Future of Pivos AIOS media center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
Now that Pivos released the Xios, would they continue to sell, support, and enhance the AIOS?

I really need a media player now and don't want to deal with the issues with the new XIOS/Android. Plus there is no digital out on the XIOS.

It seems that AIOS would do what I need; to access/play/view (many formats) my videos and photos on my NAS, plus access many internet video sources.

Anyone willing to post their experiences with the Pivos AIOS?

Do you need to have the files on the HDD of the Pivos or can it access NAS-based files?

Does it matter what Media Server I run on the NAS? My NAS is the Synology DS213+.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 601
There is a thread about this already. I used to own an AIOS. In my personal opinion, the media player works. However, the UI is ugly and remote isn't very responsive. A jukebox is available, but it requires some work to make it work. If you don't want to spend more than $90 dollars for a media player this will be the one. If you want something better, you will have to go with Dune, Mede8er or PCH.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

There is a thread about this already. I used to own an AIOS. In my personal opinion, the media player works. However, the UI is ugly and remote isn't very responsive. A jukebox is available, but it requires some work to make it work. If you don't want to spend more than $90 dollars for a media player this will be the one. If you want something better, you will have to go with Dune, Mede8er or PCH.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387436/pivos-aios-hd-media-center-the-semiofficial-thread

Thanks for the quick reply. I am certainly not trying to do this on the cheap. The Pivos $90 price is nice, but given that my home theater is many thousands of dollars I don't mind spending a few bucks on a nice media player.

I already have a player that plays CDs, DVDs, abd BlueRays. So all I need is something to play and view all my local (NAS) contents such as videos and photos. Plus I like what AIOS offers in that it has a web browser and can access lots of internet sources. I like the idea of all its apps. I also like the idea of a built in browser. It seems I hear that the Dune browser has limitations.

I looked a little bit at the Dune, but it seems that it combines a disk player as well, which I don't need.

Other comments/suggestions?

I'm still open for ideas on the best media player.
thanks,
Steve
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I am certainly not trying to do this on the cheap. The Pivos $90 price is nice, but given that my home theater is many thousands of dollars I don't mind spending a few bucks on a nice media player.

I already have a player that plays CDs, DVDs, abd BlueRays. So all I need is something to play and view all my local (NAS) contents such as videos and photos. Plus I like what AIOS offers in that it has a web browser and can access lots of internet sources. I like the idea of all its apps. I also like the idea of a built in browser. It seems I hear that the Dune browser has limitations.

I looked a little bit at the Dune, but it seems that it combines a disk player as well, which I don't need.

Other comments/suggestions?

I'm still open for ideas on the best media player.
thanks,
Steve

Good luck using the browser on any media player. It might sound and look good, but is is nothing compare to using a browser on your PC or even tablet. Dune media player have different models, and several of them have the option to have a disk drive. I personally use the Dune Smart Series, and PCH-A210. I personally use the media player for streaming movies only. I cannot comment on music, browser or photos. Mede8er has a jukebox for music, but they lack a good TV Show jukebox. I like how easy is it to set up and maintain the Zappiti jukebox for movie and TV Shows. If you want the addition of 3D playback the best media player out right now is the Mede8er, but you will have to know how to set up NFS shares.

Home Theater Set Up:

Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased the AIOS a couple of years ago and now have 2. I am very familiar with this unit. You can not beat the price and the build quality is nice. It plays every format I can throw at it including Blu Ray ISO's. DTS-MA and DD-TA support, internal HD. I love this thing.

Many people complain about the stock user interface. I would agree that it is crap. But the best thing about this player is there is a very active user forum where the employees are constantly on. www.pivosforums.com. They also release "semi official" firmware (last one was in June 2013) constantly. The semi official firmware dramatically improves on the layout and adds lots of functionality. The latest one just fixed the youtube issue and youtube works again.

The only thing I don't like about the unit is the netowrking is slow for streaming uncompressed Blu Ray. But I was told I was expecting too much from this machine. It's a media streamer and not a NAS (even though it can do that in limited capacity). For 90 bucks, I was told I was expecting too much. I was told to look at a Synology NAS to stream Blu Ray ISO's and those will run $350 bucks or so. So I think for $90, people are right when they give me this advice. If you do set it up to network, use NFS and not SMBA asn SMBA is slow.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post

I purchased the AIOS a couple of years ago and now have 2. I am very familiar with this unit. You can not beat the price and the build quality is nice. It plays every format I can throw at it including Blu Ray ISO's. DTS-MA and DD-TA support, internal HD. I love this thing.

Many people complain about the stock user interface. I would agree that it is crap. But the best thing about this player is there is a very active user forum where the employees are constantly on. www.pivosforums.com. They also release "semi official" firmware (last one was in June 2013) constantly. The semi official firmware dramatically improves on the layout and adds lots of functionality. The latest one just fixed the youtube issue and youtube works again.

The only thing I don't like about the unit is the netowrking is slow for streaming uncompressed Blu Ray. But I was told I was expecting too much from this machine. It's a media streamer and not a NAS (even though it can do that in limited capacity). For 90 bucks, I was told I was expecting too much. I was told to look at a Synology NAS to stream Blu Ray ISO's and those will run $350 bucks or so. So I think for $90, people are right when they give me this advice. If you do set it up to network, use NFS and not SMBA asn SMBA is slow.

There isn't any Realtek 1185 chip that can play Full Menu ISO. I think you meant BD lite. I believe the only BD Menu it will play is if it has the older 1.0 menus.

Home Theater Set Up:

Old 07-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you may be right. I only rip the "movie only" to ISO so I don't really know about the menus.