Help understanding choppy stream from my NAS to iPad to TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a bit ignorant on this subject so please educate me.

I have a Buffalo NAS where I keep my movie files. I stream the movies to my iPad 3 and then Airplay push them to my Pioneer HDTV (720P) via Apple TV 2. I have the latest Airport Extreme for my router.

The NAS is in an adjacent room about 20 feet away from the TV room (which has the connected Apple TV and iPad).

In many cases the video quality is excellent. But for other movie files it is choppy and unviewable. Last night, I took a movie that was unviewable on the iPad and wirelessly watched it on my laptop without any issues. Some details on the movie file: 3.5 GB 720P blue ray MKV. Codec H264 MPEG-4 AVC. Resolution 1280x536. Frame rate 23.976215

And recognizing that my iPad and Laptop have different connection rates, here are the details I pulled from the Airport Extreme on these clients:

Device Rate Signal

iPad 52 b/g/n -67
Laptop 240 a/n -71
Apple TV 65 a/n -64

So why do some movie files play flawlessly off the iPad to TV and others don't? In my layman's terms, is it related to the 3.5 GB MKV file....ie, am I trying to play a movie too rich with info and my bandwidth can't handle it? Is my only (and simplest) solution to focus on the file/format?

Thanks!

Vlad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Related question, how are you streaming from the NAS to the iPad? Thanks.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
1) An AppleTV cannot play mkv files so something else is going on in the background, or you've hacked the AppleTV.

2) Wireless is not uniform your laptop has a stronger, better performing wireless network card then your AppleTV does.

The AppleTV will only accept mp4/m4v videos files via Airplay, so what that means is you must have all your media be in that format and use a DLNA controller on your iOS device (Dixim, Skifta, Media Link Player) that uses the stock iOS media player, set your Airplay output as the AppleTV and when you play the files they will get sent to the AppleTV.

On Windows you can use MKV2MP4 to repackage video into m4v files, on OSX you need IVI Pro or Subler I think.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I stream from the NAS to iPad using the apps GoodPlayer or 8player to play the MKV files. With MKV files, I'm using Airplay Mirroring.

Is the suggestion that the performance an issue with the Apple TV, and nothing to do with the files, despite the fact that many movie files play flawlessly?

Vlad
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page