External Hard Drive vs Media Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Denon 4311ci receiver and Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player in a 7.1 setup. Having over 500 Cd's and 100's of Blu-Rays and DVD's is becoming cumbersome and I am looking to start burning these media to either a 3TB External Hard drive or a network server. Being new at this I have a few questions and would appreciate any input.

1) What software is best to burn the discs to hard drives?
2) What is difference between using a regular External drive vs a media server? I plan on just hooking up the External HDD via usb to either the receiver or the blu-ray player
3) What device is best to use for streaming? The Denon receiver or the Oppo?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 346
1) Look for the Ripping Blu-rays thread in this forum tons of information there, there are multiple choices and "best" all depends on what you are looking for. There are a numper of threads on this subject as well which should give you some better insight....

2) A media server runs an OS or somesorts (chose your flavor) and can be managed like a normal PC\Server, an HDD is jsut a "dubmb" device only housing the media

3)Im going to guess the Oppo, since I belive that may support more files and Blu-ray ISOs......I believe there is a thread on the Oppo 93 in this forum....

If you only ahve 3 TB, you are going to need a lot more space unless you compress either your movies and or your music.....e#TB seems like a lot but with BDISO at ~50GB and even good rips at ~29-30GB the space will go quickly.......

You should 1st decide what you are looking to do, are you looking to share and manage via a server or jsut plug in an HDD and move files to it.. Then decide how you are going to rip your collection, once thats done you can see if your players\AVR will play the files you want to rip.....Do some research in this forum as there is a ton of information, it can be daunting at 1st, but once you start to focus your efforts well be able to better help you get where you want...
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page