MoCA losing connection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple days ago I set up a MoCA network with a handful of Actiontec MI424-WR (rev F) routers off eBay. Configured using info here - basically - disable wireless, disable broadband coax, disable IP address distribution, assign unique IP.

My setup is CenturyLink Q1000 DSL (bridge mode) -> Netgear WNR1000 -> everything else (including 4 TiVos.) Comcast for digital TV service. Goal is to get better streaming between the TiVos, maybe eliminate a couple of them and swap for TiVo minis in the future. For now I've got two TiVo Premieres, an HD, and an S3. The HD is direct ethernet; the primary Actiontec + Netgear are at the same location. Premieres and S3 on Actiontecs via MoCA. Everything worked great, I could transfer between all of them much better than I ever could on wireless. Went to bed, got up the next morning, and none of them could see each other.

Verified from a computer that I could not log in to the admin screen of the 3 remote Actiontecs. The primary one, connected to the router, I could get to OK. After rebooting/ unplugging/ the remote Actiontecs, everything eventually came back up. Next day, again, all had lost connection.

The wiring in my house is far from optimal, I know there are a couple of splitters buried in walls with no way to get to them. In the interest of trying to minimize loss, I'm using a Holland DPD2 diplexer to split the frequencies at each coax outlet (vhf outlet to TiVo, sat to Actiontec.) I put a 4way 2-2150MHz splitter at the cable inlet - SWM MSPLIT4R0-03 - with a POE filter on the input side. Frankly I was surprised it all worked. But it did.

I'm not including a number of details here for the sake of brevity. I can certainly provide more if it would help. It just seems like there may be something basic I'm missing in the router settings. The only other obvious thing I can come up with is trying to reduce signal loss - at the HD TiVo outlet, it reports cable strength as 62. The other TiVos are around 85-100. The HD outlet is also where I have the first ActionTec feeding into the rest of the house, so given that that line is weak, could that be problem? Can a weak signal manifest as having connection for awhile, but eventually dropping out?

(edit - checked Coax Connection Stats for MoCA speed on the primary Actiontec - all devices appear to be ~235-240 Mbps.)

I can run some temporary cables to other locations to troubleshoot, maybe test one coax outlet at a time - but given the connection takes hours+ to drop, that will be a long process. If it is just a router setting, I'd rather figure that out first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Borrowing the title because my issue is the same. Remote Verizon Actiontec MI424WR (Rev E & F). The Master is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev. G. I've changed all the splitters to a 5-2300 Mhz, and put POE MOCA filters at the demarcation point and at the cable modem. Followed steps to make a bridge out of them, and it worked...for awhile. Then they disappeared til I reboot the remote units. Found a thread were someone suggested it was the time functions causing the issues. Turned them off and everything worked for two days. Now, same thing and a reboot fixed that. Before I invest any more money in this, so far unsuccessful enterprise. Could my problem be cause by one being Actiontec and the other two Verizon? The coax appears to be RG59.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page