NAS replacement for media files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Guys. I am looking for a replacement for my Acer Easystore H340. I have a drive failure and think its time to purchase a 4 disk NAS. I currently have a mixture of 3X1TB and 1X3TB drives in the Acer. It will not read above 1TB of the 3TB drive...long story. Anyways I run plex throughout the house to a Mac Mini and an Apple TV 2 with only 720p content. The Acer has a 1.60 Atom processor and 2Gb of ram. I believe I should not be too worried about the NAS processor and ram since the devices that play my media do the transcoding. Correct me if I am wrong. I am leaning towards the Synology line and would have got the one at newegg last week but it was white (call me crazy). Do you guys have some recommendations of models I should look at? Not looking forward to moving the data off my Acer its over 3.5TB

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Synology makes excellent products, but they are expensive. Why not build your own NAS / Server? I built my own unRaid server, which can hold over 20 drives. There are other OS that you can use such as FreeNAS, FlexRaid, WHS, etc.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page