Bizarre filename error with Windows 7 and WDLiveTV (and iPad media app) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a server that runs windows media centre, and all the filenames on the server are correct. When I connect to the server through WDTVLive or something like Fusion Stream on the iPad, some of the filenames are wrong... but I can't find out why, or how to fix it.

The files that are showing up wrong, are ones that were added to the server, and then renamed. Does media centre keep a cache of all the old filenames, and uses them when sending the file list out to DLNA devices over the network?

You can see in the image, the filenames in three different locations. Both of the networked devices, show the wrong filenames. If I connect to the media server from another PC, the filenames are correct. I am really confused how different devices can see different filenames from the same location.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The files play without any errors, they're just annoyingly named wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Obviously no suggestions... but as it happens, I have fixed the problem, but not solved the problem.

Removing the folder from media centre, moving it, and then re-adding it after a restart seemed to fix the filename problem... but it doesn't help me determine why the problem happened, and how to stop it happening again.

I can only presume that media centre caches the location, and as long as the file stays in the same place, it continues to use the cached info, instead of updating itself with the new name. Pretty lame if that's the case.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page