Encoding subtitles to only show during non english spoken parts. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there

Whilst recently encoding Breaking bad series for WDTV I notice that I would require subtitles. Until season 3 haven't required subtitles.
I need them for integral parts of the plot when the characters are not speaking english.

When watching the dvd as soon as they start speaking the translation appears in english.

How can i achieve this when encoding to digital format. Without encoding the whole DVD. If it can be done with avi or mp4 or mkv files.

I use a WDTV for playback, If i were using a mac mini running plex I could easily do full dvd back up and playback that way.

I have a PC and a Mac that I use for encoding.

Running WinX dvd ripper pro and the Mac version MacX dvd ripper pro, both paid for and work well for my current needs.

Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet vort View Post

How can i achieve this when encoding to digital format. Without encoding the whole DVD. If it can be done with avi or mp4 or mkv files.

I use a WDTV for playback, If i were using a mac mini running plex I could easily do full dvd back up and playback that way.
I use the WDTV Live. I rip my TV series DVD as full disk .iso files. The WD Live plays the .iso with full menu support as if the disk were in a player. So all the forced subtitles play perfectly and automatically. I've been watching Hero's season 1. All the english translations when Hiro and Ando are speaking Japanese appear on the screen automatically.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 4 Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This is how to do it
1) Rip the DVD using MakeMKV taking all English subtitle tracks, makemkv extracts the video streams from the disc to mkv files with all the associated audio and subtitle tracks (if selected before ripping).

2) Play the mkv file in VLC and at that point where the forced subtitles are on screen cycle through the various subtitles in the mkv file to see which track number holds the correct subtitle.

3) In Handbrake load in the mkv file and on the subtitle page tick the box for burn in subtitles then select the correct subtitle track from the drop down box and add it. Then encode your video and it should hopefully burn the subtitles into the video stream.

All that software is free & cross platform so should work on Mac or PC.

If you wanted to convert the subtitles into something that looks nicer on screen that is a little more complicated

I don't know which software for Mac's but for PC's get subtitle edit and load the mkv file directly into it then select the subtitle track and convert it using auto-ocr then save as a .srt subtitle file, any decent video encoder should support importing .srt file and select burn subtitles into video stream.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
1) Remux your DVD to MKV using MakeMKV. Make sure to include the subtitle track(s) you want.

2) Open the MKV with MKVMerge Header Editor and change the relevant subtitle track to forced:

3) Save the changes.

If your media player doesnt respect the 'forced' flag then throw it in the garbage and buy one that does.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page