Getting the best from 5.1 with network media player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

New to the forum so thought I would kick off with a problem I have at present and hopefully someone can help me out here?

I have a collection of 1080p and 720p Blu-ray RIP's that supposedly have 5.1 content, I'm looking for a device that will connect to my Denon AV and push this 5.1. At present I'm using an ATV2 that I flashed with Firecore, problem is I don't seem to be getting the results I wanted. For starters I didn't realize that the device only supported max resolution of 720p so not sure how this works If I am viewing 1080p movies? Also there are a lot of threads on the internet complaining about the ATV and 5.1.

BTW I tend to use XBMC with my ATV2 and also make use of the US Netflix with an Uno Telly account.

I was thinking of re connecting my media PC I built (not connected at present) that was disconnected before I upgraded my TV and added an AV AMP. Will this give me any advantage over the ATV2, ie; I have higher resolution by using PC but cant work out how I will get the sound to the AV as I don't think my graphics card will pass the 5.1 down the HDMI. I cant use the optical out from my sound card as the Denon AV has no Optical in option.

Do I ditch the ATV2 and Media PC for something else or can I work with what I have at present.

AV AMP I have is a Denon AVR2113

Many thanks, Xray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Option one, buy a video card that supports what you want. Option 2, but a media player that supports what you want. There are many media players out there that support HD video / audio. Such as, Dune, PCH, Mede8er, etc.

Apple TV 2 specifications:

Video formats
H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Audio formats supported
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page