Multi room system - JRMC & JRemote or XBMC & Yatse - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

For now I’m focussing most on the software and interface, then will work “back” to the hardware to run it.

Recently moved house, and for the first time in several years have the opportunity to set up a great system in several rooms. The lounge, study-bedroom, kitchen, patio and garage/ workshop. Music into all of the above, and video into most of them.
I have some good individual gear, but need a system to stream it and control it well, with flexibility. I’ve been looking around at what currently seems best, and would like feedback on the plan

I know quite a bit about good audio, some about basic AV, not much about streaming . .

I recently got an iPad 3, and for me a 10 inch tablet that I carry around is THE nicest way to control media. The size I find right, the high resolution images are a treat for the eyes, and if the software does everything you want . .

I’ve just learnt of two great options. JRMC - JRemote and XBMC – Yatse.
Currently JRemote being only for iPad, and Yatse only for Android. While I have an iPad, in the scheme of things I’d get an Android if XBMC – Yatse is overall better for me.

JRemote was Computer Audiophile’s 2012 Software Product of the Year http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/478-jremote-ios-remote-jriver-media-center-review/ . They mentioned that JRMC has multi zone playback, that every server running JRMC can be controlled as a different Zone.

* Does that mean (subject to hardware) JRMC can play *different media on each PC in a network?

The lounge has a 1080p TV, and a good projector – and the pj magnifies the video signal’s good and bad.

* sure display devices and media vary in quality, but do software media players??

The other rooms all need 720p, stereo audio (maybe online radio). Two can be Ethernet, but getting cable to the others would be messy – so wireless.

I’ll do decoding-encoding etc just in the lounge, so I’d think for other rooms:
- XBMC can run on the Raspberry pi http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/ , which is cheap and nicely compact.
- if I choose JRMC and need Windows, modest cost, mini-ITX quiet PCs should be fine.

I’ll probably run a ‘server’ most of the time, so likely get a NAS. Maybe HP’s MicroServer G7 N40L http://apcmag.com/hp-proliant-microserver-g7-n40l-review.htm available for about $240. The CPU is only a modest dual-core 1.5 GHz, but while the media streams mighty be simultaneous, they will nearly always be just one video, the rest 2 channel audio.

Can XBMC somehow get around not having simultaneous different media streams??

For this situation, what do you think - JRMC or XBMC?

Thanks in advance!

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you have a library of media and if so, what formats are your movies and music in?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi

I have a lot of music in FLAC, and quite a few TV shows and movies. But I don’t know what format the video is! As I currently I use VLC and it plays just about everything . . But the library isn’t that big, if need be I could convert formats as I need to.

Does XBMC play more formats than JRMC?

Some other things:

In the other rooms, music won’t run off the lounge room’s amp. Each will have its own stereo amp – I have a few spares.

Does JRMC’s multi-zone functionality run off multiple sound cards in one PC, or separate PCs??
post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you mentioned wireless, I was going to suggest Apple TVs as clients for each zone, but that would require your library to be in an iTunes friendly format. I don't know much about JRiver honestly. I have used XBMC and as an interface, I'm not a fan. The iPad remote functionality allows for both management and playback of my zones and library as well as individual remote capabilities of each Apple TV. The interfaces is very slick, the Netflix and Hulu GUis are the best available, and the overall reliability is. IMO unmatched in the network streaming world......and as to the 1080 zone, you'll need to hard wire that zone as full 1080p doesn't do wireless consistently.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Apple TV has its attractions, look, size, price, reliability ..

But would iTunes play all my flac files, and are their some video formats it won't play?

Cheers
post #6 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently the Applle doesn't play FLAC. Shame
post #7 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that much of limitation....of course your have to either re-encode or rip your discs to Apple lossless. I did, but felt it worth it. Took a while but.

Movies in iTunes are limited to MP4 but encode using Handbrake exceptionally well. If you don't already have a large library, well worth it to start with Apple.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming