Streaming ISOs to ATV3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I have been scowering the internet, to try and find a way to play BD ISO, and DVD ISO, on my sons ATV3. I know there is currently no support. A jailbroken ATV2, with firecore, can play DVD ISO, and M2TS files (however, I have a 3, and some movies are split up). Im going to be building a NAS, and im considering giving it a little bit of HP (xeon 1230, 16-32GB ram). Is there any way to have the server encode on the fly as needed, and stream it to the ATV3?

Id just ditch the ATV3, however my son uses it quiet well (he is 3), and he can pick a movie to watch, or airplay youtube clips of thomas the train, Pocoyo, or mario and lugi, as he sees fit.

If this isnt possible, i may just have to increase NAS size, rip, and re-encode for itunes, though thats gonna hog some space id rather leave free for future movies.

Im currently using a WD Mybook live, 3TB, and in the process of ripping my BDs, in ISO, to play on my Dune D1, and im over 50% full already, and still have a ways to go. So, I need to pul the trigger on a NAS shortly. Id imagine I will fill this drive before I get through my boxes of discs, and be needing more room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose my proposed NAS hardware might be benificial to the thread. And why im considering the hardware

Fractal Design Define R4
- 10 HDD slots (8 - 3.5", 2 more if converting 5.25") Very clean look, cooling.

Tyan S5512
- Onboard LSI 8 Port SAS, 6 additional SATA ports, Dual GB Lan via Intel Intel 82574L, Supports ECC, will work with FreeNAS if I go RAIDZ for ECC

Xeon 1230 V2
- Quad Core, HT, Supports ECC (though an i3 2100 series would aswell). Incase I decide to encode on the fly to a different media player etc, in the future.

Coolermaster Hyper 212+
- Keep Xeon cool, and quiet for very little cost

Kingston 2x8GB DDR3 ECC ram
-ZFS loves ram, and leaves 2 slots open to go to 32GB if needed (max of board)

Antec Earthwatts 650W
- Fairly efficient, quiet, and reasonably cheap, with quality I can rely on.

WD Red 3TB
- Built for NAS, though most likely overkill for low duty cycle of my media server, but should be reliable.

This server, minus the drives, can be had for the same price as an 8 slot Synology, with a lot more HP, futureproofing, flexability, and easier hardware replacement/repair/upgrading.

The only downside is having to set it up, and maintaining.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I don't use ATV for the simple fact that they are limited with video and audio formats. I use my Dune D1 and PCH-A210 for streaming of my movies, but I do not do BD ISO. I only do TV Shows DVD ISO's. All my BD are main movie folder structure only ripped with ClownBD + AnyDVD HD with HD and AC3 audio tracks.

I built my own unraid server at the moment only 10TB, but running out of space already. I've got 3 iPads, and 2 iPhones. I was able to install an AirVideo plugin in my server that can transcode BD movies and stream them to the iPads. Or you might be able to use Plex for transcoding too.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I bought it a long time ago, as my son knocked off the USB HDD for his TV, and damaged the USB port. Instead of repairing the TV, I went ATV for him to watch his movies. Now id like to step up, and allow better playback, but still keep the ease of his airplay to ATV from the ipad/ipod/iphones we have in the house. A jailbreak would make the world a better place for me, but im not holding my breath on the ATV3.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep an eye on www.firecore.com. I use their software for streaming ISOs to the TVs in the house. Currently, it only works on ATV2 but ATV3 should be coming some day.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotsalas View Post

Keep an eye on www.firecore.com. I use their software for streaming ISOs to the TVs in the house. Currently, it only works on ATV2 but ATV3 should be coming some day.

Holy MOTHER OF PEARL! If I had a dollar, nay make it a dime, for every time someone has said that, I could buy ....well...ANYTHING!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page