post #121 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

You lost all credibility with that last sentence... I have over 6,000 Blu-ray movies (and over 7,000 TV episodes) and not a single one plays with any problems on any Dune (I have 3)...with the exception of one... Akira with its 14,340 kbps 24/192 True-HD track chokes the 53D Lite with its low power chip. All other Dunes plays it fine. I have yet to find a single movie that the Dunes will not play as long as its not some strange frame-rate or encoding.

That is interesting as I think you even made a comment on the thread for quantom of solace. It was a huge thing during the HD Base 3.0 and prime 3.0 Although I think you said you were one of the ones that had it working. It is the opening scene during QoS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

That is interesting as I think you even made a comment on the thread for quantom of solace. It was a huge thing during the HD Base 3.0 and prime 3.0 Although I think you said you were one of the ones that had it working. It is the opening scene during QoS

Unless you can find the quote this is the only thing I said about that and its exactly what I said to you...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1175778/dune-hd-base-3-0-and-prime-3-0-on-sigma-8642-in-q4-2009/3960#post_19046759

There is not a single movie that causes the Dune to stutter....except Akira with its 14mbps audio track and 18mbps video track and that's only on the slow 53D Lite.

I've had networking errors when I first got my Dunes but that was a Windows issue and once I got my speeds up I was fine.
post #123 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurux View Post

Halfelite, I'm sorry to notice again that you are ever so slightly biased when it comes to Syabas or whatever they are called these days. Let me ask you one simple question and then I will really shut up because I don't want to trash this thread: how was the A400 a progress, 7 months ago, the last time I touched it, compared to A300 or any of the Dune Smart series? The Progress during the A400 launch was terrible It has gotten better with the latest rounds of firmware

Gigabit ethernet - huge issues, it never worked properly, I hear it still doesn't perform as advertised. When it was launched the "performance" was a joke, even streaming 1080p mkv was a problem. Surely someone must have tested it on some home network because it didn't work reliably in any configuration, with any switch, router or NAS. Today I read that, performance issues aside (there is an "app" you download and try profiles hoping that one might work for you), it has to be rebooted every few days because it simply drops connection out of the blue. When's the last time you used network "apps" and profiles for a Dune Smart, when's the last time you had network speed issues with it, when's the last time it dropped connection? Halfelite? Anybody? I myself never used the network profile switcher app, Nor do I get dropped connections, But I do not deny that they dont exist, Some people have them some dont, and I can hit 38MBps on the network going from my NAS to the PCH And just to add original smart series had multiple profiles as well. They were called fast ethernet, and I think the second one was called the experimental option to try to make up for the short comings of the shotty NIC in the 864x series

Bluray 3D iso - not sure it needs any comments at all. There have been constant updates but I understand that at least the Disney titles (some of the few movies worth watching in 3D) still have plenty of problems because of seamless branching. The 3d iso files I tried I did not have issues, But if you read any of my posts I tell anyone if you want 3d go Mede8er

HD Audio - big problem at launch. Unusable. Again, surely someone must have tested it before releasing it because it wasn't working whatever the system. Again same DTS-HD bug was at the launch of the dune BASE 3d so sureley they tested it as well what is your thoughts on that

Dual Core processor - did anybody notice the extra speed? 7 months ago my A400 was actually slower than my TviX 6500, using a 2008 chipset. This one I 100% agree on the flash implementation does not handle the dual core at all how it should And I have complained about it time and time again.

VXP - anyone using it? I doubt it.

7 months on since launch people still complain of random freezes, network problems, unreliable Bluray playback (and I am not sure about HD audio) while we have lost support for the full Bluray experience with menus.

So for the few 3D Bluray films we can now watch we have to put up with a host of problems, most of them features that used to work flawlessly in the previous generation.

Now let me get back to my question: how is A400 a progress? Yes, I hear you, it has potential. Has any of this potential been unleashed in the last 7 months? Have you, Halfelite, who, if I remember well, don't watch any 3D titles, noticed or benefited from this progress in anyway? Do you find this A400, for your particular usage on your particular system, any better than a Dune Smart? Is there any must have feature to compensate for the lack of Bluray menus? I myself Own both a mede8er 600x and the ouya and nixeus and a400 for my downstairs setup, The progress I have noticed so far was the HD audio fix, the 3d iso files I do try I have not had trouble with. What I like about the A400 over any of the other ones is both the Apps, I use tunein,youtube,soundcloud And Might check out the plex app. As for the mede8er I find it a solid player the UI is a little outdated for myself and the way its setup for tv/movies being separate items is a no go and it does not handle http links for files. Does it offer anything over past models, Better jukebox support and better apps, In terms of playback my a400 offered nothing over my c200 or any other player besides 3d support. Until a new codec launches any new players are not going to add any significant playback over past models, The days of getting dts-hd inside mkv working and the options to downmix and output audio are in the past now. In terms if playback older models most often offered a lot more. You had the dune series which could decode HD audio and output it over both hdmi and I think the original models had rca leads for analog audio, You had bluray menus, and drives to play both dvd and bd rom, If anything players have lost more function to gain 3d

And how long now until the potentially great A400 will be old news and a hardware revised A500 will be out? Because we all know the clock is ticking and by the time we come back from our summer holiday it will be about a year since A400 came to the world to make our lives better.
post #124 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Unless you can find the quote this is the only thing I said about that and its exactly what I said to you...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1175778/dune-hd-base-3-0-and-prime-3-0-on-sigma-8642-in-q4-2009/3960#post_19046759

There is not a single movie that causes the Dune to stutter....except Akira with its 14mbps audio track and 18mbps video track and that's only on the slow 53D Lite.

I've had networking errors when I first got my Dunes but that was a Windows issue and once I got my speeds up I was fine.

Im not going to search for 3+ year old posts im just going off memory. But to lose credibility over saying something that lots of people had problems with, And it was not only a doue thing, the orginal A100/110 the orginal wdtv and the dune all had issues with opening scene on QoS now could it have been everyones network was not 100% at getting the full capabilities maybe. Even more so during the times of the first players it was a lot of trial and error. But to say someone loses credibility because you play it fine is ridicules. I could post up videos of my players playing every file. If I come across people that cant play the file should they lose credibility because my player plays them fine.

Also just for my own curiosity isnt the 53D Lite a generation after the original prime? As I seem to recall the 53d has the same chipset as the wdtv 2
post #125 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Also just for my own curiosity isnt the 53D Lite a generation after the original prime? As I seem to recall the 53d has the same chipset as the wdtv 2

The 53D lite was released after the Prime/Base 3.0 but it was their first cheap low power unit. It was a total flop. It has lots of bugs in the bd-lite engine that none of the firmwares seem to fix but for a simple player it works. It choked on Akira with lots of buffer under runs where none of the others players do.
post #126 of 142 Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I think in the end we can all agree we would like to see a DUNE MAX in the end and hope its all that with not a huge price tag on it my only worry is with h265 sitting in the corner will the specs be enough. My current i3 3220 playing big buck bunny 1080p in h265 maxes the cpu out to 80% will drop down to 40% then right back up to 80%. Granted the h265 decoder might not be optimized much. Im sure you all would like to test so here are some links. Link to h265 videos http://www.elecard.com/en/download/videos.html and link to the player to play them http://www.elecard.com/en/technology/researchlab/hevc-player.html
post #127 of 142 Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hell, at this point i would love to see a dune max WITH a huge price point as long as it worked as advetrtised...
:-)
post #128 of 142 Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

hell, at this point i would love to see a dune max WITH a huge price point as long as it worked as advetrtised...
:-)

It is going to have a sizable premium (if it ever comes to be). For the potential asking price though it definitely means that it better be stable/work as advertised right OOTB

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #129 of 142 Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
Halfelite, sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week.

Anyway I did it, I spent another day of my life testing the A400 again this weekend. And the same annoying things happened again. I let it update itself a couple of times, updated the NMJ as well. I tried again to install a small 80GB Intel SSD but the player would freeze again while formatting it. I tried several times, I formatted the SSD on my MAC several times, I tried after formatting it to NTFS and FAT, no luck. The A400 froze each time at 5-6%. Fine. I used again a SD card instead, formatted it, tried to install the apps over the internet - another freeze. After a couple of freezes and reboots it finally downloaded and installed everything. Then I selected the Movies folder on my QNAP NAS, permissions, password etc. Then I tried to build the wall - of course another error because my folder wasn't "root". By this time I was already fed up, after spending over two hours troubleshooting and looking whether there were any new solutions to the old problems. Eventually I managed to get a reasonably workable player, including the jukebox (but not as fast and reliable as Dune at things like FF, jump to a chapter etc). Then, without wasting any further time, I tried to play one of my most challenging films before - Brave, 3D iso. And of course, every 10 seconds or so the wheel would spin and spin and spin some more. I tried various other 2D films, all OK. I tried for instance Alice In Wonderland 3D iso, playable. The Hobbit iso however wouldn't even start in 3D. And I could notice, with all of my films, in all formats, micro-stutter - the video is certainly not as fluid as it was on my Dune.

Then I installed the network app. I tried profile 6, Brave became completely unwatchable, worse than before. Profile 3, suggested by someone else, better than without the app but still unwatchable.

And I gave up again. I will say that in my opinion, with all the VXP options turned off, A400 has better image quality than Dune but the audio quality of the digital output (I use a very decent Naim stereo setup, I am not into multichannel) is lacking compared to Dune. In fact it's not even comparable, whatever combination of settings I tried I could not match Dune's audio digital output for dynamics, detail, soundstage etc (DRC off).

I did not try the new forum build however, the one that apparently improves the 3D performance significantly because I read about various new bugs and I wasted enough time and energy already. Dune Smart is still my player of choice for anything but 3D. For 3D A400 is usable to some extent, with some of my films, at the expense of poor sound quality.
post #130 of 142 Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurux View Post

Halfelite, sorry for the late reply, I had a busy week.

Anyway I did it, I spent another day of my life testing the A400 again this weekend. And the same annoying things happened again. I let it update itself a couple of times, updated the NMJ as well. I tried again to install a small 80GB Intel SSD but the player would freeze again while formatting it. I tried several times, I formatted the SSD on my MAC several times, I tried after formatting it to NTFS and FAT, no luck. The A400 froze each time at 5-6%. Fine. I used again a SD card instead, formatted it, tried to install the apps over the internet - another freeze. After a couple of freezes and reboots it finally downloaded and installed everything. Then I selected the Movies folder on my QNAP NAS, permissions, password etc. Then I tried to build the wall - of course another error because my folder wasn't "root". By this time I was already fed up, after spending over two hours troubleshooting and looking whether there were any new solutions to the old problems. Eventually I managed to get a reasonably workable player, including the jukebox (but not as fast and reliable as Dune at things like FF, jump to a chapter etc). Then, without wasting any further time, I tried to play one of my most challenging films before - Brave, 3D iso. And of course, every 10 seconds or so the wheel would spin and spin and spin some more. I tried various other 2D films, all OK. I tried for instance Alice In Wonderland 3D iso, playable. The Hobbit iso however wouldn't even start in 3D. And I could notice, with all of my films, in all formats, micro-stutter - the video is certainly not as fluid as it was on my Dune.

Then I installed the network app. I tried profile 6, Brave became completely unwatchable, worse than before. Profile 3, suggested by someone else, better than without the app but still unwatchable.

And I gave up again. I will say that in my opinion, with all the VXP options turned off, A400 has better image quality than Dune but the audio quality of the digital output (I use a very decent Naim stereo setup, I am not into multichannel) is lacking compared to Dune. In fact it's not even comparable, whatever combination of settings I tried I could not match Dune's audio digital output for dynamics, detail, soundstage etc (DRC off).

I did not try the new forum build however, the one that apparently improves the 3D performance significantly because I read about various new bugs and I wasted enough time and energy already. Dune Smart is still my player of choice for anything but 3D. For 3D A400 is usable to some extent, with some of my films, at the expense of poor sound quality.

See this is the wierd part The hobbit 3d is really the only 3d movie That I ever really watched all the way through and I had no issues playing it what so ever. Even on the public release as I watched it when it first came out So this is where it becomes strange, Why can i stream the hobbit 3d 100% fine yet you cant even watch it, If my A400 plays it then your A400 should also be able to play it. . As for ssd and nmt Apps I usually dont bother as I stream everything. And by digital output I assume you mean over optical or spidf? if so then you are correct If I remember right Dune paid for multi channel Decode to PCM, PCH only pays for 2 channel downmix unless its AAC or WMV. So that is the issue with your sound. I will test Brave 3d again if I remember there was a strange trick to it like if you switch audio tracks back and fourth it would play smooth the rest of the way on public release I will test on the forum release. T
post #131 of 142 Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 646
The current Forum firmware for the A400 has made excellent progress. Disney 3D BD ISOs play over the network using SMB now. As well as other 3D BD ISOs. If this firmware was out when the A400 was first released people would not have been complaining. Well complaining less anyway. There is always something for someone to complain about no matter how good a product is.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #132 of 142 Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any Status update on the Dune Max HD 3D?
post #133 of 142 Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
dead

too expensive to be viable.
post #134 of 142 Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

dead

too expensive to be viable.

I wouldn't say dead as my understanding they still want to make it happen.

Now whether it not it will be cost effective will be a whole other issue.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #135 of 142 Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
that's what i heard too (same source may be), too expensive to be sold "as is", dune went back to drawing board to find out a cheaper solution.
post #136 of 142 Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
dead, they are not even on IFA this year, last year it was also a joke, in my eyes they are moving out of mediaplayer business
post #137 of 142 Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The current Forum firmware for the A400 has made excellent progress. Disney 3D BD ISOs play over the network using SMB now. As well as other 3D BD ISOs. If this firmware was out when the A400 was first released people would not have been complaining. Well complaining less anyway. There is always something for someone to complain about no matter how good a product is.

Can the A400 handle forced subtitles with ISOs?
post #138 of 142 Old 10-13-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

no with bdlite its pretty much impossible to guess which track is a forced track. on normal iso files all that is handled in the vm by the menu lanauge/audio language selections
post #139 of 142 Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Can the A400 handle forced subtitles with ISOs?

None of this generation of players can do forced subs in ISO.

Looky here!
post #140 of 142 Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Yeah, I keep thinking there's going to be an exception, but I guess there isn't one. I'll stick with the Oppo 93 for now. Just really wish I could have a jukebox/better UI ...
post #141 of 142 Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 AM

Liked: 10
In a german hifi forum wrote somebody a mail to the Europe-Service in netherlands.

Here's the answer:

"Thank you for your question.

The MAX 3D player was announced and showed at some exhibitions last year as prototype.

But unfortunately the final product never made it to the production line due to compatibility issues with the newest Blu-ray films security.

So Dune is not producing players anymore with internal Blu-ray drive.

Kind regards,

Dune Support Team
Simon"
post #142 of 142 Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
And there goes that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List