post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I'm sort of stock with regards to how to rip 3D blu-rays. Ideally I'd like to rip just the movie to a BDMV folder (which my Oppo BDP-103 supports) and to rip titles with Cinavia to something my Dune HD Max will support (e.g. 3D MKV SBS). Any suggestions for how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

So far, the closest I have come is doing a full disc backup to BDMV using AnyDVD - it works but the file is double the size of the disc and I still need another software tool to get it down to just the movie. DVDFab has an option to do movie-only rips but it doesn't seem to work with 3D blu-rays (at least not for me) - I seem to be getting 2D instead of 3D movies from it.

I'm trying the trial of DVDFab 3D ripper and it does seem to do a decent job when it works but just one of the three titles I've attempted to rip worked using the quality 3D Mkv+audiocopy setting.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Try BDtoAVCHD instead, despite the name it can also convert 3D Blu-ray's into x264/mkv SBS 3D videos.

You have to rip the entire disc to the HDD first then point BDtoAVCHD at the BDMV folder and it will scan for video streams, if it finds a 3D stream it will then ask do you want to generate a 3D version. After that select mkv as the output and set audio to copy, then add the job and start it.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Try BDtoAVCHD instead, despite the name it can also convert 3D Blu-ray's into x264/mkv SBS 3D videos.

You have to rip the entire disc to the HDD first then point BDtoAVCHD at the BDMV folder and it will scan for video streams, if it finds a 3D stream it will then ask do you want to generate a 3D version. After that select mkv as the output and set audio to copy, then add the job and start it.

I gave it a shot last night but as of this morning it still isn't done. Even if this product works its far slower than DVDFab which took about 2 hours to generate a SBS 3D MKV on my PC - is this par for the course with this program or am I doing something wrong?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

No there's nothing wrong it's just BDtoAVCHD focuses on quality encodes (by default) instead of sacrificing quality for speed like DVDFab does.

On the main screen see were it says speed vs quality = medium well you can change that to various levels from fast to ultrafast, try experimenting with that to get a trade off that you are happy with in terms of time to compress and image quality.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No there's nothing wrong it's just BDtoAVCHD focuses on quality encodes (by default) instead of sacrificing quality for speed like DVDFab does.

On the main screen see were it says speed vs quality = medium well you can change that to various levels from fast to ultrafast, try experimenting with that to get a trade off that you are happy with in terms of time to compress and image quality.

Well, I'll give it another shot but so far DVDFab looks like a winner (assumming it works - 3 in a row now) - it produces good PQ results (indistinguishable on 65" plasma from the disc) on single pass and takes advantage of my nVidia graphics card to do it relatively quick - about an hour and a half at the highest quality level it allows me to set.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

I find the output from any GPU encoder to be appalling so to each his own I guess. Ultrafast should be as fast as a GPU encoder or thereabouts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I find the output from any GPU encoder to be appalling so to each his own I guess. Ultrafast should be as fast as a GPU encoder or thereabouts.

I don't know, I'm quite sensitive to a reduction in quality and up until now the only rips I've ever made are 1:1 blu-ray ISOs so I think I would have noticed if the results were appauling. For that matter, from my limited experimentation the 1:1 3D BDMV folders I've ripped for playback on my Oppo 103 don't look appreciably better than the few 3D SBS MKVs i've created with DVDFab - and really I don't think I've figured out how to get the most out of Fab as there are many settings with little in the way of a description so I'm still experimenting.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback but if Fab keeps working reliably I think the speed it offers warrants the cost.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can you rip 3D bluray to ISO and they play correctly?
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post

Can you rip 3D bluray to ISO and they play correctly?

If I rip a 3D blu-ray ISO neither my Oppo 103 nor my Dune HD Max can play that. My Dune can't play either 3D BDMV or ISO as it's a 2D player my Oppo can playback 3D BDMVs.

The Dune can however playback 3D MKV SBS or 3D Blu-Ray SBS - 3D Blu-Ray SBS looks quite good but the subtitles don't translate well from 2D to 3D - once in 3D mode they get split in half and to the far side of each side of the screen so for the Dune unless someone has another suggestion it looks like 3D MKV SBS is the way to go.

As for the Oppo, since full 3D playback is limited to BDMV it looks like AnyDVD is the best option, I've tried DVDFab and the filie size for BDMVs is equal to the disc size but it seems that as a result it's only playable in 3D if mounted as an ISO through a mini ISO created by the program so it doesn't look like that will work.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page