I need networking help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a Micca media player (streamer also?) - which can act as a dnla and an Asus media player.
I would like to be able to play the video stored on the hard drive connected to Micca in Room1, using the Asus in Room 2.

Here is my setup:

Room #1
1. Mica EP6200 Network Streaming and Sharing
There are more ways for getting media content to and from the EP600 G2 than ever. The EP600 G2 can stream and play media files from shared folders or UPnP servers on the local area network, such as a computer or NAS device. The EP600 G2 has a built-in SAMBA file server which, when combined with its support for large hard drives and fast Gigabit Ethernet LAN, is an effective solution for sharing media files to other devices on the local area network. Media files can also be pushed to the EP600 G2 for playback through its DNLA interface using iPhone, Android, or Windows 7. Regardless of how you store your media files, the EP600 G2 offers a way to get to it.
http://content.miccastore.com/micca-ep600
Connected an Mediasonic 8 bay enclosure with 5 hard drives to one of it's USB ports.

Room #2
2. Asus Oplay HDP-R1
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_HDPR1/
One Western digital external hard drive, connected to Asus via usb.

Both are are on my home network but.. They are on different routers/switches: I have three linksys wireless router/switch units.
cable modem to Llinksys 1 going to a switch - from which two more linksys router/switches are connected.

There are a couple of switches also involved.

I don't know how to set up the home network over all of these different routers and swiches.. and frankly, I don't really care about it.

The only thing that interests me is that I want to be able to access the Mediasonic via the network, with the Asus Oplay.

Is this possible?
Below are the settings.
Can someone advise me about setting up these two?

Thank you.

micca

asus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You say that " Both are are on my home network but.. They are on different routers/switches: I have three linksys wireless router/switch units. " I would make certain that only one of the wireless routers is setup to serve IP addresses via DHCP or it may be causing issues if they all can assign IP addresses.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsamples View Post

You say that " Both are are on my home network but.. They are on different routers/switches: I have three linksys wireless router/switch units. " I would make certain that only one of the wireless routers is setup to serve IP addresses via DHCP or it may be causing issues if they all can assign IP addresses.
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, I have no idea how to do that.. You are probably correct. They might all be set up to serve IP addresses via DHCP. I will look into modifying them.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM

A short explanation would be to log into each wireless router via a web browser using the gateway address of 192.168.1.1 .. Key that into a web browser.. User Id is blank and password is probably admin if you have not changed it. From there on the main screen turnoff the dhcp by disabling it. Do this on all but one of the Linksys wireless devices. Oh and you will need to power them all off but the one you modifying so you know for certain which one you're connecting to. Also I would leave the one connected directly to you internet provider alone. Only modify the others to disable DHCP. Hope it helps.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Why are they on different subnets?

Bill
post #6 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM

I didn't even notice that but knew more than one wireless running DHCP would cause issues. The different subnet masks will cause issues as well.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Liked: 16
Notice that the IP address are the same on both devices and that only the subnet is different with different gateways of the same IP. Simple way to fix your network is take out the other two routers and just use switches; at least until you can configure your other routers properly into your network.

The network is confused as it looks like only the devices on the same router can see each other and act like three different networks (assumption), but everyone can get to the internet. Ideally the two non DHCP routers would be set to bridge mode and given static IPs from the router with DHCP bringing the whole network into a single subnet and IP range, and allows the use of the wan port on the bridge routers in use to connect to the main DHCP router.

Here is a little run down on how to setup your network. The network should look like DHCP router with switch that connects to the wan ports of the other two routers in bridge mode (makes them a switch with wireless ability) that then connect to the other devices or switches and/or hubs. Note that once you set static IPs on your non DHCP routers you access the settings through that static IP as 192.168.1.1 would only let you access your main DHCP router. Remember to start with your main device (DHCP router) and work your way out using your two static IPs minimum to your other routers in bridge mode. Keep your subnet to 255.255.255.0 to keep things simple and do your static IPs 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 that should be available to set up in your network settings of your DHCP router. If you really want to make things easy you put all your devices you use a lot into static IPs on the DHCP so you can easily connect to them from other devices.

Hope that helps some.

Panasonic 60ZT60
Onkyo TX-NR818
OPPO BDP-103
KEF Fivetwo Series Model 11
SVS PC12 Plus
Xbox One
post #8 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thank you all for the information.
You are all correct that multiple wireless routers are causing the issues. Well, I need those routers anyway, for their wireless. But I can always replace their switching function with a couple of switches.

Thanks to your suggestions, I did get it to work.

Here is what worked and what did not work.
1. I removed routers from the configuration - that Room1 and Room2 are connected via switches but not two different routers. There is only the main router which is common to the switches. Other routers are now being used only as wifi points. I did not change their dhcp settings.

2. Configuration which did not work: - From router, internet goes to a trendnet 8 port switch. From Trend net 8 port switch, there are two 4 port linksys switches (not routers). 4 portswitch1 is in room1 and 4 portswitch2 is in room 2. This configuration did not work.

3. Worked: From router, internet wire is connected to 4 portswitch1. One wire goes to the Micca devise. A second wire goes to room 2 - 4 portswitch2. To this switch, I connected the Asus media player (and two other devices) and also the wireless router (which is only emitting wifi SSID). This configuration worked..

The only difference between 2 and 3 is the trendnet switch. Its not a router. It says its an 8 port switch - model Trendnet TEG-S80g. My problem is solved but I am curious as to why it did not work, with Trendnet in the loop. The reason for this question is - I would replace the trendnet with a 16 port switch (but I would still have to use the 4portswitch2 in room2). Hopefully, this would solve the problems..

Thanks.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

The only difference between 2 and 3 is the trendnet switch. Its not a router. It says its an 8 port switch - model Trendnet TEG-S80g. My problem is solved but I am curious as to why it did not work, with Trendnet in the loop. The reason for this question is - I would replace the trendnet with a 16 port switch (but I would still have to use the 4portswitch2 in room2). Hopefully, this would solve the problems..

The Trendnet is a green switch and it might be adjusting wrong and not providing the right power to the ports or the port you were using is dead. I have not been impressed with my Trendnet green switch that is the same as yours, it cuts my upload speed by at least half. The Trendnet is best used connected to the router and then connected to devices with its power sensing technology it seems from my experience.

Panasonic 60ZT60
Onkyo TX-NR818
OPPO BDP-103
SVS PC12 Plus
Xbox One
post #10 of 15 Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
For some reason or another, I had issues with the Trendnet TEG-S80g as well. It was directly connected to my router/modem, but for some reason or another it would only let my UnRaid server connect with 100 MB/s rather than gigabit. I've got a 5 port TrendNet switch that doesn't have that issue. I ended up replacing my 8 port trendnet switch with a Netgear 8 port switch and problem solve. I am still using the 5 port trendnet switch though.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Your comments about the trendnet switch are appreciated.
Thanks!
I should consider a different switch.
What's the difference between a managed switch and a non managed switch?
Then there is the gigabit switch Vs 100 mbps switches. I am assuming I won't need the gigabit switch?
post #12 of 15 Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Managed switch let's you control it like your routers, so it is not for you from what I get from your posts. Unmanaged switch is what you want. Gigabit just gives you faster speeds if your devices support it and is more future proof as most new devices are gigabit compliant. Get a gigabit switch if it is not much more in price.

Panasonic 60ZT60
Onkyo TX-NR818
OPPO BDP-103
SVS PC12 Plus
Xbox One
post #13 of 15 Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM

Glad you got it working. I guess your the first person on a home network I have seen with multiple wireless routers so that's why I thought the multiple DHCP servers would be causing the issues.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsamples View Post

Glad you got it working. I guess your the first person on a home network I have seen with multiple wireless routers so that's why I thought the multiple DHCP servers would be causing the issues.
My house is not huge.. Its three levels including basement and about 6000 sq ft. I can't get enough signal strength through out the house, without three WIFI routers.. Two in main level and one in basement. Upstairs is never a problem. I tried those range extenders, bridge devices etc.. but they were a pain and didn't work well.. Wireless routers are cheap and seem to work fine.. Now that you have explained, I will not use them for switching.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I also run two wifi routers, the 2nd one has a high static IP assigned, last one in the DHCP pool from the primary router, it's DHCP functions are turned off and everything works fine. When you do it this way dont hook a cable into the WAN/Internet port on the back or else it wont funtion properly with everything else on the network. Just hook the cable from the main run into port 1.

Bill
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page