3D MKV question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do you preserve the 3D attributes when converting a Blu-ray 3D disk to MKV?

I have several 3D discs I own I want to convert to MKV and put on my media server.
So far every attempt with several different programs has resulted in a perfect MKV but with
no 3D. Is there a specific program you need to preserve the 3D attributes when converting?

I am playing back the MKV with my LG BP620 Blu-ray player that supports 3D and watching
on a LG 3D TV.

Could it be the player will play 3D BRD but not the 3D MKV?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Are you looking for a mentor
www.winningonlinebusiness.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
As far as I know (I could be wrong), MKV can only do 3D with either side-by-side or over-under split screen formats. So your converted 3D is probably really just a 2D MKV with either the right or left view only. For full 3D you would have two MKV files, and probably need a special software player to play it.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just to expand on that, there is no free/public H.264 MVC encoder which is how 3D video is generated for Blu-ray/AVCHD. So pretty much everyone resorts to using x264 with the SBS style 3D video, should x264 gain MVC support one day then it will become a lot easier to generate that kind of video.

However you can get the BD H.264 MVC video stream into an MKV file without conversion by using MakeMKV, this copies the video into the MKV container so you have no quality loss, it's the best option if you have the free space to hold all the movies. That said not all TV's have a manually activated 3D mode that will work with MVC material but luckily LG do, I think it's the last one of their list of 3D modes.

If you want to generate high quality SBS compressed rips of the BD then BDtoAVCHD is the easiest & free way to do it, it will only prompt you to convert 3D Blu-ray's if you feed it the full disc BDMV folder so you have to rip the entire disc to HDD first.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page