Newbe, NAS and Streaming advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I joined AVS to learn about home theater especially Streaming, NAS and Networking. I couldn't find a "welcome" forum so I am posting in this forum being it is the one I am most interested in. A little bit about me. I am a GIS/Graphic Tech for Municipal government so I do have extensive computer experience. I have a rudimentary knowledge of networking.

I have been playing with a simple way to store my videos and music on the network I have and it seems to work fairly well. I just want more.

Here is my setup.
Cox internet
Linksys Router EA6500
two external HDD attached to USB ports on router (my storage)

7 windows computers from desktops to laptops. Got a low end Dell for Christmas with WIN 8 just to learn it
One Mac laptop. Got this to replace the obsolete by design Imac I am nott really a mac man but I can use it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Kindle Fire 8.5
Nook Color

Samsung Blueray HT for my mancave which started me in all this
Samsun Blueray for Front room attached to 50" LG Plasma not a smart TV way too old but it still works

Really old Xbox, Older hard line Xbox and new Xbox 360 wireless

3 Sony Blue Ray Players

Directv HD

Sony HDD Camcorder.

Slingbox

I am still reading the forums and have learned a lot I just need some expertise from the members on what equipment to set up a true NAS. One thread was Synology. Qnas etc. Another question is about Media Servers. I have been playing with Serviio, XBMC. I just downloaded PLEX. Whice one works the best. I also have Anydvd, DFab and other software for "archival purposes only" of videos. I would like to know how to set a library up to see the video cover/logo and the movie info i.e run time. actors etc. Right now when I access the video section of my setup it just has the name of the video that I set up under folders by genre.

I think I have rambled on enough. I am still learning so please point me in the right direction. I am recovering from the flu so I have some time on my hands. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have found Plex to be the easiest to use server. A lot of people swear by XBOX Media center but I can't make it do what I want. Plex
has an uncanny ability to tag your files. I love it.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk HD
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page