Dune Smart D1 + The Avengers BluRay ISO => Audio Dropout? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

I was hoping someone might help me figure out where I've gone wrong! smile.gif I'm converting my physical bluray discs to ISOs. I've just added a 2T external USB drive to my windows box to store the ISOs. I'm sharing that via samba to my Dune Smart HD D1 over a Gig-E network. (Though, looks like the D1 only has 10/100 networking) I just got my first ISO ripped last night, The Avengers (non 3D). Once I navigated the menus (The reason I got the Dune! Full BluRay Menu support smile.gif and started the movie, I only watched the first minute or so, but I noticed several times the audio would drop out! It was late, so decided to end on that defeated note.

I was wondering if this is a limitation of the D1's 10/100 networking? Or samba? or..? I'm hoping I can get this to work, as I really like yaDIS.

Thanks for your time!
-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Do you have the latest firmware ?

I also have the avenger ripped as movie only with dvdfab and didn't have any problem with it.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
The Avengers has 7.1 audio does it not? I've not had any issues with playing 7.1 here, but its possible this is where the trouble lies for the OP.
I'd watch a few titles with 5.1 audio before tearing my hair out over this. Chances are fair that the issue is in the AVR. Any bandwidth issue in the network would present itself as pauses more likely than as audio dropouts. Can't you also get a report from the Dune on the number of buffer under-runs from a file? Seems like I saw that once but I don't remember how I got it.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Do you have the latest firmware ?

Yeah, I've got the latest firmware. = )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The Avengers has 7.1 audio does it not? I've not had any issues with playing 7.1 here, but its possible this is where the trouble lies for the OP.
I'd watch a few titles with 5.1 audio before tearing my hair out over this. Chances are fair that the issue is in the AVR. Any bandwidth issue in the network would present itself as pauses more likely than as audio dropouts. Can't you also get a report from the Dune on the number of buffer under-runs from a file? Seems like I saw that once but I don't remember how I got it.

Great Qs! I'll try this evening and get back to you.

Thanks!
-Nick
post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Drop outs with 7.1 audio was a bug a few months ago that was corrected in a firmware early last year (that's the reason why I asked if you have the last one).
post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Liked: 17
played Avengers (on attached local hard drive) numerous times. No drop outs on B1, H1, or Dune Duo...
Hell, my neotv 550 played it fine as well..
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I started playing around with the audio options on the D1. Changing from 7.1 to 5.1. PCM vs straight audio and uhh. the dynamic range on. It seems to have lessened the dropouts, but even on movies like The Losers, I experienced like a 1/2 sec audio drop out (While the video continues fine), while watching a 5 minute clip. I'm gonna continue to experiment, trying to attach the USB drive directly on the D1, playing from the original disc, etc.. and report early next week.

Thanks Guys!
-Nick
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
That's sounding more like an HDMI handshake. Start by replacing the HDMI cable from the player to AVR, and also from the AVR to TV. Marginal HDMI cables can cause exactly such an issue.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, life happened!

So I hooked the drive up directly to the Dune, and it played just fine. And then I attached it to a different computer and shared it via SMB with apparently also no problems. So it must have been something with the first computer that was sharing via SMB. I'll ultimately be moving to unRAID & NFS, so I hope that'd be fine as well.

Thanks so much for the help!
-Nick
post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I've had issues with audio drop outs with movies that have Dolby True HD, but not all of them. I rip my BD movies with ClownBD as folder structure main movie only with HD and AC3 audio. So, if I've got any issues with HD audio, I switch to the AC3 track. I use an UnRaid server to store my media and only use SMB.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page