Looking for streamer that can be controlled by ipad and does not need tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a music only streamer and don't want to use a TV and I want to control it with an ipad. I am looking to stream both mps3 stored on a network drive and from a spotify account.

basically in the room I want a streaming device, hooked to a receiver which is hooked to two speakers. Since there is no TV I need all the remote controls to be done from an ipad and I need to see what I am doing. Streaming device will be connected to network via ethernet.

So it seems that Apple TV can sort of do what I want. I can set up itunes on a central PC, add my network storage drive to the itunes library and then hook into that from within the apple TV. I can use remote app on ipad and control my music selection.

But it seems like in order to do spotify I am going to have to resort to airplay. Just install spotify on my ipad and then I will have to stream it to apple TV. Of course the problem with this is that I am relying on wifi when using spotify.

So are there any devices that will not use wifi for the actual music signal that can play both network music files and spotify content and that can be controlled from an ipad.

I looked at WD TV but it seems that I can't control it and see what I am doing
without a TV?

I looked at raspberyy pi and read that they have despotify for spotify but that website seems to be down. I saw a video of the XBMC controls and it looked great for local media.

I have looked into boxee box but can't see how to remote control it from ipad with no tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM

You're getting close. What you're looking for is a simple Apple AIrport Express. As long as you have a powered set of speakers or AV Receiver these things work like a charm. Think Apple TV but without the need for the TV. Everything else sets up the same. You would run iTunes on a central PC, then connect to it using the Apple Remote App on your iPad, iPhone or iPod, use the Remote app to browse through your library then stream it over wifi to your Airport Express. You can add more than one too. I currently have two of them and when streaming from my itunes I can choose to have the music play from either, neither or both Airports. They are a breeze to set up and you can usually find good deals on refurbished ones through Apple or Mac Store.....
Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM

You can also stream audio from most other Apple Apps. I use Pandora, YouTube and others and they can all be streamed straight from the iPad to the speakers. I'm confident that Spotify would be no different.

You are still using WIfi to pull it in to your iPad, but I'm not sure of any other way to do it.