NAS and Media Streamer setup options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going to pick up a Synology or Qnap Nas in a few days. Haven't decided on which one.They both seem to have very good options. The interfaces that each company uses is really nice. I have also tried out Plex and it would be ok to use if needed.

I will be using it to store my ripped blurays,music, family videos and pictures,pc backup and to control my security cameras in the future. I also want to get a Roku,WDTV,etc for my Netflix,Hulu,Amazon,etc. I'm leaning towards the Roku 2 XS,due to WDTV not supporting Amazon Prime,which I also have an account. I even checked out the WDTV Live hub,but not sure about it for my needs,since I will be using a NAS for storage.

I'm not sure if one model of NAS from either company would be better for my purpose or how I would need to get things setup.That's why I need your guys help.

Price range of around $400-$600 for the NAS. The Roku,etc are so cheap,I'm not factoring it into my price range. Atleast two bays,and four would be ok for future upgrades.

Files>>>> MKV,MP3,Mpeg,Avi,,Mov,Wmv,etc. 1080p

Let me know what you guys think and what route I should take. If you need more info.let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Roku is useless for those kind of files it only supports h.264/mp4 and h.264/mkv videos. If sticking with Plex then you need to get a GoogleTV device as it supports more media types.

As to which NAS well the Arm based Synology NAS are much cheaper compared to the x86 models but the Arm NAS cannot transcode video whereas the x86 models have limited transcoding support. The Intel Atom CPU can handle transcoding some low res videos, it might fill in the gaps on any media types not supported by the GoogleTV Plex client.

Or stick with an Arm based model like the DS413J and just convert any of the remaining videos which don't play on the GoogleTV. You could manually convert everything to work on the Roku too but that would be a lot more work.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A buddy of mine has a WDTV LIve that he doesn't use,and he said he would sell it to me for $20. How would it be with the NAS? If I have to convert some videos so it would work,not a big deal. They will mainly be MKV files anyways.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page