Which Dune player to buy or possibly another media player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been researching the Dune players a bit.
Ive always had XBMC but im tired of dealing with codecs, better video cards for output etc.

For me, I simply want it to play MKV files with Full DTS-MA, DTS-HD audio support. Basically any of the newest audio formats.
I will not likely be playing any actual blurays/DVD's. Just streaming from a NAS I have yet to buy.

Is the Max HD overkill?

I have a good AVR setup with Denon 4520CI and new JVC RS46 projector and Screen Innovations Zero Edge smile.gif

Now I just need my media streamer.

Is there any advantage for me in getting the Max HD or just get the smart ones?

I want to it to play HD Audio in a 7.1 setup.

I also dont really care about the movie menus, just want to simply select the movie with some fanart/coverart and have it play.

3D i doubt ill really care about either.

Money isnt an issue but I just dont want to get the Max HD if its doing way more then I need it to.

If someone else has a better idea for my needs instead of dune, pass it along. I also did hear about a new 3D product for Dune but i dont want to wait until summer and if 3D is the only new feature, i dont care.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Doesn't the latest version of XBMC play virtually every format including HD audio?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Doesn't the latest version of XBMC play virtually every format including HD audio?

I havent gotten a version lately but I would still need the codecs as the way I have mine setup, i have a touch screen monitor with XBMC program on it that throws the movie onto the TV screen using Windows Media home cinema player and not the XBMC player so there is other codecs involved, and I also dont know if my current audio output suports HD either as its an older Creative Sound X-Fi

My new setup could have XBMC directly I guess.

I currently have the XBMC setup upstairs and i am building a Home Theater downstairs so i really need a new setup anyways.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Get a Intel NUC from Newegg and put XBMC Frodo RC3. I see no reason why your using external media players if you run XBMC, seems kinda pointless to me. With Frodo RC3 you won't find a file that won't play. Also the Intel NUC is VERY small, and powerful enough to play 120mbit videos. It can do Bitstreaming of HD audio and probably do anything you'll ever want it to do.

I love mine with XBMC Frodo. If the new Dune that runs XBMC is real though i'll get one of those just because I want a Dune and they say it will do Bluray Menus
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

Get a Intel NUC from Newegg and put XBMC Frodo RC3. I see no reason why your using external media players if you run XBMC, seems kinda pointless to me. With Frodo RC3 you won't find a file that won't play. Also the Intel NUC is VERY small, and powerful enough to play 120mbit videos. It can do Bitstreaming of HD audio and probably do anything you'll ever want it to do.

I love mine with XBMC Frodo. If the new Dune that runs XBMC is real though i'll get one of those just because I want a Dune and they say it will do Bluray Menus

The idea was to get rid of XBMC all together, so that was the reason of getting the external player. Cheaper to run and just seems to be easier.
I can never get HD audio to play correctly with the correct codecs and all. Audio sometimes gets off a bit randomly, just stuff like that.

Ill have to try and new versions of XBMC and use the actual XBMC player once i guess to see if everything works correctly.
Is there any setup with the new XBMC to get HD audio to work correctly or it just works.

anyone still wanting to answer the external player question is welcome to do so. Im still leaning towards that for the new basement home theater
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dune with xbmc is probably a summertime thing.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You really, really should try XBMC 12.0 RC3. It shouldn't suffer from any of the problems you're talking about. It supports HD audio out of the box (there are a couple exceptions like ATI cards on linux and bistreaming on Macs). You shouldn't need an external player.

If you really just want a media player, the favorites around here seem to be Dunes. The Dune HD Smart series is a good option. The Mede8er, Popcorn Hour, and WD Live boxes are also popular.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by becker800 View Post

The idea was to get rid of XBMC all together, so that was the reason of getting the external player. Cheaper to run and just seems to be easier.
I can never get HD audio to play correctly with the correct codecs and all. Audio sometimes gets off a bit randomly, just stuff like that.

Ill have to try and new versions of XBMC and use the actual XBMC player once i guess to see if everything works correctly.
Is there any setup with the new XBMC to get HD audio to work correctly or it just works.

anyone still wanting to answer the external player question is welcome to do so. Im still leaning towards that for the new basement home theater

By HD audio do you mean the DTS-MA and Tru-HD from Blu-ray movies or do you mean HD Audio from DSD and PCM files at 88.2khz 24/bit and higher?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

By HD audio do you mean the DTS-MA and Tru-HD from Blu-ray movies or do you mean HD Audio from DSD and PCM files at 88.2khz 24/bit and higher?

If the file contains a DTS-MA or TrueHD track, XBMC should bistream it. For instance, I rip all my blu-rays to mkv's using makemkv. XBMC bistreams the HD audio track to my receiver. works perfectly. I'm not really sure what you mean by DSD and PCM files.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

3d MKV mvc?

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.