What do I need with my MED1000X3D to get started? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I have decided that I am going with the MED1000X3D for its 3D capabilities. What else do I need to buy to get started. Whould I purchase the hard drive that comes with it or buy a separate hard drive? My plans are to rip from my blurays and store them so they are all accessible through the Mede8er. Any help would be appreciated since I am new to this and I have no idea how this process works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MakeMKV free to rip the blu rays, most hard drives will do fine, New Egg has good deals 2tb or 3tb. Make sure you are hardline network, wireless will not work for BD.
If you are planning on putting the rips on the HDD then you are fine, if not you will need to research networking a little, file shares, security access etc.
The is also potential of windows shares (SMB) not working 100% on high bitrate content (3D and some non 3D in my case) If you have that issue you need to use NFS shares and then I have not had issues on any content.
I you are not sure what I am talking about I would suggest just putting everything on the HDD you buy. If you want to really go down the rabbit hole, I would build a unraid server , they are awesome!!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
BD / 3D movies will take a lot of space. I wouldn't waste money to put an internal drive. I would suggest a NAS, Server or external multiple drive enclosure for storage. As far a ripping the movies, I don't do 3D so I can't really comment on that.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the replies, it is starting to look like this is far beyond what I know. Everything sounds like chinese to me. Too bad there isn't someone to sit down with and explain and walk me through everything. This whole thing started because my blu-ray player is going out and I was set on buying the Oppo BDP-103, but then I thought for not much more I could get set up to stream to my theater and other rooms in the house. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do.