Apple or Netgear? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I jumped on the Best Buy Deal of the Day late last month for the refurb Apple Airport Extreme at $90. However, I have since learned that the product comes with no warranty and has some iffy reviews. I haven't opened the box yet, as I can still return for a full refund. My question to you experts is: stick with Apple or go with a NEW Netgear WNDR3700 at the exact same price. My usage will be pretty basic: iPad, iPods, iPhones, Apple tv, occasional guest connection, probably no game system streaming (at least not for a few years until my kids get a little older).

Thanks in advance for shedding your wisdom!

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM

I don't have any experience with the Netgear, but I can endorse the AirPort Extreme. I've been using mine for years and it's worked great. It's easy to setup and manage and there is even an App for you IOS devices to manage it remotely. My network is a little bigger than yours with an iMac, windows laptop, Linux WS, three Apple TVs, a couple of iPhones, and I just added a Panasonic TV and Blu-ray player to it this week.

There was even a firmware update released today to improve compatibility with WPS printers.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I owned a WNDR3700, and it was a great router. I still have it, but I don't use it due to having U-Verse as my internet provider, and the 2Wire modem/router do not play nicely with the WNDR3700. However, if you can get the WNDR3700 for $90 dollars new, I would go with it instead of refurbished and no warranty. I know a lot of people who use the AirPort Extreme and they are satisfied with it...specially if you have iOS devices.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know that the Airport is the better router all things being equal. I'm just concerned with Best Buy's QC on refurbs, especially with no warranty. Wondering if anyone has any experience with BB refurb products.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page