dune hd base 3d vrs med1000x3d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at both of these media players so i can watch blu-ray movies and have 3d capabilities. With all of the cinavia protection stuff going on i want a media player to play my collection.
I have an argosy hvt335 which does well but looking to move on. Read about the med 1000x3d, liked what i was reading. Looking for pro,s and con's on both of these units.
I know someone has had one or the other and they can tell me what is good or bad. Dune seems to be high on price but sometimes you get what you pay for. Micca ep950 looks
good but also up there on price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
dune is being shipped and its in early stage, no one really no whats is capable to do.

i would say go with mede8er over dune because of:

cheaper price
solid firmware
forum support
and......soon new funcionalities, that will pleased a lot mede8er users, i cant say much more, but its like....it will do everything whats dune does and + the 3D mvc support + support for ******* ******* in mkv files

good luck

Projector Mitsubishi HC5

Projector Optoma hd300x 

Av receiver Onkyo TX-NR 818

Oppo 103D

Media player Med1000x3D

KEN KREISEL DXD-808 

Q7000 5.1

post #3 of 26 Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 268
If you can wait then do so, Dune has an excellent reputation on the forums, if you ahve to buy now then I would probably go with the Mede8er as it has had time to become stable and has great support......Persoanlly I would wait to see what the Dune offers when more people get it...
post #4 of 26 Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

If you can wait then do so, Dune has an excellent reputation on the forums, if you ahve to buy now then I would probably go with the Mede8er as it has had time to become stable and has great support......Persoanlly I would wait to see what the Dune offers when more people get it...

I agree and wait
the reviews I have seen so far are very promising
Dunes have always been rock solid and have a great reputation

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #5 of 26 Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I second with the waiting option. Unless you really want a media player right away, I would suggest the Mede8er.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6 of 26 Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I will try to give my thoughts soon enough since i won a Mede8er 100X3D and just had the Dune TV303d arrive. Honestly, it may come down to jukebox preference. Also, if ScottJ's patch works for forced subs (at least in mkvs) that could be a big plus for Dune

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #7 of 26 Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Hello

I just bought a week ago Base 3D (in Romania) and In can say I am satisfied. I do not know Meder, so I can not make any comparision.There are only some small issues with Dune. In the manual it is wrote that there is a torernt client in the menu, but I could not t find on it. The people from Dune gave me a file with transmission (torrent client) which is OK (I open the browser, write the address of the dune, the URL address of the torrent and then it begin downloading, even I shut down the pc.). Other problem was with divx (DivX5?), but after I installed a file (received also from the support team, a file called dune_service_enable_divx.dsf ) dissapeared all problems. Let say, in 60-70 video files (dvd, mkv, xvid, divx, avi) I cannot play only one. The playback is smooth. But, when I play mov. files I cannot hear the sound (file recorded with a Canon camera). Its my second player (after a AC Ryan DVR HD) and I will give 9 points from 10.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorucireasa View Post

Hello

I just bought a week ago Base 3D (in Romania) and In can say I am satisfied. I do not know Meder, so I can not make any comparision.There are only some small issues with Dune. In the manual it is wrote that there is a torernt client in the menu, but I could not t find on it. The people from Dune gave me a file with transmission (torrent client) which is OK (I open the browser, write the address of the dune, the URL address of the torrent and then it begin downloading, even I shut down the pc.). Other problem was with divx (DivX5?), but after I installed a file (received also from the support team, a file called dune_service_enable_divx.dsf ) dissapeared all problems. Let say, in 60-70 video files (dvd, mkv, xvid, divx, avi) I cannot play only one. The playback is smooth. But, when I play mov. files I cannot hear the sound (file recorded with a Canon camera). Its my second player (after a AC Ryan DVR HD) and I will give 9 points from 10.

Can you comment on the following:

Interface speed?
Forced subtitles in MKV files. I can provide samples to test.
3D MVC MKV playback. I can provide samples as well.

Thanks!

Looky here!
post #9 of 26 Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Can you comment on the following:

Interface speed?
Forced subtitles in MKV files. I can provide samples to test.
3D MVC MKV playback. I can provide samples as well.

Thanks!

You can check my reviews of the 1000X3D and tv303d (essentially same as base3d). Couple notes :

Forced sub in mkv- mede8er no / dune yes with patch

Mvc mkv- mede8er yes / dune no (they are looking to add)

Truedhd downmix in mkv- mede8er yes / dune no

Cheers,
Damian

post #10 of 26 Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Her e is my TV303D review:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2013/02/07/review-dune-hd-tv303d/

and Mede8er 1000X3D review"

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2012/10/24/review-mede8er-med1000x3d/

Cheers,
Damian

post #11 of 26 Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

You can check my reviews of the 1000X3D and tv303d (essentially same as base3d). Couple notes :

Forced sub in mkv- mede8er no / dune yes with patch

Mvc mkv- mede8er yes / dune no (they are looking to add)

Truedhd downmix in mkv- mede8er yes / dune no

I've read your reviews. Quality work as always. I just didn't connect the tv303d and the dune base 3d.

A few questions:

MVC MKV - this won't matter if the BR is in ISO format correct?

TrueHD Downmix - I decode with my receiver - so this shouldn't be an issue either correct?

The Zapitti box is available - since it's the same base - would the Zapitti box most likely have the same issues as the Dune?

Looky here!
post #12 of 26 Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I've read your reviews. Quality work as always. I just didn't connect the tv303d and the dune base 3d.

A few questions:

MVC MKV - this won't matter if the BR is in ISO format correct?

TrueHD Downmix - I decode with my receiver - so this shouldn't be an issue either correct?

The Zapitti box is available - since it's the same base - would the Zapitti box most likely have the same issues as the Dune?

MVC MKV only matters if you use mkvs. If you still with BR folder/ISO rips it doesn't matter

Decoding with your receiver for a TrueHD mkv is fine. It would be where you try to have the Dune decode the TrueHD track (i.e. when connected directly to a TV) that you would get no sound.

Zappiti player is the same as the Base3D, so any issues would be identical.

Cheers,
Damian

post #13 of 26 Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MVC MKV only matters if you use mkvs. If you still with BR folder/ISO rips it doesn't matter

Decoding with your receiver for a TrueHD mkv is fine. It would be where you try to have the Dune decode the TrueHD track (i.e. when connected directly to a TV) that you would get no sound.

Zappiti player is the same as the Base3D, so any issues would be identical.

Thanks!

Looky here!
post #14 of 26 Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
It looks like neither the Dune or the Mede8er can do forced subs in BR Folder structure, correct?
post #15 of 26 Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

It looks like neither the Dune or the Mede8er can do forced subs in BR Folder structure, correct?

No player that uses BD Lite can do forced subs in BR folder structure currently (Mede8er, Dune, PCH, etc...). Best hope appears to be proper support for mvc mkv (which at least the sigma players support forced subtitles in mkvs)

Cheers,
Damian

post #16 of 26 Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

No player that uses BD Lite can do forced subs in BR folder structure currently (Mede8er, Dune, PCH, etc...). Best hope appears to be proper support for mvc mkv (which at least the sigma players support forced subtitles in mkvs)

dbone, what do you use to create 3D BD ISOs? Are you using Clown BD? I haven't used Clown in ages and I don't even know if it supports 3D but since clown can create a separate track for forced subs could one not conceivably just get rid of the reamining subtitle tracks and set subtitles in the player to on? Clown already takes care of seamless branching so in effect could this not address the limitations of bd-lite players?
post #17 of 26 Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

dbone, what do you use to create 3D BD ISOs? Are you using Clown BD? I haven't used Clown in ages and I don't even know if it supports 3D but since clown can create a separate track for forced subs could one not conceivably just get rid of the reamining subtitle tracks and set subtitles in the player to on? Clown already takes care of seamless branching so in effect could this not address the limitations of bd-lite players?

Unfortunately clown does not handle blu ray 3d. I use anydvd so you get stuck with seamless branch

Cheers,
Damian

post #18 of 26 Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately clown does not handle blu ray 3d. I use anydvd so you get stuck with seamless branch

THat's too bad. So do you do just a full disc rip using AnyDVD or do you then using something else to get it down to the movie-only?
post #19 of 26 Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

THat's too bad. So do you do just a full disc rip using AnyDVD or do you then using something else to get it down to the movie-only?

Full disc rip. You could get a main movie rip with DVDFab but since I already have an AnyDVD license I am not going to pay for an additional DVDFab license.

Cheers,
Damian

post #20 of 26 Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Full disc rip. You could get a main movie rip with DVDFab but since I already have an AnyDVD license I am not going to pay for an additional DVDFab license.

Thanks dbone, I guess I was hoping there was an alternative to Fab as I haven't had much luck using it to create 3D movie-only BDMVs (2D works great!). I happen to have both Fab and AnyDVD but that's only because I bought Fab first and then I bought AnyDVD to rip my HDDVDs when I realized it could rip those as well. Incidentally, 3D BDMVs created with AnyDVD work great - the only negative is that the rips are twice the size of the disc so some rip to over 90 GB.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-20-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks dbone, I guess I was hoping there was an alternative to Fab as I haven't had much luck using it to create 3D movie-only BDMVs (2D works great!). I happen to have both Fab and AnyDVD but that's only because I bought Fab first and then I bought AnyDVD to rip my HDDVDs when I realized it could rip those as well. Incidentally, 3D BDMVs created with AnyDVD work great - the only negative is that the rips are twice the size of the disc so some rip to over 90 GB.

No, the rips are not twice the size. When you rip as ISO it comes out the size of the disc. When you rip as BD folder you get that issue (it is a bug and they warn you not to rip to folder).

I am hopeful Slyce comes out soon and will give us most of what we need (however, I asked and it appears there won't be an option to merge seamless branch into one m2ts file like Clown_BD does frown.gif )

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=53392

Cheers,
Damian

post #22 of 26 Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the rips are not twice the size. When you rip as ISO it comes out the size of the disc. When you rip as BD folder you get that issue (it is a bug and they warn you not to rip to folder).

I am hopeful Slyce comes out soon and will give us most of what we need (however, I asked and it appears there won't be an option to merge seamless branch into one m2ts file like Clown_BD does frown.gif )

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=53392

Thanks dbone, I realize the issue does not manifest when you create an ISO, and most would have no reason to create a BDMV folder.

However, given that the media players in this thread (which are probably the two best options at the moment for 3D) seem to have issues with reliably playing back all 3D blu-rays due to seamless branching and forced subtitles I've been trying to temporarily use my Oppo BDP-103 which has no issue with seamless branching and forced subtitles (though it does have cinavia so a couple of my titles won't play) but only can play BDMVs over SMB, not ISOs.

I'm not sure as I can't recall the source but I remember seeing an explanation on why a rip to BDMV is double the size and it didn't sound like it was a bug that could be fixed. On the other hand DVDFab doesn't have this issue when you create a BDMV but then, it doesn't seem to work (at least for me) and they recommend mounting 3D BDMVs in software players using a Fab created mini iso (essentially a file that allows you to mount the BDMV as an iso).

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the thread guys - I'm just exploring the possibilities for creating 3D BDMVs and this seemed like a good thread for it.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Will there be a fix for down sampling true hd to stereo? thats the only issue i have right now. I guess i could add a second ac3 track to those few mkvs.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post

Will there be a fix for down sampling true hd to stereo? thats the only issue i have right now. I guess i could add a second ac3 track to those few mkvs.

As of now no since it would require getting a license (which I assume Dune would have gotten already if they planned on adding that functionality)

This is the tool I have used to add a secondary AC3 track to mkvs:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=20887

Cheers,
Damian

post #25 of 26 Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 AM

I just received my TV-303D - its a great streamer, and I don't mind not having TrueHD decoding. I was wondering about the difference between this and the Base3D - It seems with the HD audio patch the 303D can decode multichannel to PCM just fine. Is there anything else I'm missing out on with the Base3D aside from the 3.5" bay vs. 2.5"? That doesn't matter to me as I'm streaming content from a NAS anyway..
post #26 of 26 Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVik View Post

I just received my TV-303D - its a great streamer, and I don't mind not having TrueHD decoding. I was wondering about the difference between this and the Base3D - It seems with the HD audio patch the 303D can decode multichannel to PCM just fine. Is there anything else I'm missing out on with the Base3D aside from the 3.5" bay vs. 2.5"? That doesn't matter to me as I'm streaming content from a NAS anyway..

Form factor is only difference

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page