Media player that can stream from wireless synology server? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a media player that I can stream content from my synology server wirelessly? What do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWazowski View Post

Is there a media player that I can stream content from my synology server wirelessly? What do you recommend?

Roku with the Plex client.

Looky here!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm not sure what your media library consists of, but be sure to check the Plex forum (Roku client subforum on there) as there is currently an issue with MKV files and certain audio streams.

There are plenty of threads about it on there so you can see if it'll work for you or not.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM

I just bought a synology 412+ because of its ability to play nice with plex. Here is a list of confirmed synology NAS devices that will work with plex.

http://www.synology.com/support/news.php?lang=enu&news_id=340
post #5 of 13 Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 AM

You don't need a external media server to stream content from Synology NAS.

I have just bought a DS213 and stream all my movies directly from my TV using DLNA. Synology has his own Media Server that for me its perfect.

Synology Media Server

A external media server is useful instead if you need transcoding (or content tagging), but Synology NAS can also do it with some limitations (only Atom based models such as DS412+).

TV Samsung UE46D7000
BD Player Samsung BD-C5900
Camcorder Sony CX130E
NAS media Synology DS213 4TB
Video editor Cyberlink PowerDirector 12
Audio editor Acoustica Mixcraft 6
post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWazowski View Post

Depends on how you want to do it. You can run Plex on the Synology. You then need a Plex client. A Roku will work most of the time, a Sony GTV box will work all the time ( as will a PC or Mac) and an LG TV will also work most of the time. The issue is how powerful a Synology do you have. If it is ARM based then you don't want it transcoding and so that rules out the Roku. The Sony will play the files as though they are local. You have Direct Play/ Stream. You want to be able to do that with your media. I have all the Plex clients I mentioned. Other than a PC or Mac the Sony has been by far the one that just played everything. I have the Synology 1512+ and my Roku's struggle at times if I use the Synology Plex Media Server. You can always use DLNA which increases the number of media players that will work. My A400 works great that way with Plex acting as the DLNA server.

philip
post #7 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 PM

I use a Dune Smart D1 with the wireless N dongle with my DS1812+ (11TB of storage)

This streams MP4 files fine.

But to stream blu ray iso's I am going to get a 802.11ac Linksys Cisco Wumc710 bridge.

I already have a Netgear 802.11ac wifi router so hopefully his will work with Blu ray rips.

I also have a Samsung smart TV and the new Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition, (this has 802.11ac wifi)

using DS video I use the AllShare feature on the tablet, which transfers the video directly to my TV.

The 1080p Mp4 files seem to work using this method as well, but you need a Samsung smart TV and a Samsung smartphone or tablet with android.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 AM

Ok.......I bit the bullet and purchased a netgear nighthawk r7000.....set it up as a 801.11ac bridge on the 5ghz band. Today I watched an uncompressed bluray iso image (movie only) of the dark knight rises. This had the full dts hd audio track and it didnt skip once! My other router (R6300) is at least 25 feet away and behind 2 walls and a door......my whole setup may have taken 3 years and $3000 of my hard earned cash but its worth every cent spent...i'm extremely happy!.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Hi,

Am new here hope this is the right place to ask.

I am looking to stream media from a synology nas (connected to a N66u router), to a projector.

Now I know I need some middle man and since my projector is ceiling mounted I dont want any wires going down to a pc or something like that.

I was hoping that I could use a media player (I was looking at the wd media live) to connect and mount on the ceiling with the projector.

Also if this is possible how would I connect a sound sytem to it?

thanks.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 06:11 AM

Liked: 20
Unless your projector has wireless capabilities then no, you will need some kind of HDMI connection from your projector to either a surround sound receiver or media player.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM

Yeah thanks was thinking of the wd media live as the media player connected to the projector streaming wireless from the nas drive. The problem is sound so will have to connect a sound receiver to the media player..
Will be projector, media player, and sound transmitter all attached to each other ceiling mounted.
Problem is that there might be a delay so that audio and sound will be out of sync

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 20
The way it should go is:

Projector > Receiver via HDMI
WDTV > Receiver via HDMI

There should be no delays if you do everything over HDMI.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM

I think I understand.
Sound system and receiver hard wired into the wdtv.
Projector (on ceiling) with receiver plugged into it.

So nas hard wired into router. Stream wireless to wdtv and then streamed wireless again from their to projector?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku Streaming Player , Synology Ds412 High Performance Easy To Manage 4 Bay All In 1 Nas Server For Smb Users , Synology Ds213 Diskstation Simple Set Up Easy Efficiency
Gear in this thread - Ds213 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page