Storage server decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I need some help deciding on a storage solution. I need to network my storage so that all computers can access it.

I've been thinking about this for a long time now, and I think I had a previous thread about it.

Now I need to decide, but I can't bring myself to a decision, as every option seems viable. If I list them below:

Option 1: purchase a 2006 Mac Pro (used) for £500 and fill it with hard drives, install lion server and use it as a NAS, plex server, print server and when I need the extra power, a desktop pc for editing etc...

Option 2: a synology NAS - either a RS812 or a diskstation. I'm don't know wether to purchase a rackable synology or not, but I like racking things! The RS812 has 4 bays same as Mac Pro and can be got for ~£500 (new)

Option 3: as before, but with a Mac mini server

Option 4: build an atom based windows server (I run an all mac system, so not ideal)

What do you think is the best option? I need lots of storage (12tb+) for my media collection, photos, final cut raw files etc... I already have 12tb of drives on my desk, but the only way to connect them is by plugging them into a USB 2.0 sata adaptor, so pretty much a useless solution.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated, and please feel free ask any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I built my own UnRaid server. However, I do not own any iOS computers only iPads and iPhones.

Here the link to UnRaid website.

http://lime-technology.com/

http://lime-technology.com/forum/

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had a Synology NAS for over a year and like it a lot. Going this route can be more expensive, but it depends on what you need. I bought one of these because I can have it download torrents without needing my PC on. It also comes with a bunch of other apps too. If you just need a basic server with Raid I would build a server to save money.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM

Liked: 14
I too have a Synology (a DS1511+ with 5 - 3TB drives in a Raid 5 config with 10GB+ usable) and I have been very happy with it. The reliability is excellent, rebuilding arrays is easy and the performance is very good. What I also like are the free apps available to allow my iPad and iPhone to easily view pictures, listen to music and download files. Mine has been running without a hitch for 2 years now.

I thought about building my own NAS but went with Synology due to the items I covered above and good support from the company. If you spend the extra money you won't be disappointed.

I would take a serious look at their new DS1512+ with 5 bays and view their 4TB compatible drives. That would put you up near 16TB with around 12 to 13TB of usable if my calculations are correct in a Raid 5. I went with R5 for added performance.

FTL
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah, i'm still not sure. I've spent all day looking at the synologys.

This is the conclusion I have come to at the moment:

- the synologys are very expensive. I can get a 4 bay synology for the same price as a 2006 mac pro. From what people have said they work well, but are limited in terms of expansion, unless you use an expansion module (more money). But with a mac pro, I can fit, using firewire, usb etc... up to 11-12 drives, and have the pro handle backups and storage all in one box, while also acting as a plex media server and HTPC.

A man local to me has offered a 2006 mac pro, which was refurbished by apple in 2011 to me for £500. I'm not sure wether to purchase it, or spend £500 on a synology.

What do you think?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by breney View Post

What do you think?
Punt... and save lots of money biggrin.gif
Build you own PC for under $300- fill it with as many hard drives as you want and run it on FreeNAS (yes it's 100% free for as many drives as you can stuff in your box) or UnRaid (you have to purchase a license if you exceed 3 hard drives).

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #7 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I am thinking of building another server and using FlexRaid since you can have more than 1 parity drive just in case multiple drives fail.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by breney View Post

Yeah, i'm still not sure. I've spent all day looking at the synologys.

This is the conclusion I have come to at the moment:

- the synologys are very expensive. I can get a 4 bay synology for the same price as a 2006 mac pro. From what people have said they work well, but are limited in terms of expansion, unless you use an expansion module (more money). But with a mac pro, I can fit, using firewire, usb etc... up to 11-12 drives, and have the pro handle backups and storage all in one box, while also acting as a plex media server and HTPC.

A man local to me has offered a 2006 mac pro, which was refurbished by apple in 2011 to me for £500. I'm not sure wether to purchase it, or spend £500 on a synology.

What do you think?

What type of Raid config would you use with the Mac setup?
post #9 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I am thinking of building another server and using FlexRaid since you can have more than 1 parity drive just in case multiple drives fail.
Good feature... but why the heck are drives still so expensive? The floods were in 2011 mad.gif
We've also seen the warranties shrink from 5 years to just 2 or 3 now on consumer level drives!

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #10 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Good feature... but why the heck are drives still so expensive? The floods were in 2011 mad.gif
We've also seen the warranties shrink from 5 years to just 2 or 3 now on consumer level drives!

And no more Samsung. frown.gif Best drives I ever bought.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 23
If you can afford it no doubt Synology.

Their new NAS systems should be announced soon. I would imagine there might be a price break to get rid of the older inventory. Not sure how long you can wait however in your own situation.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page