Media player suggestions needed for my setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I currently own a PCH200 running YAMJ in the main theater room.. I have a media library on a synology NAS, consisting of bluray and DVD rips in mkv format. It would be nice to have another media player set up in another room, so we can access all of this media from there. I've had the PCH for a couple years and haven't kept up with the newer models since then. At the time I purchased it was around $200, but would like to get something cheaper for another room since its not the primary movie watching room and doesn't have surround setup etc.

Some of my concerns are:

1. My media, artwork, nfo files, etc are currently organized for compatibility with a PCH/YAMJ. Is there another media player out there that would play nice with this? Or am I crazy to not go with another PCH? Maintaining the library and artwork is tedious to keep up with so it would be important that I wouldn't have to do much or anything to integrate a new player.

2. I've read up on the WD Live SMP which seems like a good bargain at under $100, but noticed it doesn't handle DTS HD sound. Not a huge deal as there is no sound system in the room this is going in, but limits me if I want it in the future. Is there something around the same price that goes a step further?

3. I store my jukebox files and index.htm on the network, rather than locally on the PCH. So, I'm assuming if I added another PCH to my setup that it would acces this just fine and not have any hiccups with a 2nd PCH in the system. Can someone verify this?

4. Ease of use. This device would be in our living room and run by my wife and mother in law, neither of which are tech savvy.

Thanks in advance for any advice!