 142 Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

They said the target was CEDIA (late summer), but it could easily be later than that.
I was going to guess February 30th for release date.
As much as I LOVE my current Dunes their announcements for upcoming prodcuts leave a LOT to be desired...
post #99 of 142 Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would love to give HDi / DunePlayer my money for one of these things, if it ever gets released to the public.
I really like XBMC now. XBMC integrated into a STB would be great.
post #100 of 142 Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 PM

I am not sure if somebody hasnt post it already but have you seen this?

ebookbrowse.com/shipping-q1-2013-dune-hd-max-3d-pdf-d403596588
post #101 of 142 Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luge8 View Post

I am not sure if somebody hasnt post it already but have you seen this?

ebookbrowse.com/shipping-q1-2013-dune-hd-max-3d-pdf-d403596588

I think that's the one that was shown and like always, HDi always has one model that they show every year and it never ever reaches production. It's more of a proof of concept (vaporware as far as I am concerned).
post #102 of 142 Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post

I'am crossing my fingers as well, because if they base it on an Intel Chip there could be chances to just run a full XBMC installation.
Honestly for me it does not make sense to use XBMC only as a frontend instead of also utilizing its playback engine. Its no rocket science to implement a propper ASS support - but Dune failed so miserably that it hurts mad.gif

the only media player that will have XBMC running , is not a dedicated media player, but satelite box

The developers already being development the firmware/software for about 2 years, its called http://prismcube.com/ruby/ its the
same company that launch the vuo+ duo2 and solo2.

features02.gif

and its coming on the end of the month to europe

http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/threads/prismcube-release-date-and-price.12333/

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Av receiver Onkyo TX-NR 818

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #103 of 142 Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

enjoy first installation

the price will be 315 euros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhk369mlXIU&feature=player_embedded#!

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #104 of 142 Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

the only media player that will have XBMC running , is not a dedicated media player, but satelite box

The xbmc/sigma has been in dev for about 2 years as well. Most likely its what dune showed off. sigma was doing a turnkey xbmc solution. while the vuplus seems interesting looks like its more for live tv then anything else like the dreambox. the specs for a BCM7413 are under powered and the video formats it supports are basix x264 and aac with some dolby digital it looks like
post #105 of 142 Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

The xbmc/sigma has been in dev for about 2 years as well. Most likely its what dune showed off. sigma was doing a turnkey xbmc solution. while the vuplus seems interesting looks like its more for live tv then anything else like the dreambox. the specs for a BCM7413 are under powered and the video formats it supports are basix x264 and aac with some dolby digital it looks like

you right, looks like a limited xbmc version, its hardware limited.

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #106 of 142 Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What ever happened to The Dune HD PRO?
post #107 of 142 Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

What ever happened to The Dune HD PRO?

Vapor ware. They show one unit/model ever year that never makes it to production.
post #108 of 142 Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Still vaporware. Dune has taken a strange stance they switched to the lower end sigma chipsets and offered slightly lower prices then in the past. Really hoped they would work something with the 8910 chipset but seems they are taking a back seat. With the intel NUC system and if they improve them they would make a workable xbmc solutions for a reasonable price.
post #109 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 01:44 AM

Maybe they tested the bug ridden 8910 from Sigma and, unlike Popcorn, decided it wan't fair to use their paying customers as guinea pigs?
post #110 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

"Dunes the worst .... they have so many chips they can use and a new product is never released."

..... months later....... new dune product released. Same people now crying .....

"Dune sucks. They rushed a product to market and its not ready for users. They expect us to be beta testers. Im going to do htpc cause its $20 cheaper anyway." Lol

post #111 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 AM

My impression is that people are generally happier with the Base 3D / Zappiti than with the A400. I am still using my H1 while my A400 has been stored in its box, to avoid frustrations, since January. All this time I've been hoping for a release of a new Dune player with all the promised bells and whistles but unfortunately I was wrong. I suppose the pressure from Sony, Hollywood & Co is slowly killing this business.

It is unbelievable that in this day of age instead of going forward and releasing new, better players, we have to take one huge step backward and live with BD Lite and all the countless problems deriving from it because Sony says so. I once had a great respect for Sony and their products, not anymore.

Their business model is so old fashioned. In audio there has been constant progress. There are streaming services, free / paid for radio services, virtual shops for music where you can buy and download content up to 24/192. The films however are still exclusively sold as DVD / Bluray's. Yes, we have the likes of Netflix and LoveFilm but their video / audio quality is appalling.

If you want Bluray quality you have to buy the bloody disk and play it in a bloody Bluray player approved by bloody Sony. Their way or the highway. They don't care that plenty of people don't have the space or desire to turn their living rooms into storage rooms for their plastic disks. They don't like the idea of having their precious disks copied, they do everything they can to discourage you, the paying customer, to store and play back these disks in any other way than intended by them. And they have no future plans to change this.

Truth is, from Sony's point of view, we are all pirates. Everyday they implement new technologies, scripts, encoding, policies, web police to make things ever so difficult for player manufacturers and for us, consumers, to watch their films in anything but their approved ecosystem. Whether Dune, Popcorn or Mede8er, the issue is not with manufacturers, chipsets, SDK's and drivers. We had a perfectly usable, rock solid and highly performing 2D generation. 3D however will never happen. BD Lite is simply not fit for purpose (otherwise Sony wouldn't have kindly made it available) and the BD stack will never be licensed again to anything but their precious Bluray players.

So unfortunately, the way I see it, we have lost this battle. Until someone will break this order of things one way or the other the future is not BD iso or BD folder for 3D, there will never be a fully usable 3D streamer with the same kind of performance or experience as a Bluray player.
post #112 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurux View Post

Maybe they tested the bug ridden 8910 from Sigma and, unlike Popcorn, decided it wan't fair to use their paying customers as guinea pigs?

Actually the same bugs that hit the A400 hit the base 3d as well even down to the major DTS-HD issue. But as PCH came out first and had to wait for a month or two for Sigma to get the fix out in the sdk. When Dune players hit the market. The suffered the same DTS-HD bug but it was only a matter of Sigma moving the fix to the sdk for the 867x chipsets. So while the 867x based players seem less buggy a lot of it is due to the fixes being pushed to the A400. It would have been reversed if the Base3d hit the market first as well. They would wait a long time for the fix then if the A400 came out they dont have as long to wait.

Its always how the sigma based players are. Whoever is the first in the market to use a new generation is the one stuck with taking a beating on the bugs. As you noticed if you take Dunes tv103 model it had the same bugs as the A300 in terms of HD audio. PCH has said they are still trying to get a fix from sigma for that serious so like before when the A300 gets the fix more then likely sigma will push the same fix to the sdk that the tv 103 model uses then Dune model will also get the fix. For the longest Time Dune avoided this situation by using the same SDK across all the players in the early days of the SMART models. Once they moved to newer sdks with the tv models and now the base models they are in the same boat with the exception they kept there line in the 867x chipset line meaning it shared most of the sdk as the tv model they had already so for basic playback they were already a step ahead.

If I had to bet I would say either they dropped some resources or they are really working on that intel solution and did not want to put a boat load of DEV work into the newer sigma chipset when they are trying to make a push for the intel device.
post #113 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Halfelite, we've been here before. I respect you, it makes sense what you are saying but the issue here is very simple: you manufacture a product, you rush it to the shelves, you promise the world, you deliver bugger all. Gigabit ethernet that doesn't work, 3D iso that doesn't work, HD audio that doesn't work, VXP poorly implemented doing next to nothing, a processor twice as fast that feels twice as slow and so on. There are two ways to deal with this: either, ideally, you take your time and create a solid software platform before you release the product or you put it on sale but make it clear that it's a work in progress, that some things will work better than others, that some features are nothing more than good intentions that might make it into the final product, but might not.

It's also a question of self respect and respect for your customers. If you go on sale with A400 the way it was performing 7 months ago it means that you couldn't care less about your customers or your brand recognition. Personally I would rather continue to sell the Smart series and maybe experiment with some low end players, as Dune does, until I am able to deliver a Max or a Pro that works as advertised save for a few minor bugs. We are not buying hardware, we are not purchasing specs on a sheet of paper, but a finished product that should work as advertised on the product webpage.

Now let's go back on topic. If I have to wait for another year or two until a Max or a Pro will be able to deliver a decent experience I would wait rather than repeat the A400 fiasco. My A400 is still in its box and, following the threads here and elsewhere, it looks like it will continue to stay in its box while my main player is still a much cheaper Dune. I think this says it all.
post #114 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Dune dropped smart series its no longer being sold either. They just have the base and tv series now. Again the base launched 4+ months after the a400 and we saw the same issues so what does that say about dune and there testing for a better product for the 4+ months before that they had the same issues even after PCH got them resolved from sigma they were still hit. You can sit on a box for years and hope to perfect it but we dont live in a perfect world there is 90000000000 different setups and files people play you are bound to have issues outside of your production QA testing. With your logic we would never get any new players. No company can sit on a chipset like you say for a year or two. Sigma will drop support for that chipset before you even get a final product out the door. Look how fast intel dropped boxee box and it never did get a fix for hd audio. In this world you either release a player and fix bugs as you go or you dont release anything at all. And take for example a Dune pro if they work on it for 2 years, two years ago you start using the new i3 that came out, it would not handle video nearly as good as the i3/i5 released today. You either have to keep up with tech to keep up with playback capabilities or you dont. Go back to the orginal dune series and pch series they are solid on playback yet no longer could handle the bitrate of newer movies like quantom of solace and avatar.
post #115 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 17
Have watched Quantum of Solace and many more movies much later than that on my dune smarts many times. All play fine..
post #116 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Go back to the orginal dune series and pch series they are solid on playback yet no longer could handle the bitrate of newer movies like quantom of solace and avatar.

You lost all credibility with that last sentence... I have over 6,000 Blu-ray movies (and over 7,000 TV episodes) and not a single one plays with any problems on any Dune (I have 3)...with the exception of one... Akira with its 14,340 kbps 24/192 True-HD track chokes the 53D Lite with its low power chip. All other Dunes plays it fine. I have yet to find a single movie that the Dunes will not play as long as its not some strange frame-rate or encoding.
post #117 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

You lost all credibility with that last sentence... I have over 6,000 Blu-ray movies (and over 7,000 TV episodes) and not a single one plays with any problems on any Dune (I have 3)...with the exception of one... Akira with its 14,340 kbps 24/192 True-HD track chokes the 53D Lite with its low power chip. All other Dunes plays it fine. I have yet to find a single movie that the Dunes will not play as long as its not some strange frame-rate or encoding.

I don't understand how someone could lose ALL credibility by making one inaccurate statement. rolleyes.gif

Looky here!
post #118 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I don't understand how someone could lose ALL credibility by making one inaccurate statement. rolleyes.gif

Ask Paula Deen. One mistake derails an entire career....but in his case, its not just an inaccurate statement, its a complete falsehood. There are no "newer" movies that the Dunes have problems with. Period. Especially the ones he mentioned.
post #119 of 142 Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Ask Paula Deen. One mistake derails an entire career....but in his case, its not just an inaccurate statement, its a complete falsehood. There are no "newer" movies that the Dunes have problems with. Period. Especially the ones he mentioned.

That wasn't the only big mistake she made over the last few years, and this one wasn't just a single incident either. But that's OK, it doesn't completely discredit you from having any knowledge of Food Network has-beens.

Looky here!
post #120 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 06:11 AM

Halfelite, I'm sorry to notice again that you are ever so slightly biased when it comes to Syabas or whatever they are called these days. Let me ask you one simple question and then I will really shut up because I don't want to trash this thread: how was the A400 a progress, 7 months ago, the last time I touched it, compared to A300 or any of the Dune Smart series?

Gigabit ethernet - huge issues, it never worked properly, I hear it still doesn't perform as advertised. When it was launched the "performance" was a joke, even streaming 1080p mkv was a problem. Surely someone must have tested it on some home network because it didn't work reliably in any configuration, with any switch, router or NAS. Today I read that, performance issues aside (there is an "app" you download and try profiles hoping that one might work for you), it has to be rebooted every few days because it simply drops connection out of the blue. When's the last time you used network "apps" and profiles for a Dune Smart, when's the last time you had network speed issues with it, when's the last time it dropped connection? Halfelite? Anybody?

Bluray 3D iso - not sure it needs any comments at all. There have been constant updates but I understand that at least the Disney titles (some of the few movies worth watching in 3D) still have plenty of problems because of seamless branching.

HD Audio - big problem at launch. Unusable. Again, surely someone must have tested it before releasing it because it wasn't working whatever the system.

Dual Core processor - did anybody notice the extra speed? 7 months ago my A400 was actually slower than my TviX 6500, using a 2008 chipset.

VXP - anyone using it? I doubt it.

7 months on since launch people still complain of random freezes, network problems, unreliable Bluray playback (and I am not sure about HD audio) while we have lost support for the full Bluray experience with menus.

So for the few 3D Bluray films we can now watch we have to put up with a host of problems, most of them features that used to work flawlessly in the previous generation.

Now let me get back to my question: how is A400 a progress? Yes, I hear you, it has potential. Has any of this potential been unleashed in the last 7 months? Have you, Halfelite, who, if I remember well, don't watch any 3D titles, noticed or benefited from this progress in anyway? Do you find this A400, for your particular usage on your particular system, any better than a Dune Smart? Is there any must have feature to compensate for the lack of Bluray menus?

And how long now until the potentially great A400 will be old news and a hardware revised A500 will be out? Because we all know the clock is ticking and by the time we come back from our summer holiday it will be about a year since A400 came to the world to make our lives better.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page